PDA

View Full Version : Emotion in handicapping

jasperson
05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
If you have a horse, jockey or trainer that you emotionally would like to see win do you think that influence your handicapping? I my case I think it does and that is why I rarely bet the major races like the derby and preakness. I stick with mid level claimers and stay away from stakes and high level allowances. I tend to make excuses for my horse's short comings in the derby preps.

Fingal
05-22-2011, 11:37 AM
It shouldn't, not if one expects to be a successful selector & bettor. But if it does influence you, then you know yourself & that's one of the greatest things one can learn at the track.

To paraphrase Sun Tzu-

Know yourself, know your enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories

therussmeister
05-22-2011, 12:39 PM
This is why I think I have a big advantage because I am not a fan of horse racing. There is almost never any emotion involved.

Overlay
05-22-2011, 01:45 PM
For me, using objective criteria such as statistics helps minimize any subjective or emotional component.

thaskalos
05-22-2011, 02:50 PM
The horseplayer's main emotional attachment at the track, should be to his bankroll.

cj
05-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Being emotionally attached to horses in the beginning is a good thing. It can really speed up the learning curve if you follow all the details about a horse and its races. When it comes to betting, you need to check that at the door though.

Storm Cadet
05-22-2011, 05:11 PM
As a former horse owner, I remember my first race as an owner when all the other partners we putting serious cash down on our colt in his maiden race. They all cashed out big time that day with his win! I was very cautious not laying out big bucks and only watched as they all left with fat bank rolls!

Next out my colt was entered in the Hopeful Stakes and again all the owners were laying out big bucks...so what did I do? Let my emotions over ride what I saw in the Form...and lost my ass...that was the LAST TIME I let my personal feelings get into my handicapping! :bang: For the next few years I watched as my co-owners felt an obligation, listened to biased trainer/ management reports of our chances and continued to burn cash at the windows.

I became just happy to get my rewards from purse money and bet who my CJ figs pointed me too...sometimes it was on my horses...sometimes it wasn't! And I didn't care if I missed out when my horse did win as I never again place big $$$ on any to win! Any I never bet with my heart for any other partnership horses either just because they ran under our silks!

captainhot
05-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I think having a favorite horse, trainer, jockey, etc. is a good thing. I greatly admire Graham Motion, and had Animal Kingdom as one of my four horses to pick from early during Derby week. The combination of odds and rooting for Motion swung me to AK, and gave me a big score. As I told my friends yesterday, I was present for AK's wedding at the Derby, and I didn't want to be at his funeral in the Preakness. I still played AK, but very lightly.

jasperson
05-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I think having a favorite horse, trainer, jockey, etc. is a good thing. I greatly admire Graham Motion, and had Animal Kingdom as one of my four horses to pick from early during Derby week. The combination of odds and rooting for Motion swung me to AK, and gave me a big score. As I told my friends yesterday, I was present for AK's wedding at the Derby, and I didn't want to be at his funeral in the Preakness. I still played AK, but very lightly.
Most of the time I do have a favorite horse in the derby,but not this year but even when I do and they win without me having a bet on them I still enjoy the experience. I can enjoy a race without having a bet down and still feel good if I like the winning horse.