PDA

View Full Version : NBC Coverage

Tom
05-21-2011, 05:41 PM
What is Costas's problem - all he has done all day is try to dig up dirt about crap not related to the horses. He has added 0 top the program.
Bring back the Vs team - at least they know the front end of a horse from Costas. Dipstick!

The only time they could have asked a relevant questions was Zito and they passed on bringing anything to the table. Big thumbs down - c clean house and hire a real racing team.

redshift1
05-21-2011, 05:49 PM
What is Costas's problem - all he has done all day is try to dig up dirt about crap not related to the horses. He has added 0 top the program.
Bring back the Vs team - at least they know the front end of a horse from Costas. Dipstick!

The only time they could have asked a relevant questions was Zito and they passed on bringing anything to the table. Big thumbs down - c clean house and hire a real racing team.

Mr. B. and Todd S. in waiting

Greyfox
05-21-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't care for their camera work either. It is hard to tell exactly where the horses are on the track when you are looking from a blimp or part way around a turn from an elevated camera. :ThmbDown:

Turfway
05-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Anyone else catch Bob Costas refer to Chistopher Grove as Mike Grove towards the end of the simulcast. Good job NBC

duncan04
05-21-2011, 07:16 PM
At least there is no Hammerin Hank!!

cj
05-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Race replay on NBC:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/43122835#43122835

BlueShoe
05-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Am I the only one that grew annoyed and tired of hearing the NBC team refer to colts that had not raced in the Derby as "New Shooters" over and over again? Must have heard this term used at least a dozen times during the broadcast, by several different broadcasters. Surely a better designation could have been found, or better still, none at all. Could have just mentioned that this or that colt did not race in the Derby, state the details of their last race, and let it go at that.

stuball
05-21-2011, 08:16 PM
they don't have somebody on that can show some pp's and explain fast pace
-- slow pace- early or pressers or closers...show something relevant...
like a real handicapper to lightly go over his picks...I nominate PA as he had the exacta cold....who ever expected shackleford to go off at those odds..but a great pick by Mike....

Stuball

Shemp Howard
05-21-2011, 08:22 PM
It was worse than bad. And poor Hank Goldberg. watching these guys go through the motions for, mercifully, the last time.

Comcast will wake up and clear the deck come next year, you can be assured. All of these bums were Dick Ebersole butt kissers.

Southieboy
05-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Who was they guy that they mentioned that croaked at the end of the broadcast?

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Who was they guy that they mentioned that croaked at the end of the broadcast?Not croaked. Resigned. Dick Ebersol.

Bruddah
05-21-2011, 09:15 PM
At least there is no Hammerin Hank!!

Amen Bruddah! Hammerin Hank and his piggy bank for making bets. It was always empty and broken, after Hammerin Hank got through pounding his bets at the window. I don't know where ESPN got him but they should send him back C.O.D..

Fastracehorse
05-22-2011, 04:19 AM

....the questions Bob was asking the winning owner after the race made me wince..... the owner looked like he was thinking wtf

fffastt

Fastracehorse
05-22-2011, 04:26 AM
they don't have somebody on that can show some pp's and explain fast pace
-- slow pace- early or pressers or closers...show something relevant...
like a real handicapper to lightly go over his picks...I nominate PA as he had the exacta cold....who ever expected shackleford to go off at those odds..but a great pick by Mike....

Stuball

.....the NBC analysts, including Gary Stevens (Gary said he won't relax and the pace will be too hot ), didn't like Shackleford's looks just before he entered the gate; actually, they were quite negative about his behavior; but it was Castanon and Romans afterwards that said he washes out b4 every race

cool

fffastt

lamboguy
05-22-2011, 07:38 AM
why doesn't anyone see the positive things once in awhile. didn't DONNA BARTON BROTHERS do a superb job making you aware of the way the horses were acting, and her after the race interview's on horseback?

Mineshaft
05-22-2011, 10:12 AM
why doesn't anyone see the positive things once in awhile. didn't DONNA BARTON BROTHERS do a superb job making you aware of the way the horses were acting, and her after the race interview's on horseback?

yep she did she was good

David-LV
05-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Agreed, one of Donna Barton Brothers strong points is when she interviews she lets the person she is interviewing finish their thoughts and statements, she is a very knowledgeable and top notch personality that does her job at a very high level.

Lasix67
05-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I for one am just happy that horse racing is getting the exposure from both Vs. and NBC, both in hi-def. The sport needs as much air time and both of these networks have been a plus, along with TVG and HRTV. The Saratoga meet this Summer been carried in hi-def. is fantastic, and no matter what your opinion of the talking heads, the sport can only benefit from it. My wife teaches figure skating and I can tell you that the sport has taking a nose dive since losing it's TV contracts and regulating it to icenetworks.com except for Nationals and the Olympics. The more TV the better in this day and age of multi sports being covered by networks. I for one am thankful that the sport I love is getting the exposure it deserves to hopefully bring a new audience into the most beautiful game going....

Jasonm921
05-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I for one am just happy that horse racing is getting the exposure from both Vs. and NBC, both in hi-def. The sport needs as much air time and both of these networks have been a plus, along with TVG and HRTV. The Saratoga meet this Summer been carried in hi-def. is fantastic, and no matter what your opinion of the talking heads, the sport can only benefit from it. My wife teaches figure skating and I can tell you that the sport has taking a nose dive since losing it's TV contracts and regulating it to icenetworks.com except for Nationals and the Olympics. The more TV the better in this day and age of multi sports being covered by networks. I for one am thankful that the sport I love is getting the exposure it deserves to hopefully bring a new audience into the most beautiful game going....

Amen

cj
05-23-2011, 08:43 AM
.....the NBC analysts, including Gary Stevens (Gary said he won't relax and the pace will be too hot ), didn't like Shackleford's looks just before he entered the gate; actually, they were quite negative about his behavior; but it was Castanon and Romans afterwards that said he washes out b4 every race

cool

fffastt

They should have known this. Apparently, they didn't do the homework.

Plain Steve
05-23-2011, 11:52 AM

cool

fffastt

Stevens is really turning out to be a disaster behing the mike.

point given
05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Didn't you think that the Versus coverage was good though ? I found the combo of Pincay Jr and Moss to be oK to watch and not mute. Seems thatwhen the Network takes oover things quickly turn to mush. I found this in network baseball too watching the 2 NY teams play the other night. Over and over they talked trash instead of commenting and covering the game taking place

rwwupl
05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Didn't you think that the Versus coverage was good though ? I found the combo of Pincay Jr and Moss to be oK to watch and not mute. Seems thatwhen the Network takes oover things quickly turn to mush. I found this in network baseball too watching the 2 NY teams play the other night. Over and over they talked trash instead of commenting and covering the game taking place

(IMO)Versus coverage was good and I understand they will be doing Saratoga on Saturday's with the feature switching to NBC according to my source, "Fast Eddie".

I think they would have a bigger winner if they could get Del Mar to participate in the summer program too. With the time difference, there should be some way to show both summer time vacation tracks with the feature on NBC. I think Del Mar would love it too.

rw

JustRalph
05-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I had not seen Pincay since getting rid of HRTV a few years back. I think he has improved by leaps and bounds. I noticed it right away.

It's one business where improvements take a while, but if you got it, you got it. I noticed the same thing with Steve Byk when I went back to listening to him this Triple Crown season. He was always "ok" but that show has come a long way too. It was much better this year. Not just technically. Byk's delivery has improved quite a bit.

But then again.......what the hell do I know. I'm just a listener