PDA

View Full Version : Simulcasting in Lincoln, Nebraska

keithw84
05-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I know this only affects a few people on this board, but thought I would post:

http://journalstar.com/news/unicameral/article_cefaca86-f1a9-5ed0-baeb-d87d89aff673.html

The state legislature passed a bill that would allow simulcasting to continue in Lincoln even if there is not live racing. The track here is expected to end live racing after next year since it sits on the old state fairgrounds, which was sold to the University of Nebraska. The bill now goes to the governor.

Track Collector
05-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I guess the question that remains is will there still be any urgency to get a new track in Lincoln. Some may say no if this bill is eventually passed.

I wonder if they could try to do something like they do up at Horsemen's Park in Omaha, except they would need many more barns to hold a 25-30 day meet. Big things can be accomplished with the efforts of volunteer labor.

I always thought that 1 live race requirement to conduct simulcasting was kind of silly. At least make it something meaningful like 20-25 races.

I've enjoyed attending races in Nebraska (Lincoln, Fonner, Atokad, and Columbus), so I hope they can find a way to keep it going.

Robert Goren
05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
As of right now no one has come up the money to build a new track here in Lincoln. Like the Omaha track, Lincoln racing is run by the horsemen's group. I do wonder where the profits from the simulcasting will go. Will they go to Omaha purses or meted out to all Nebraska tracks or will they be set aside for the building of new track here?
Actually I surprised that were able to get anything passed. The anti gambling crowd is very strong in this state. There will be court tests of this law if the governor signs it.

Robert Goren
05-27-2011, 10:48 PM
The governor vetoed it and the legislature failed to override. That is not to shocking to me. The anti gambling crowd is very strong here. They can be beaten, but not by a dying sport.
http://journalstar.com/sports/article_64f6172c-40e0-5806-b1a7-b56df25729ff.html