PDA

View Full Version : Quantifying bad trips..

sq764
10-31-2003, 08:43 PM
I like numbers and fractions and have this crazy idea that everything can be translated into numbers..

While some of that is true, I was curious if anyone, with any degree of accuracy, has been able to adjust speed figs and/or race times for troubled trips.

I understand that this is not an exact science, and depending on whether you saw the race or not, the pp's could be a bit off.. I was just curious if anyone had any process in place that worked well..

Whirlaway
10-31-2003, 09:16 PM
The "sheets" guys add ground loss on the turns to their numbers, but how are you going to quantify something like Ten Most Wanted getting knocked off stride in the Classic and never getting his rythm back? Or Storming Home clipping heels with Sulimani in the Turf, effectively ending the race for both. Numbers won't cut it.

creatureman
11-01-2003, 11:43 PM
yea and what about funny cide he veered badly. that pretty much finished him .

Valuist
11-02-2003, 01:55 PM
A guy I know takes it one step further than T-Graph or the Sheets. He also adds track bias and pace into the mix. He'll define the bias by path. For instance, a slight outside day may be a 3 path track and horses who race along the rail or 5 wide get 2 lengths added. Then he adds (or subtracts) for pace, whether or not a horse was helped or hindered by it. He had a program to do all the calculations. I tried quanitfying the bias by adding it to regular numbers by hand and it was very laborious. As long as you know a horse was helped or hindered by a bias or pace, is there really a need to quantify it?

creatureman
11-02-2003, 08:51 PM
I dont think there is a need to that far either. I use the kiss method Kiss. keep it simple stupid..