PDA

View Full Version : Blogging the Preakness

OTM Al
05-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Back again for another year of Preakness action which this year is part of a four day, three track adventure. Took a while to get all plans finalized this year, but everything is finally set.

At the moment I'm sitting at beautiful Belmont Park, from which we will depart this afternoon. And it is beautiful today. The grounds crew has done such a nice job with the place and with a little sun after all the rain, everything looks so lush and alive. Nice race in the 3rd today as well, pre scratch anyway. Not going to play much here, but that one might be interesting.

Tomorrow and Saturday of course will be a return to Pimlico. The weekend looks nice weather wise and the racing should be good. Sunday, we are heading to Charles Town. Never been there before. Know its a small track generally with cheap claimers, which is a type of race I am bad at, so any suggestions on the card would be welcome.

I'm feeling pretty chalky about the Preakness itself, but in a 14 horse field, chalk can still pay ok.

OTM Al
05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
They have redone the food court on the third floor at Belmont and it's a big improvement. Gone are the Sbarro's and Nathan's and the other places. Now they have a place serving deli sandwiches, a pizza place that serves something almost like New York pizza, a burger and dog place and, my favorite, tacos. Just had a delicious bean and cheese burrito. I love burritos. They also have put in a nice bar area with flat screens to watch the simulcasts. Watched the Derby from there, to my great despair....

Only have two bets here today and the first didn't go so well. All the turf runners scratched out of the stake but at least they had five mtos. Going to go watch I Want Revenge. Really liked him a couple years ago before his injury. Never has returned to that level, but he fits well here.

Spendabuck85
05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Good luck and have a fun safe trip. Enjoyed your track blogs last year.

Greyfox
05-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I've always enjoyed your "blogs" from tracks OTM Al so keep up the good work.:ThmbUp:

p.s. Hopefully the "End of the World" on Saturday doesn't interfere with the Preakness. Also no "interesting find" stuff with the "box." :lol:

OTM Al
05-19-2011, 03:20 PM
I've always enjoyed your "blogs" from tracks OTM Al so keep up the good work.:ThmbUp:

p.s. Hopefully the "End of the World" on Saturday doesn't interfere with the Preakness. Also no "interesting find" stuff with the "box." :lol:

I was planning on doing some updates on that. If I run into Kegasus I may have to ask him about it as centaurs were reputed to be powerful augurs.

Just lost my second bet, but no biggie. Just warming up for tomorrow.

Went to the paddock to see I Want Revenge earlier. He is looking good these days, but the wife picked out Hymn Book by looks alone and turned out she was right on that one. Pretty good race for both. Said hi to Maggie. She might be a pretty face guys but she really does know her stuff unlike a long list of
ladies that have been gone on about here in the past. Watched the race from the winner's circle. Somebody was filming the bugler for some reason, so the track workers kept yelling at the girl with him to keep an eye on his hands....

Really nice day out here. Man that winter was too long.

Charli125
05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I was planning on doing some updates on that. If I run into Kegasus I may have to ask him about it as centaurs were reputed to be powerful augurs.

Just lost my second bet, but no biggie. Just warming up for tomorrow.

Went to the paddock to see I Want Revenge earlier. He is looking good these days, but the wife picked out Hymn Book by looks alone and turned out she was right on that one. Pretty good race for both. Said hi to Maggie. She might be a pretty face guys but she really does know her stuff unlike a long list of
ladies that have been gone on about here in the past. Watched the race from the winner's circle. Somebody was filming the bugler for some reason, so the track workers kept yelling at the girl with him to keep an eye on his hands....

Really nice day out here. Man that winter was too long.

Have fun Al, looking forward to your blogging.

GatetoWire
05-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Tomorrow and Saturday of course will be a return to Pimlico. The weekend looks nice weather wise and the racing should be good. Sunday, we are heading to Charles Town. Never been there before. Know its a small track generally with cheap claimers, which is a type of race I am bad at, so any suggestions on the card would be welcome.
ok.
Al: at CT make sure and look at the horses in the walking ring.
Handicapping their form takes a real back seat to how they look at CT.

calltopost
05-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I was going to post some picks and notes while I'm there over the weekend too. I will use my Wordpress blog. Will you use this thread or do you have another one?

cj's dad
05-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Al. you are going to be in town and I am not aware of that ??

I'm hurt !

OTM Al
05-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Al. you are going to be in town and I am not aware of that ??

I'm hurt !

I know. Things kept changing with what was going on and I was worried that if we set something up, something would change again. Anyway, did I see you were coming up to my neck of the woods three weeks from now?

We got here a couple hours ago. Anyone coming in from the north on 95, be aware that the Delaware bridge has two lanes closed. Backed the interstate up for miles. Otherwise not bad. Now at the Mt Vernon on Franklin. Not bad and my favorite restaurant is a block away. Had some dinner at O'Shea's on Charles a couple blocks away. Solid pub grub and pretty good price. Watched the Yanks finally figure out how to score again. Their record since Camden Yards opened is something ridiculous. Now some sleep I think as tomorrow it's off to Pimlico.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Overcast this morning. News is saying 50% chance of rain, so likely showers on and off like yesterday. Tomorrow is supposed to be about perfect though. Already went through the PPs for today while I was at Belmont, so all set barring scratches.

Pretty decent comp breakfast. Got to diet a bit though. Gained a little weight and the Saratoga restaurant, errr racing season is coming up.

Grits
05-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Al, thanks for the note on the bridge--not that one has any choice avoiding it, it'll just mean more time when driving up Belmont week. I detest this bridge, traffic either slows to a crawl, or is backed up as you say, for miles. They've been doing the "construction thing" for a LONG while now. I don't anticipate it being completed in three weeks.

Have a fine day, good luck with your wagering. And stay dry.;)

cj's dad
05-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes Al, doing the annual chartered bus trip with 42 other maniacs. Sit on the 2nd level inside the 16th pole-great seats. I'll let you know the exact location soon. Since you are staying in town, catch a cab and come into "FEderal Hill" this evening. Great bars, food and babes. Call me if you make it in.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes Al, doing the annual chartered bus trip with 42 other maniacs. Sit on the 2nd level inside the 16th pole-great seats. I'll let you know the exact location soon. Since you are staying in town, catch a cab and come into "FEderal Hill" this evening. Great bars, food and babes. Call me if you make it in.

Got Tio Pepe's tonight at 8 so not sure if we can make it over. It was supposed to be last night....as I said, things keep a changing on me.

Festivities about to begin on the hilltop. I think half my picks got scratched. Oh well, stillmadathisbreakfastcereal is still wrong about it.

Caught the tail end of the handicapping forum with Jeanine Edwards, Mike Watchmaker and Joanne Jones. They all like Animal Kingdom. Can't really argue.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Split on the exacta in the first. Nothing new there. Much the same seats as last year, though not quite as far into the turn. My eyes are not quite good enough to see the odds on the big board, but the iPad helps with that.great view down the stretch though.

Wifi is great inside, but nothing out here unfortunately. Almost time for a cocktail.

Shelby
05-20-2011, 12:51 PM
I concur on the cocktail!

Always enjoy reading your blogs.

What's your take on the turf? Really squishy?

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 12:53 PM
The wife is two for two. Me not so much.

Sun just peeking out, but wind is still a little cool.

Got my black eyed Susan drink for this year. It's not bad but is a little strong. I will endeavor to persevere.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
I concur on the cocktail!

Always enjoy reading your blogs.

What's your take on the turf? Really squishy?

They say it is yielding. It looks in very good shape from here. Hard to say about squishy, but it looked to play fair last race.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Wind picking up and clouds rolling in.

Had the winner in the last, but bailed on the bet with the scratch of my second choice. Bailing on this race too, as my only remaining pick is thebig gave. Hate it when you lose a 20-1 horse you like to a scratch.

On black eyed Susan number two and last.

The six looks beutiful in this one, but he's no secret at 2-1 , so no bet

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Have some blue sky and some sprinkles, but wind is dying down again. Those cocktails were a bit stronger than I thought. Time to stop for sure and save up for some tasty Spanish beer at Tio Pepe tonight. I really love that restaurant. The track BBQ smells really good, but in the interest of fine dining, I shall refrain, at least until tomorrow.

Some half drunk floozie can't wait til the next race as she's won all of them so far. This game is cruel. 9/1+8 with a 1+9 box. Let's get some

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Passed on the last. Don't care how good the ladies once were, I'm not besting a race where most of the jocks have been retired for the last several years.

Did a walk about instead. The crowd is pretty good today. Wandered through the museum. They have the front page of a Baltimore paper in there from 1945. Above the headline, "Allies capture Goering" is "Horse racing returns, wartime ban lifted" Different times.

Saw Astrology schooling in the paddock as well. He was very well behaved. Still not betting him. I'll say it now. If that horse wins tomorrow I will not place another bet until Saratoga.

Blenheim
05-20-2011, 03:27 PM
How is the track playing? Fast? What is the rail doing - is it favoring speed? How are the closers doing, are they able to get up in time? How far back are the closers? What are the pressers doing?

What is your take on the racetrack condition?

:1::2::2:

PhantomOnTour
05-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I love Black Eyed Susan day at Pimlico. Good racing, smaller crowds, and better seats than I have on Preakness day. You can get near the winner's circle as well for some good pictures. We usually sit outside on that deck with all the yellow seats. Can't beat that view imo.
Missing the trip for the 2nd year in a row. Thanks for keeping me in touch OTM Al :ThmbUp:
They have some great memorabilia downstairs in the grandstand behind the big bank of windows.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Finally got one in the 8th. $80+ exacta and had it five times. In the good!

I'm really starting to like turf sprints.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 03:47 PM
How is the track playing? Fast? What is the rail doing - is it favoring speed? How are the closers doing, are they able to get up in time? How far back are the closers? What are the pressers doing?

What is your take on the racetrack condition?

:1::2::2:

The track is playing fair and should be in great shape tomorrow as it is pretty well dried out already.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 04:19 PM
First water truck of the day just went by, so now we can say the track is officially fast. Normalcy has returned as well as my exacta pick finished second and third....

The feature is pretty short today, sadly. Think I'll just be watching.

OTM Al
05-20-2011, 05:46 PM
We decided to cut out a bit early. Want to cap a bit and then hit the bar at Tio Pepe before dinner. Loved the one in the feature. When I first looked at the board I thought it said 5/1, but I didn't see the 8/ in front of the 5. Lots of bushy trees in the way. Once I figured that out I played my pick on the 11th and we slipped out. I got it too! Another $200 plus into the pot!!

Time to look at tomorrow's card but feels nice doubling one's money!

Btw, it's cleared up down here and the weather should be great tomorrow.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 08:31 AM
The sky is a beautiful bright blue. Looks like a perfect day. Getting ready to head out. Managed to choke down some breakfast, but still stuffed from last night. Had the same as I had last year as it was just so good. Pollo y langosta. Just delicious. Had the black bean soup as a starter, which was also very thick and tasty, just the way I like a soup.

Races start at 10:45 today, so likely we'll make the first

Some longer shots I like today:

Race 2: 6
Race 3: 3
Race 5: 11
Race 7: 4
Race 8: 7 really like this one

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Made it in plenty of time for the first, thought it helps to know the right way and the valet parking pass we scored didn't hurt either. It's warm already with a light breeze and some humidity. Track looks well watered.

Mailman
05-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Al
Thanks for all your blogs! Always a enjoyable read.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 11:30 AM
No joy yet, though the wife just hit a nice exacta. Going with an aforementioned bomb here. Just reminded myself I really ought to win bet him too......

Zydeco
05-21-2011, 11:55 AM
No joy yet, though the wife just hit a nice exacta. Going with an aforementioned bomb here. Just reminded myself I really ought to win bet him too......

Uh....Al ...could you maybe post the wifes selections??? lol she seems to be doing pretty well also lol

Good luck and I enjoy the blog.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Uh....Al ...could you maybe post the wifes selections??? lol she seems to be doing pretty well also lol

Good luck and I enjoy the blog.

She doesnt really make up her mind til she sees them now. Been taking lessons from Maggie.

Not touching the fourth. Who knows what Life at Ten is now. She looked good, but honestly they all did in this race. Fillies often just decide they don't want to race anymore on their own schedules.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Things in full swing with the first stake of the day in the books. Track still looks to be playing fair.

Got a skywriter crew doing a Geico add and a biplane with a banner letting us know Bengie's drive in is still open. If memory serves, that would be an adult oriented location.....

Pretty good crowd already. What us with these guys wearing pink pants though? It's a rich people thing I know, but it just looks silly.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Three for three on the turf sprints and ofer on the rest. Still puts me way up now with $51 five times on the exacta. Skipping the sixth as my price scratched. Unlike some I tend to get conservative when I get up good.

Of course I went and spent some of it already. Bought the wife a present, but don't tell her.....

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Wandering around a bit. AC is on inside. Saw our own TLG upstairs and now Steve Assmussen is hanging out by the monitors in the CH. Guess he had one at Churchill he wanted to watch. 1-5 winner it looks like, so no one missed a real tip here. May skip the next as well. My three picks ended up being chalk. Because of the day, the exactas are a little better than the norm but not sure it's enough.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Festivities are starting up and so are the drunks.

There was a parachute team to present the colors and then an A-10 flyover. My best friend growing up flew one of those for a while.

Did bet the last, but did not cash. I may be chalky in this one too. Let's look and see.....

redshift1
05-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Things in full swing with the first stake of the day in the books. Track still looks to be playing fair.

How are closers doing I haven't seen any of the races yet?

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 02:50 PM
They are doing fine, but I don't see any bias. Track looks very fair right now. Of course the will have an hour and a half between dirt races to mess with it, so what it is doing now may mean nothing.

Gave the eighth shot as prices were moving to my favor. 7/5+8 and a 5+7 box saver

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Split again.

The guards just brought out the vase and winner's blanket. Got a snap of the lining up in the paddock to come out.

Less than 3 hours to the big one now and 5 minutes less to the end of the world. Not to worried about which comes first. Bet you can get that guy's book for cheap tomorrow. Of course if the rapture is really true, I'm not sure I'll miss those taken away......or at least the ones that think they will.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 03:47 PM
3G is having issues already. Glad I put in my Preakness bet already. $70 on 11-9 and $30 back the other way. Was going to play the pick 4 but lost the signal. Not real worried about it to tell the truth.

It's a long long day. Wouldn't mind a nap to tell the truth.

We will eat at Sascha's tonight. We saw it last night and it looked good. The ladies are over in the Turf Terrace tent on the "good" side of the infield and some locals there recommended. It was between that and Sotto Sopra which also looked fantastic. I have eaten nothing but a little bit of breakfast and may finally be ready around 9.

horses4courses
05-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a great day!

Enjoy the rest of it, and hit it big!!! :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a great day!

Enjoy the rest of it, and hit it big!!! :ThmbUp:

At worst I make a couple bucks and at best depends on how well the exacta pays in the big one. Regardless I have plenty for Chucky Town tomorrow!!

Remember, Al needs help with Chucky Town racing.

Just had a slice of pizza. Couldn't believe I was actually getting hungry, but for the best as dinner is a ways off and we have to hit the after party first. Pizza isn't bad at all by the way. Not NY style. Kinda like those DiGeorno ones you can get at the store which is ok by me.

It's funny as last year everyone was asking me about the iPad and this year no one even notices. The world marches on, at least til 6....

Tom
05-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Wish I were there with ya,, Al...love Pimlico. One of my favorite tracks.
I even have the white chowder when I'm there. ;)

Good luck.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Wish I were there with ya,, Al...love Pimlico. One of my favorite tracks.
I even have the white chowder when I'm there. ;)

Good luck.

I like it a lot too. Yeah, it's a little old, but they really give the place a scrubbing and a fresh layer of paint every year I've come. Looks beter than Churchill, I can say that for sure. No interest in going there for a Derby unless I get comps all the way, which isn't likely.

BTW the red chowder at Saratoga isn't going anywhere despite all the food service changes. I expect the selections to be even better there this year than ever.

Tom
05-21-2011, 04:52 PM
BTW the red chowder at Saratoga isn't going anywhere

:eek: :eek: It better not. I go for the chowder, not the racing! :D

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the blog Al!

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 05:14 PM
:eek: :eek: It better not. I go for the chowder, not the racing! :D

Just got extra confirmation. The soup man is safe.

Here goes the water on the track.

And the wait......

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Lot of drunks here....at least the ones in the infield admit what they are about.

My exactas are a little lighter than I hoped, but if I crank one 35 times, I'm not going to worry about it too much. Maybe stillrevivingsixyearoldthreads will start a new thread about it.

Funny, but I don't feel like I have only 24 more minutes to live.

Tom
05-21-2011, 05:48 PM
I am waiting to see if they show an empty Pimlico with just Al sitting there!

Or maybe not....:D

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Still here along with a lot of people I wish weren't. Anyone hear from boxcar?

Had a bit of an outage there for a bit. Every drunk girl in the place texting her best buds will do that.

They are being saddled now. Oh Christmastree can't be long now.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Ok we got that out of the way.

They are coming by. Astrology is frothing from the mouth. Probably realized he has no shot.

Animal Kingdom looks like he has put on more weight.

MMM looks good.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 06:24 PM
The kids from Annapolis are a line of white along the turf course rail. Nice spot to watch.

All the experts in the crowd are still arguing the logic of their picks.

Whatever commercial is on NBC now, have you seen it too many times already?

A few workers rake the track at the last moment and scurry away.

One minute now.

Animal Kingdom to clear favoritism.

I bet Chucky Town won't look like this....

That might be a good thing.

Lock and load.

The wife likes the same ones as me plus Dance City.

I'd take a picture but the drunks are climbing on their chairs.

And there they go....

Complete pace collapse assured.

Coming around the turn.

Didn't quite get there.

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 06:48 PM
At the post race party now, though it hasn't really gotten going yet. A lot of tired warriors are getting their baths in front of the stakes barns.

Said hi to Richie Migliore. He has to go back on the air but has wrecked his voice from cheering.

Quiet mood. No TC chance, but it could have been worse. World could have ended. Besides, I am enjoying watching the oblivious wealthy step in a pile of horse crap.

Midnight Cruiser
05-21-2011, 08:33 PM
great blog today al. classic line with the oblivious poop steppers!

OTM Al
05-21-2011, 09:06 PM
It was a fun day. We didn't stick around at the party long. It just was a little too sedate this year. Watched the winner get his bath. Watching horses get a bath always cracks me up for some reason. They had a picture of one at the DJF benefit at Saratoga last year and I had to buy it.

Saw a few of the trainers. Don't like Lukas' horses much but the man can dress. Zito was walking around as well.

Taking a load off before dinner. Forgot the sunblock on the front of my neck so I got the farmer thing going. At least it doesn't hurt.

Got the CT PPs for tomorrow. No turf sprints of course, so I'm in trouble! Again, anyone playing tomorrow that knows the place, your tips are needed. You will not be forgotten.

Heard two things so far. Paddy o'Prado exited his win with a foot bruise, so probably won't make it back for Belmont Stakes day, Manhatfan I think is that one. Our Preakness winner is considering though. Kinda hope Animal Kingdom aims for Virginia to tell the truth, but we will see.

Enough for today. More from WV tomorrow.

Tom
05-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I have sent your name to the NBC, AL......you need to be wired for the Belmont.

OTM Al
05-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Finally got to see the network coverage of the race. Thought Animal Kingdom might have hung a bit, but not the case at all. Just was left with too much to do. He is a solid middle distance (we call the marathons in the US) runner.

Between the sun and good food I'm moving slowly. We have seats in the Skyline Terrace, so no real rush.

Sascha's last night was interesting. We both settled on the lobster bisque and goat cheese gnocchi. They had some interesting combinations. Seed a pretty nice place though we were there for the tail end of service. Not bad if you like innovative dishes. I usually like things a little more traditional, so not going to rave, but the wife really liked it.

I'm using the gym tonight.....

OTM Al
05-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Sitting in the Skyline Terrace at CT. Nice buffet, though a little too brown.

Hit the second, though it was really chalky, but forty bucks is forty bucks. Just blew the third race with my underneath horses finishing one-two as I tried to get a bomb in the exacta. That one was worth $68 so smarts a little.

Horses are pretty crummy but this is kind of a fun place. The room is nice. Probably will wander the casino later. It was packed when we got here.

OTM Al
05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Done with the racing odyssey. Missed a couple maybe should have had but the sixth just told me this track is not in my league. Final totals

Belmont: -$40
Pimlico Friday: +484
Pimlico Saturday: +$13
Charles Town: -$37

So a winning weekend! And a great time.

OTM Al
05-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the blog Al!

Thanks for the site my friend. Wish I would have looked at you pick!

Found a bar somewhat off the floor at Charlie Town and having a few. No workie no havta drivie.

We plated the slots before we sat down. Ten bucks each. Gone in less than two minutes. Still want someone to tell me how it's a better deal than racing.

Btw. Saw a couple things this weekend I just want to pass on. Friday night after dinner we went down to a 7-11 as the wife waned something to read. Two young guys were arguing outside. It was about how one should have had the super. The second thing was over a hundred thousand crammed themselves into Pimlico Saturday. The last was the apron was four deep a Carlie Town for an NW3L 5000 claimer.

Long live the king.

calltopost
05-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for posting some notes!

Were you guys in the Pimlico grandstand Saturday for the 8th race and on? It was so hot I thought I might pass out standing in line! I couldn't believe the crowd and the heat.

OTM - how do you make updates during the day... was there wi-fi at Pimlico or something?

OTM Al
05-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for posting some notes!

Were you guys in the Pimlico grandstand Saturday for the 8th race and on? It was so hot I thought I might pass out standing in line! I couldn't believe the crowd and the heat.

OTM - how do you make updates during the day... was there wi-fi at Pimlico or something?

They did have wifi in the building, so I could get it when I went in there. Otherwise just used the 3G connection that held up ok through the day.

I did walk through the grandstand durning that period and yes, it was pretty crowded. You needed to find where the AC was best. One was right outside the paddock crossover and along inside the clubhouse on the ground floor. I spent a bit of time in those spots to be sure.

Home now. Belmont in 3 weeks and then Saratoga is right around the corner.