PDA

View Full Version : Paddy O Prado retired

point given
05-23-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/paddy-oprado-retired-sesamoid-injury

OTM Al
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
A shame. They really did think it was just a foot bruise and were giving him treatment for that after the race.

Jasonm921
05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
It seems that these horses run less and less and get injured more frequently. Like the modern day pitcher is it that these horses aren't pushed hard enough in training that when they are asked to exert themselves they pull or pop something?

JustRalph
05-23-2011, 11:21 PM
The one thing I love about this game is watching the offspring of some of your favorite horses hit the track 4-5 years later. I look forward to his turf runners. He could have an impact in that area. Then again I know shit about Breeding, but it's fun to watch.

Btw, Was that Roman's leading him off the van? If so, I know now why Dale is complaining about sweating his ass off when he compares himself to Pletcher and Lukas. He has put on some serious weight.

classhandicapper
05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
It's a shame. He had the look of a horse that was going to continue improving.

toetoe
05-24-2011, 03:35 AM
It's a shame. He had the look of a horse ...

Dale, you mean ? ;)

point given
05-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Dale, you mean ? ;)

More chins than a chinese phonebook

Robert Goren
05-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Another broken down horse going off to stud to pass along his bad genes. The circle is unbroken yet again.

JustRalph
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Another broken down horse going off to stud to pass along his bad genes. The circle is unbroken yet again.

glass half empty huh?

Robert Fischer
05-24-2011, 04:56 PM
good horse and he could have been a factor in the 4yo division.

solid resume ,and his Classic was better than the PPs will show.

versatile stallion, hope they get lucky and pick the right mares.

the little guy
05-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Wow.

If a guy gets hit by a bus, do you think his children are bred to get hit by buses?

Robert Goren
05-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Wow.

If a guy gets hit by a bus, do you think his children are bred to get hit by buses?No, But he didn't hit by a bus or anything else for that matter. He broke a bone doing what he was breed to do. Unless the reason he broke it had something to do with something wrong with the track, I have got to wonder about a genetic weakness.

the little guy
05-24-2011, 05:51 PM
No, But he didn't hit by a bus or anything else for that matter. He broke a bone doing what he was breed to do. Unless the reason he broke it had something to do with something wrong with the track, I have got to wonder about a genetic weakness.

It's a black and white world for you, where the most minimal amount of information possible is all you find necessary to lash out.

Robert Goren
05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
You are right I don't have all the facts here. What I do know is thoroughbreds are a lot more brittle than they were in 1960s. From I have read, breeding is blamed at least in part for that.

If you know something about the injury that I haven't read perhaps you could enlighten me. I understand why the owners are putting him out to stud, I just wonder if it is the best thing for the long term health of the sport.
On side note, I bet NYRA quite often and I just want to say I enjoy your insight a lot.

the little guy
05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
You are right I don't have all the facts here. What I do know is thoroughbreds are a lot more brittle than they were in 1960s. From I have read, breeding is blamed at least in part for that.

If you know something about the injury that I haven't read perhaps you could enlighten me. I understand why the owners are putting him out to stud, I just wonder if it is the best thing for the long term health of the sport.
On side note, I bet NYRA quite often and I just want to say I enjoy your insight a lot.

It's just that Paddy O'Prado seemed pretty sturdy to me. He ran plenty of times in 2010, for almost the entire year, without incident. And, this kind of injury doesn't seem like some sort of inherited fragility. I'm not saying you are always wrong with this kind of thinking but each case should be looked at separately before making conclusions. Patty O'Prado breaking a sesamoid on a course that had taken a lot of rain, and been used frequently over a two day period, doesn't seem like an inherent problem with the breed to me. I'm not saying the course was the reason, as there are always risks in racing, but each case is not necessarily the same.

Thanks.

BIG49010
05-24-2011, 07:43 PM
He lugged in quite a bit and cut off a bunch of horses, perhaps this is when he got hurt. I was somewhat surprised neither of the jockeys claimmed foul.

JustRalph
05-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I have got to wonder about a genetic weakness.

yep, I was thinking the same thing when I was reading your post