PDA

View Full Version : Gambler's Book Club

Jay Trotter
05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Just back from Vegas and am able to cross one off my bucket list.....I got to visit the Gambler's Book Club, the mecca of gambling/horse racing literature.

There were four complete sections dedicated to racing with a sprinkling of other thouroughbred racing related books spread out throughout the store. Couldn't find a copy of "Good Vibes" though! :(

I bought three books:
* 150 Professional Horseracing Systems
* The Art and Science of Picking Winning Horses
* Zen and the Successful Horseplayer

Considering I am lucky on a good day to find even one or two racing related books around my parts this was indeed the "Toys R Us" experience for degenerate gambler like myself. A must see for anyone making the trip to Vegas.

Not being overly familiar with Las Vegas I took the $25.00 cab ride from Ceasar's Palace but quickly realized a three block walk back to Tropicana would allow for a $2.00 bus ride back to the MGM Grand from the Gambler's Book Club.

Good stuff! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Capper Al
05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
GBC is on my bucket list also.

Sinner369
05-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Did the same trip a few years ago, paid the cab fair and after a few days in Vegas realized that a bus trip to the GBC was way cheaper ($1.00 at that time).

You can catch a bus from any of the Hotels near the main strip...........but I enjoyed it anyways..............

Investorater
05-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I was in Sin City last Memorial Day but didn't make it to GBC though. My stay was at the Planet Hollywood a smallish race book.

I guess I was too busy watching the pole dancing girls at the Pleasure Pit tables :) Anyway, I did make a bet on Quality Road to win the Met Mile which he did at very low odds. I needed a winner at the time ,,,,, I wanna go back .. :ThmbUp:

Johnny V
05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I just returned from LV as well and I always make it a point to visit the GBC whenever there. I particularly enjoy talking to Howard when he is in the store. There are two other used book stores in LV that I have visited that have some good horse racing titles in their stock and may be worth visiting. They are Greyhound Books and Unicorn Books. They are located on Sahara and Decatur just about across the street from each other.

Steven Kolb
05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Thought Howard went into retirement (stud?) and didn't have much to do with the store anymore (I may be wrong). Anyway, Mary and/or Robert are very knowledgeable and customer oriented. Say "HI" for me. sk

dylbert
05-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Made trip a few years back to former 11th St. location. Took bus over from Strip -- couple of bucks including one transfer. Bought some books that I had not seen elsewhere. Then, I decided that I got enough culture on ride over and took cab back.

Highlight of visit was talking with Howard and his staff. On next LV trip, I will have to check out the new location.

Tom
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Dylbert, sometimes people take the bus and get off at the wrong stop and find themselves in the middle of nowhere with no bus in sight and no shade except one of the bus stops, but someone did something nasty in it so you cant go in, and 117 degree sun beating down on you and BillW drank all the water...and you would have paid anything for a cab ride.

But the store was worth it! :D

RaceBookJoe
05-30-2011, 12:34 PM
I just might have to make another trip there. I stopped by the new store last year i was highly disappointed...small racing section and no used book back room, i really liked the old store. There was a thread last year about this, so its interesting to see some positive stuff written about the GBC. rbj ps; i will try to stop in in the next week or 2 and give an update.

thelyingthief
06-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Not being overly familiar with Las Vegas I took the $25.00 cab ride from Ceasar's Palace but quickly realized a three block walk back to Tropicana would allow for a $2.00 bus ride back to the MGM Grand from the Gambler's Book Club.

You could walk it, and get a sun tan at the same time.

tlt-