PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have to pay car excise tax? Just Massachusetts?

Zippy Chippy
05-21-2011, 01:26 PM
My friend that is from Oregon was talking to me last night over a beer and said, "I can't believe you have to pay just for having a car here" I figured it was all 50 states. The more i google it, every site specifically mentions Massachusetts.

Could be another reason to get out of here. The reasons are mounting.

I get a bill every January for about $150.

Under MGL Chapter 60A, all Massachusetts residents who own and register a motor vehicle must annually pay a motor vehicle excise. Also, under MGL Chapter 59, Section 2, it is important to note that every motor vehicle, whether registered or not, is subject to taxation, either as excise or personal property, for the privilege of road use-whether actual or future. The excise is levied by the city or town where the vehicle is principally garaged and the revenues become part of the local community treasury.

GameTheory
05-21-2011, 02:01 PM
My friend that is from Oregon was talking to me last night over a beer and said, "I can't believe you have to pay just for having a car here" I figured it was all 50 states. The more i google it, every site specifically mentions Massachusetts.

Could be another reason to get out of here. The reasons are mounting.

I get a bill every January for about $150.

Under MGL Chapter 60A, all Massachusetts residents who own and register a motor vehicle must annually pay a motor vehicle excise. Also, under MGL Chapter 59, Section 2, it is important to note that every motor vehicle, whether registered or not, is subject to taxation, either as excise or personal property, for the privilege of road use-whether actual or future. The excise is levied by the city or town where the vehicle is principally garaged and the revenues become part of the local community treasury.In Colorado we pay a vehicle tax with the registration based on the value of the vehicle, so my 2005 car started at approx $220 tax and goes does somewhat every year. Don't know what you pay if you have old clunker. The tax is a deduction on my federal return.

Pell Mell
05-21-2011, 02:48 PM
In TN I pay $24. a year for plates and that's it. No inspections either. :ThmbUp:

Spiderman
05-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Virginia exacts a tax every year. Maryland does not and you will see used cars advertised highlighting that they passed MD inspection. NJ, registration fee.

Robert Goren
05-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Because I live inside the the city limits of Lincoln I pay an extra $49 a year in what they call a wheel tax over and above registration fees. It is suppose to go only for street building and repair. But I know of at least one instance when it used in part to pay for the building a parking garage.

JustRalph
05-21-2011, 03:30 PM
N.C. does it.

based on Value of vehicle. My 2006 Tahoe costs 157 bucks last year. Plus 25 bucks for tags

Tom
05-21-2011, 04:11 PM
There are no depths the thieving bastards will sink to.

We should a tax on lies and greed - the pols would pay off the national debt in a year.

GD all elected official everywhere - a pox on all.

redshift1
05-21-2011, 05:36 PM
California...$450.00 tags 2009 Infiniti.... $250.00 tags 2011 Honda Insight