PDA

View Full Version : Precision ... Statistical and Mathematical Methods in Horse Racing

cnollfan
05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Anyone read this book by C.X. Wong? Opinion?

Capper Al
05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
No. But this has to be a good one -- Precision in horse racing?

Overlay
05-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Here's the Amazon page, with two reader comments:

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Statistical-Mathematical-Methods-Racing/dp/1432768522)

WPL
05-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I just bought it and expect to receive it in a couple of days. After I read it, I will let you know what I think about it.

B

garyscpa
05-24-2011, 09:53 AM
I bought on Kindle last night. I'm about 40% done with it so far.

Here are a my initial impressions:

This is the first American printing of a book that was published in China in 2005. He has re-written some portions and added additional content for the American version.
He writes with a Chinese accent. Apparently the book was translated from Chinese and not proof-read by an American editor.

GameTheory
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I bought on Kindle last night. I'm about 40% done with it so far.

Here are a my initial impressions:

This is the first American printing of a book that was published in China in 2005. He has re-written some portions and added additional content for the American version.
He writes with a Chinese accent. Apparently the book was translated from Chinese and not proof-read by an American editor.
I was wondering about the Kindle version -- I figured this was a book with tables, graphs, and equations. Are those things formatted properly in an ebook? I have heard of problems with Kindle and data graphs, etc...

gm10
05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
I used to be pretty good at statistics and this man is using a lot of techniques that I have used or have wanted to use, so I am going to order it with my expectations very high.

mistergee
05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
" iT is only an introductory book for joining professional groups"
what does this mean? this is what he says that is shown on the Amazaon preview

garyscpa
05-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I was wondering about the Kindle version -- I figured this was a book with tables, graphs, and equations. Are those things formatted properly in an ebook? I have heard of problems with Kindle and data graphs, etc...

Yes, Kindle is not good for tables and graphs, in fact it's terrible. But I didn't want to wait for shipping, and I figured if the book was good enough, it would be worth paying for the hard copy too.

The author has a website where you can download all of the excel workbooks for free. Haven't tried that yet.

Dave Schwartz
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
The author has a website where you can download all of the excel workbooks for free. Haven't tried that yet.

Let us know how that works, Gary.

That would be a strong selling point for me.

Dave

GameTheory
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Yes, Kindle is not good for tables and graphs, in fact it's terrible. But I didn't want to wait for shipping, and I figured if the book was good enough, it would be worth paying for the hard copy too.So what's the bottom-line? Kindle version OK or ruined by messed up tables, etc?

The author has a website where you can download all of the excel workbooks for free. Haven't tried that yet.Yeah, I see parts of them are still in Chinese.

GameTheory
05-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Let us know how that works, Gary.

That would be a strong selling point for me.

DaveWebsite is here: http://maxabet.com/

Capper Al
05-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Okay, I'm in for better or worse. I'll be traveling in a couple of weeks and will need something to read.

Dave Schwartz
05-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks, GT.

WPL
05-24-2011, 11:45 PM
CX Wong also has a sparsely populated Chinese language blog at cxwong.mysinablog.com

The google translation reveals part of a thread about 'how to become a professional gambler...not too revealing except for the translation of this text which made me laugh out loud.

"For horse racing players, casual players are always discussions on how to buy a full meal in a large cold-Q, buy a horse before what was once a poor result in loss of camel jockeys opportunities."

GameTheory
05-25-2011, 12:07 AM
"For horse racing players, casual players are always discussions on how to buy a full meal in a large cold-Q, buy a horse before what was once a poor result in loss of camel jockeys opportunities."Thank you, CX Wong! I'm *always* telling people that, but only get blank stares...

cnollfan
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

gm10
05-28-2011, 04:46 PM
CX Wong also has a sparsely populated Chinese language blog at cxwong.mysinablog.com

The google translation reveals part of a thread about 'how to become a professional gambler...not too revealing except for the translation of this text which made me laugh out loud.

"For horse racing players, casual players are always discussions on how to buy a full meal in a large cold-Q, buy a horse before what was once a poor result in loss of camel jockeys opportunities."

The book is written in the same language ;). I have to read certain sentences more than once - perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Haven't gotten to the stats bits yet.

WPL
05-29-2011, 01:58 PM
I am finding that this is a good book. I'm not a 'real' stats guy, and this treatment of the subject specific to horse racing is exactly what I have been looking for since I only recently started to learn R.

dylbert
05-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Kindle newbie here. Precision was one of three books I purchased/downloaded this morning. Everything I could read about this book suggested that it would be an interesting read. So far, it has delivered through first two chapters.

Yes, it is Hong Kong-influenced English with British spellings. Author states that this is rewrite of Chinese book, not a literal translation. Wong offers that he has adapted book for non-HK racing audiences and purposes. Most readers should have little trouble navigating through language issues.

Going to beach tomorrow and this is one of my reading pleasures over next three days. I will try to report back later. However, my partaking of beach libations may distort my language, too!

gm10
05-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, I've finished it.

Almost everything in this book has been covered somewhere else before, but at least it brings it together in one place. Some of the code, such as for the parameter estimation of the MLR model, is useful. That's not an easy thing to code by yourself.

All in all, it's not a bad start for horse players interested in using statistical methods.

Sinner369
05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Kindle newbie here. Precision was one of three books I purchased/downloaded this morning. Everything I could read about this book suggested that it would be an interesting read. So far, it has delivered through first two chapters.

Yes, it is Hong Kong-influenced English with British spellings. Author states that this is rewrite of Chinese book, not a literal translation. Wong offers that he has adapted book for non-HK racing audiences and purposes. Most readers should have little trouble navigating through language issues.

Going to beach tomorrow and this is one of my reading pleasures over next three days. I will try to report back later. However, my partaking of beach libations may distort my language, too!

What is the website where you can purchase and download this book?

Thanks in advance........

GameTheory
05-31-2011, 01:08 AM
What is the website where you can purchase and download this book?

Thanks in advance........
Amazon

kid4rilla
06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
anybody go through the sample mlr in chapter 5 using [R]?

It aint workin....

Are there any [R] users that wouldn't mind me bending their ear to bang through it.

WPL
06-05-2011, 02:54 AM
learning about statistics using R is one thing.
learning about using R for predicting horse races is something else.
my impression about chapter 5 is that it is rather straightforward applying
R for horse racing. what goes into the model, though?
I've got an advantage on this, in that I work all day every day with
'wall street quants', so I'm somewhat familiar the nomenclature - even though,
as I say, I'm not a 'real' stats guy.
The advantage is, I can use the R packages, and know how I should do it. The most important element in this book to me is chapter 4. Master chapter 4 before moving onto chapter 5.
what will go into the model? your discoveries from what you learned from chapter 4 will give you a clue.
you don't really need R for chapter 4. Excel or open office calc will do.
not as sexy as 'R' or any other stat pack - but more approachable.
B

Sinner369
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
To all you Guys that Downloaded the Book from Amazon.......Can you read the file with Windows Media Player or VLC and but the Kindle like Amazon was (is) promoting.....?

Thanks in a advance, Sinner

GameTheory
06-05-2011, 12:12 PM
To all you Guys that Downloaded the Book from Amazon.......Can you read the file with Windows Media Player or VLC and but the Kindle like Amazon was (is) promoting.....?
That sentence is incomprehensible, but if it is a Kindle book then you read it either with a Kindle device or Kindle software. You can download Kindle software for your mobile device or PC for free from Amazon.

Sinner369
06-05-2011, 02:09 PM
GameTheory........Sorry man, my bad................!

But can you still read that with WMP or VLC or just with Kindle?

GameTheory
06-05-2011, 02:34 PM
GameTheory........Sorry man, my bad................!

But can you still read that with WMP or VLC or just with Kindle?I believe Kindle stuff is Kindle only because it is DRM'd (protected). There are ways to get non-Kindle documents into Kindle, and maybe some of the free books are transferable somehow, but any Kindle book you have to pay for is locked into Kindle. (Of course, it has been hacked, but that's another story.)