PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Turf Writers

ilhcp
10-31-2003, 02:15 PM
Just curious if anyone has any local newspaper columnist(S) - Turf Writers that aren't necessarily mainstream that are an interesting read.

As we all know finding insightful articles on horseracing is rare.

We all know our favorites such as Beyer at washingtonpost.com, Davidowitz at axcis.com.

One that isn't necessarily unknown but not as recognized as some of others is Richard Eng at reviewjournal.com every Friday.

Any others that you can recommend that are "INSIGHTFUL" are appreciated for all? Links appreciated.

Thanks

SilverSow
10-31-2003, 08:47 PM
There's a guy named Matt Graves who writes for the Albany, NY Times-Union... not sure how "insightful" he is, but he's a really nice guy... this past summer I gave my son Bubbles a project, since he wants to get into sports journalism & loves the track... I had him e-mail as many racing writers as we could find and see if he could get up into the press box at Saratoga.

The only person who responded was Matt Graves... a really super nice guy... gave Bubbles the grand tour of the press box area, and as I'm standing by the rail, looking up at the roof of the press box, who do I see out on the roof but good old Bubbles along with Matt Graves... with a thunderstorm coming in several miles behind 'em... dark clouds & everything... and me without my camera, woulda been a great shot... I wish the guy had kept Bubbles up there longer - the only ticket I cashed all day was while Bubbles was away... LOLOLOL...

Anyway, this guy gets my vote...

Dave

:eek:

Dave Schwartz
10-31-2003, 09:19 PM
SilverSow,

Are you the Dad of the now-famous Bubbles of Saratoga Party fame?

And was the lightning rod the very same Bubbles of said party?

Dave

stgeorge
10-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Check out www.equidaily.com on a daily basis and you'll regularly find articles by local racing writers from around the country.

SilverSow
10-31-2003, 10:29 PM
Dave Schwartz,

Yes, I plead guilty to being Bubbles' dad - your "We're not running a day care" line the day I met you at the Spa was a classic...

Dave

Valuist
10-31-2003, 11:10 PM
Jim O'Donnell of the Chicago Sun Times. The fans like him and the horseman and track management hate him because he always asks the tough questions.

kingfin66
10-31-2003, 11:55 PM
In Seattle, Larry Lee Palmer writes for the Seattle Post Intelligencer (P.I). His handicapping is based on Beyers and angles. His betting technique is solid. The quality of his journalism is fantastic. He gets one column a week during Emerald Downs' season. Unfortunately, we didn't get to hear from him at all during BC.