PDA

View Full Version : Alexi Ogando

Valuist
05-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Got a chance to see him pitch last night. I don't know if he's still under the radar but he won't be for long. He just went over the 100 inning mark in his brief career and the numbers are staggering:

win/loss: 9-1
innings: 101
ERA: 1.60
WHIP: 0.98
K-BB: 82-30
Batting average against: .192

Another position player convertee. Between him, Marmol and Sergio Santos, these are some of the three of the toughest guys to hit in MLB.

budman
05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
And just think, he could now be back in the bullpen if Feliz had decided to start. :)

Valuist
05-25-2011, 12:14 AM
He was hitting 96 on the radar gun.....and that was w/a short-arm motion.

ElKabong
05-25-2011, 12:38 AM
In a large thread during the 1rst Ranger-Yank series I posted about him. He's been a big surprise.

At the time i doubted he was a legit starter. To be honest I still doubt he can pitch vs bigtime lineups. He's had trouble vs NYY, a top notch lineup. All other teams he's faced have been either weak hitting lineups or slumping teams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic he's done so well....he's a legit starter now. But I want to see him again vs better lineups.

His success can be traced to Mike Maddux. He's acquired 2 pitches he didn't have last season. I think his arm slot will hamper his ability to improve, but what he has now is pretty darn good....#3 starter even if he's struggled vs a tough lineup.

Expect Mike Maddux to own half the Rangers by November ;) ....that's what it'll take to keep him here. There are better places to pitch than here (heat, bandbox of a park) and he knows it. Ray Davis will have to pay a premiuim to keep him here

ElKabong
05-25-2011, 12:46 AM
And just think, he could now be back in the bullpen if Feliz had decided to start. :)

When Feldman comes back, and he's into his old form, what then? Who is the odd man out in the rotation? Not Colby, CJ or Matty. They're doing too well, in CJ and Matty's case, they're Leftys....so is Holland and he's showing signs of promise & he's a Lefty.

With Ollie and Rhodes in the Pen they'll probably send a righty to the Pen. Ogando has experience and success there. Feldman hasn't. The R's need a strong set up guy from the right side.

Tough decision, one I like to have....just a month ago w/ all the guys on DL and the Pen cratering, everyone here eas worried....now things are sudden;ly looking better....crossing fingers

Valuist
05-25-2011, 11:36 AM
In a large thread during the 1rst Ranger-Yank series I posted about him. He's been a big surprise.

At the time i doubted he was a legit starter. To be honest I still doubt he can pitch vs bigtime lineups. He's had trouble vs NYY, a top notch lineup. All other teams he's faced have been either weak hitting lineups or slumping teams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic he's done so well....he's a legit starter now. But I want to see him again vs better lineups.

His success can be traced to Mike Maddux. He's acquired 2 pitches he didn't have last season. I think his arm slot will hamper his ability to improve, but what he has now is pretty darn good....#3 starter even if he's struggled vs a tough lineup.

Expect Mike Maddux to own half the Rangers by November ;) ....that's what it'll take to keep him here. There are better places to pitch than here (heat, bandbox of a park) and he knows it. Ray Davis will have to pay a premiuim to keep him here

The White Sox don't have as much firepower as the Yanks and their seasonal numbers are poor, but in the past 2 weeks they have been hitting the ball well and figure to eventually put up fairly solid numbers. He made them look bad.

ElKabong
05-28-2011, 12:59 AM
I hope he keeps it up, Valuist. He's sure surprised a lot of folks here. Question is, can he be effective in th eplayoffs when he goes up vs stout lineups. I have my fingers crossed.

budman
05-28-2011, 11:09 AM
The O might have to go to the pen after Felix's createring! Something is wrong with F. Notice how much weight he's gained?

I'll take the O over the F. ;)

ElKabong
05-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Bud, I don't know if Feliz is really into it mentally or not. All the fastballs he threw were pure cheese, but over the fat part of the plate (Gordon put one outta the park to tie it up in the 9th). I don't think he threw a breaking pitch or changed up speed until the 3rd batter he faced.--- that isn't the way he pitched to close games last season...and 2 of the outs in the 9th were hard hit, one almost went out.

Wash pulled Feliz out of 2 games last week, I think he and Maddux know they have a closer that has other things on his mind right now....i have no idea what it might be, but the kid shows no emotion out there and is outta shape like you mentioned.....He's the exact opposite of the other young guys on the mound for the team now

ElKabong
06-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Got a chance to see him pitch last night. I don't know if he's still under the radar but he won't be for long. He just went over the 100 inning mark in his brief career and the numbers are staggering:

win/loss: 9-1
innings: 101
ERA: 1.60
WHIP: 0.98
K-BB: 82-30
Batting average against: .192

Another position player convertee. Between him, Marmol and Sergio Santos, these are some of the three of the toughest guys to hit in MLB.

I guess you can officially call me a believer now....against a good team tonight Ogando tossed 8 innings / 100 pitches, gives up just one run on 3 hits. Went after hitters all night with a good mix of pitches. I'm having a hard time believeing what I see, but I see it and gotta give him (and Maddux) props. He shut down a lineup that represents the best record in baseball coming into this series.

Tommy Hunter = bullpen when he comes off the DL
O'Day= better be back into mid summer 2010 form when he comes off the DL, or he'll be released or optioned down
Bourbon= sent down to Round Rock today ....WOOHOO !

This team is taking shape. With Hamilton and Cruz back they're starting to produce runs for the pitching staff. Nice time to be an R's fan.

Valuist
06-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Tonight will be a real test for Ogando going up against the Yanks in NY. He has a total of 9 innings against them and has given up 3 home runs. SHould be an excellent matchup with him going up against Sabathia. I hope ESPN is showing this game.

Valuist
06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Ogando looks like Cy Young.....when he ISNT facing the Yankees. They hit him hard back in April and really torched him tonight: 1 2/3 IP, 6 earned runs. He works hard for 2 1/2 months to build up a great ERA and WHIP and in one outing, it takes a big hit.

ElKabong
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Have to admit I napped on the couch when the rain delay crept up, so i didn't see his beat down at the hands of the yanks....could be they have his # ??? Those have been his worse two starts

Valuist
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Have to admit I napped on the couch when the rain delay crept up, so i didn't see his beat down at the hands of the yanks....could be they have his # ??? Those have been his worse two starts

In all fairness, the Yanks are either # 1 or 2 in MLB in runs scored so they put a beat down on a lot of guys. But they certainly seem to see the ball well against him.