PDA

View Full Version : htrf

PMDIC
05-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Can't run HTRF on windows 7. Is there a way to do it? Thanks,Phil

GameTheory
05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Can't run HTRF on windows 7. Is there a way to do it? Thanks,PhilThat one is still being sold, isn't it? Did you talk to the developers? (The guy with the netcapper problem was able to get some updated files to make that go.)

In general, if an older program won't run (try compatibility mode first), you need a virtual machine and can run it in XP virtually -- VirtualBox or MS Virtual PC (comes free with Win 7 Pro) or VMWare. (Or DOSBox for DOS only programs.)

This is becoming a real trend -- getting these questions every week. Any horseplayer with an older program wanting to upgrade to Win7 should get the Pro version and save yourself the headaches. Otherwise, if you have an XP install disc (with registration code) lying around that isn't in use, you can install that on VirtualBox and you're all set. (Or you can pay MS for an upgrade to Pro version of Win7.)

harntrox
05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
This is the best tutorial I have found so far on how to run XP in Windows7 / Vista.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/

cklv
05-24-2011, 04:15 PM
I have Windows 7 Pro and can't utilze any of my old proggrams that ran on XP. This may be a way to do it. Once XP is set up as described, how easy is it to load your old software disks. It would appear to me that Windows 7 would return a message that not compatible, etc. Would XP or Windows 7 read the disks. Any forseeable problems.

Great tutorial.

Thx,

Charles

GameTheory
05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
I have Windows 7 Pro and can't utilze any of my old proggrams that ran on XP. This may be a way to do it. Once XP is set up as described, how easy is it to load your old software disks. It would appear to me that Windows 7 would return a message that not compatible, etc. Would XP or Windows 7 read the disks. Any forseeable problems.

Great tutorial.

Thx,

CharlesIf you used to run them on XP, then you can run them on virtual XP. Should be no problem.

cklv
05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
The XP disk I have is probably 5+ years old and doesn't have SP3 updates. Would that matter with this process. There were so many updates with XP. I'm not sure if xp would require Microsoft updates to run under this method. Does anyone have any idea?

Charles

cklv
06-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I was able to install windows xp mode onto my Windows 7 Pro. I tried running a program several times and it stops running with the error message "General Protection Fault in module WIN 87EM.dll". Is there any way to fix this.

Thanks for your help.

GameTheory
06-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I was able to install windows xp mode onto my Windows 7 Pro. I tried running a program several times and it stops running with the error message "General Protection Fault in module WIN 87EM.dll". Is there any way to fix this.

Thanks for your help.Some particular program is having trouble or XP Mode itself is having trouble?

PMDIC
06-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I downloaded vmware player 3 & installed windows xp & that did the trick. Thanks again,Phil

Dave Schwartz
06-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Speaking of HTRF, we are doing a par update today. If you purchased HTRF pars from us this year, please send me an email - just want to make sure I don't miss any HTRF guys.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz