PDA

View Full Version : Calumet

Thomason
10-31-2003, 03:35 PM
There's an article today in the Daily Racing Form about Calumet Farms. I'm sure that everyone has heard of it and its storied history. For those of you who haven't been there, I promise you that it is a majestic place, just down the road from Keeneland. It needs to be preserved and kept away from the developers who would like to turn it into Calumet Condos. Anyone have a spare 50 million? Anyone know Mr. Farris? Maybe he would swap Mineshaft for it.

Suff
10-31-2003, 04:04 PM
That is to bad. These places like Calumet Farms are National Treasures...and story book in nature... A shame to lose them

Trijack Grew up in Kentucky. He just took a Trip home and one of the things he was going to do was visit Calumet and other Farms. I saw him on the board the last few days so I assume he's home safely.

Jack.. Tell us about your trip to kentucky please?

Any pic's? How about a Kentucky version of a SUFF saratoga story?

Trijack
10-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Suff

Arrived in Lexington on Sunday Oct 12.
Went to the Kentucky Horse Park on Monday. Got to see Cigar, and John Henry.
Also got to see I Two Step Too the main horse who portrayed Seabiscuit.. We saw both horse shows in the arena which featured different breds of horses one of which came from San Juan Capistrano where I live. There are alot of horse owners here. It was a great experience being there. Spent all day there. The weather was great on that day.

Tuesday was not a good weather day. Raining and wind blowing. Took my wife to the antique district in Georgetown hoping that the rain would quit so we could visit some horse farms. We only got to drive by Calumet .
Finally let up and we drove over toward Paris, Ky to see the horse farms. Spotted a group of horses and my wife yelled stop. My wife walked over to the fence and the horses came over to greet her. Got some great shots of the horses and one in particular. She was petting this one horse and I told her to turn around so I could take her picture. The horse settled his nose on her shoulder. That was her best day, she says Monte Roberts would call that join up. She was so thrilled with the picture , she had it enlarged and it sets next to her picture with Monte Roberts and her Breyer horses

We left there on Wednesday to go to Whitesburg, Ky where I was born & raised. We stopped at Naturall Bridge in Slade, Ky Just beautiful and we walked our legs off.

On Friday we drove over to Cumberland Gap in Middlesboro, Ky. Stopped at the airport and visited The Lost Squadron Museum featuring the P38 from WW2 that was rescued from 250 feet under neath the ice & restored. It flew for the first time in oct. 2002. Its called Glacier Girl. What a story.

After that we got to see Cumberland Gap & Cumberland Falls. How beautiful everything was..

Trijack
10-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Here is a picture of my wife and a horse in Paris, Ky

Thomason
10-31-2003, 09:25 PM
A lovely lady with an admirer.