PDA

View Full Version : Don't you miss PEB on DRF cover today?

strapper
05-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I miss PEB's cartoons on the Triple Crown days! Today's edition of DRF gives us the Derby winner and his team in close-up montage on the special section and Animal Kingdom galloping on the main cover. Just not as interesting to me. What do you guys and gals think? Do you miss Pierre Bellocq's clever cartoons?

eastie
05-21-2011, 11:37 AM
definitely....always coool fresh idears (boston accent) in a class by himself :)

Rapid Grey
05-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I've tried to save every PEB DRF cover that he does but wasn't able to get a Saturday form. I've got them going back about 10 years. Wonder if DRF has any leftover?

Zman179
05-23-2011, 02:20 PM
DRF made a big mistake letting Peb go. There's a galloping horse on just about every cover, so how did this particular cover differ from all the others?

OTM Al
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Honestly no. He's not a nice guy. I don't find his cartoons funny, I find them borderline racist, which is pretty much the intent, and any cartoon where you have to write the name of the individual and point an arrow at the figure is not really very well drawn. His Curlin drawing was so bad it is the only thing I've ever seen at Saratoga that people wouldn't take.

Zman179
05-23-2011, 08:38 PM
and any cartoon where you have to write the name of the individual and point an arrow at the figure is not really very well drawn.

You just about offended every political cartoonist with one fell swoop.

toetoe
05-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Thanks for bringing this up, Strapper. I meant to mention it on Derby Day. The photo composite thing is not making it. I thought about PEB right away.

Fingal
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
One of the things I miss at this time of year. I haven't used a form in over a decade, but I'd pick up the Triple Crown & other big days ones partially for his drawings.

Of all his works, this is the one I first think of.

http://www.aikenracinghalloffame.com/ANTLEY-Tribute2_PEB-12-00.jpg

ArlJim78
05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I thought the Peb covers were dumb and don't miss them and never understood the appeal.

OTM Al
05-24-2011, 12:23 PM
You just about offended every political cartoonist with one fell swoop.

Aren't funny and can't draw. Can't see why they would be offended about that....

keithw84
05-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Did a google image search of "Pierre Bellocq" to find some of his drawings and got a lot of results that were not work-appropriate!

I found the one of Smarty Jones as Rocky (thought it was a clever take on the Philadelphia thing). Any other links to some of his drawings?

BlueShoe
05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Lots of things I miss from yesteryear in the Form during the Triple Crown. Miss the columns of Joe Hirsch and Charles Hatton as well as the bloodline analysis of Leon Rasmussen.

offtrack
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I miss the Barney Nagler column "On Second Thought". Perspectives on the ring and the track.

cnollfan
05-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I miss Audax Minor covering horse racing for the New Yorker. As a boy in the 1960s who loved horse racing and lived in Denver, which had little coverage of nationwide racing aside from the Triple Crown, I devoured anything I could find. There were always copies of the New Yorker in the library.

NJ Stinks
05-27-2011, 05:52 PM
One of the things I miss at this time of year. I haven't used a form in over a decade, but I'd pick up the Triple Crown & other big days ones partially for his drawings.

Of all his works, this is the one I first think of.

http://www.aikenracinghalloffame.com/ANTLEY-Tribute2_PEB-12-00.jpg

Agreed. That one hit hard.

Jasonm921
05-27-2011, 10:31 PM
That's a great sketch. I like editorial cartoonists. I enjoyed the Peb drawings as well as Bill Gallo's stuff in the Daily News.