PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness run amok

andicap
10-31-2003, 11:43 AM
http://www.theunion.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73151930394898&Avis=TU&Dato=20031029&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=110290045&Ref=AR
(If link doesn't work, I'll reprint entire article).

Why I don't like extreme forms of political correctness. PC can be good: It's PC not to call Jewish people "cheap."

(But I don't mind Jewish jokes if made in fun. What does a Jewish woman make for dinner? Reservations.
Know a good Jewish wine?
But I don't waaant to go to the Catskills.......) But I digress

This is PC as parody, as if someone who was anti-PC would stage this to show how silly political correctness is. Except it's real!

These are the same people who would scream "censorship!" if the paper refused to print their views. This is truly a First Amendment issue and I hope the college does not back down.
Lefty, you're in Nevada -- you must agree with me on this one.

A problem would occur IF the newspaper refused to print a column by the other side, defending the women or having a woman write a piece about all the men are geekly, ugly wimps or neanderthal morons whose arms touch the ground while they stroll around campus.

This is not libelous -- you are not hurting an individual or ruining anyone's life. Its not really sexist -- he's not saying women are inferior to men, that people should not hire women, or that it's OK to hit an ugly woman.
Why should the paper apologize and what the hell does it have to do with putting up badly needed new facilities?

This is the type of ridiculous issue that gives true feminism (general respect, equal pay for equal work, eliminate the glass ceiling, tougher laws against beating spouses, etc.) a bad name and trivalizes other important matters.

Lefty
10-31-2003, 12:16 PM
andicap, I a agree with you. There are groups of mindnumb people out there just waiting to jump on anything that might offend them, except if it's said by the left.
Clinton, onetime, said on a BET (black entertainment television)interview that black people watch just as much tv as "regular people" but no one got offended. Mind boggling to me.
I remember, yrs ago, Rush had a parody segment where he was advocating all ugly people be off the street by dark. He got loads of calls protesting from people who took him seriously. Which he knew would happen and they just played right into his hands.

Dave Schwartz
10-31-2003, 01:03 PM
Just for the record, Nevada County is in California as are all the other campuses they mentioned.

What I find amazing is that they are complaining about an article that has yet to be distributed.

Dave Schwartz

BillW
10-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Possibly the most ironic thing is that they are protesting this after the opinion piece accuses them of being superficial. :D

"If the shoe fits" comes to mind.

Bill

Tom
11-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Here's my take on this:

FACULTY mebers are lobbying to deny their EMPLOYER funds to upgrade the facility?????

This is a no-brainer.

Fire them.
They do not deserve to be employed there.
This kind of teacher cannot really offer any kind of quality education to begin with, but to jepordize your place of employment is unacceptabel behavior. Those are actions they must be held accountable for.