PDA

View Full Version : Hampshire In NY

Suff
10-30-2003, 09:07 PM
J. Hampshire has 4 mounts in NY Tommorrow.

Unlike Mckee last year..although a BUG he was CD champ...or Dunkleberger two years ago. I think Hampshire will stick and win some races....

First of all.. he's not a Kid. Owns a Home.. Kid in High school, a newborn...and has been racing here at Suffolk for a long long time.

He's a Proffessional Rider. 7 years in row he has been Suffolks leading rider. Averages almost 80 mounts a Month. The man just rides. He's entering the Jock Room with all the respect he needs to win races in NY. And I think he will. He won with his First Mount on openeing day... he had a few nice efforts today.

I expect him to do well. Watch him.

He has 4 mounts on Friday. Of the 4... I like none. I'll take another look at him over the weekend.

SilverSow
10-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Years ago (OK, early to mid-90's), I used to spend Labor day weekend at Rockingham Park in Salem, NH... I used it as a way to wind down from Saratoga Augusts, and a weekend at Rockingham was pretty much all it took to calm me down from the races and wait for the next year at the Spa.

Anyway, Hampshire was a regular there... as Suff said, a solid jockey, did OK considering the fact that Rudy Baez got all the good mounts at the Rock at that time... certainly a cut above the Winston Thompsons and William Klinkes that were also riding there back then.

I was surprised to hear he made the jump to NYC, though, although maybe the larger purses there were the attraction as opposed to going someplace smaller (and warmer) down south for the winter. As you said, Suff, this guy has got some skill, and with a few decent mounts, he'll probably do OK...

Dave

;)

Valuist
10-31-2003, 10:02 AM
Funny thing I picked up Saturday's DRF and saw this guy has the mount on Quiet Ruler in the stake. Had never heard of him before but I don't follow NE racing.

WINMANWIN
10-31-2003, 04:53 PM
I heard Joey Interviewed on the O.T.B Show Tuesday and he sounded like a nice guy and was very well spoken. I didn't like Hampshire's mounts either today, As his next to last mount was in the 6th, And I said to myself, Joey's hanging around for the last
let me give him a whirl. Glad I did as his mount figured with the fave, who got bumped at the start :rolleyes: and Joey
H. prevailed with Ryan Is Flying, As Emotrin RAN second to complete an O.K. Perfector.

Suff
10-31-2003, 05:10 PM
Good Job. People do call him Joe. His real name is Josiah.

Suff
10-31-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by WINMANWIN
I complete an O.K. Perfector.

Butchy did you use "perfecta" cuz you were talking about a suffolk Jock? I can't recall ..are there other tracls besides suffolk that do not have Exacta's? Suffolk has Perfecta's.

On the same subject. Everyone in Saratoga Springs calls a Trifecta a "triple" or The triple. Other locale's too. I never heard a Trifecta called a Triple until I started visiting other race tracks.

Butchy.. btw.. we pronounce it "Pa" "Feckta" ..lol

cj
10-31-2003, 06:10 PM
I know in Maryland, trifectas were always called triples...don't know if they still are. When I went to Wyoming and asked for a triple, the guy handed me a P3 ticket...I was confused for a while!

WINMANWIN
10-31-2003, 06:16 PM
Dont we love this game or what ?:confused: Some states call them PERFECTOR'S, Some call them TRIACTOR'S :eek: EITHER
OR EITHOR :D As long as I hit some to stay alive Grinding it out with'em, I could care less..In Bklyn, We call a pick 3..... A PICK TREE..;)

PaceAdvantage
11-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Doesn't Woodbine use Perfectas?

As for triples, in NY, for the longest time, trifectas were called triples. But then, around the time the Pick 3 was instituted here in NY, they decided to go with the rest of the world (well, MOST of the rest of the world), and officially rename them TRIFECTA.

==PA

mikekk
11-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Doesn't Woodbine use Perfectas?

As for triples, in NY, for the longest time, trifectas were called triples. But then, around the time the Pick 3 was instituted here in NY, they decided to go with the rest of the world (well, MOST of the rest of the world), and officially rename them TRIFECTA.

==PA

Nope. Woodbine (and the rest of Canada) is the home of the Exactor.

It says something about the insular world that racing is trying to get out from under that the nomenclature on something as central as betting differs from one jurisdiction to the next. I remember trying to bet a tri-partwheel at Bay Meadows in the late 80's (it was a relatively new bet there) and being told by the clerk to use a machine because he couldn't understand me. Told me that if I didn't want a box or a straight that he didn't know how to key it in!!

Suff
11-01-2003, 11:05 AM
At Saratoga we pooled about 300 one day and played a Group PIK4 we woulda hit for 3 grand. They sent me up with the Money to make the bet. 9 minutes to post. I got to the window just as I heard Durkin say.. "waiting for" X Horse, X Horse and X horse to load.

I get to the window.. I say.. $1.00 Pik4.. 2, 3,8, with 3, 4, 6 with the 3, 4, 5, 6,7 with the 2,3 6.. The teller is typing away furiously on her key pad as I call out the numbers... I finish just as Tom Durkin says..."They are all in Line".

The teller looks at me and says... "Ok $1.00 Pik4" "What are the numbers ?"

Tom
11-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Didn't see one of my favorite movies on TV last night-Night of the Living Dead.
Guess I'll have to go to the track today and watch the teller cage!:eek:

Figman
11-08-2003, 01:20 PM
What happened to this jock? He has disappeared. He has been replaced on all his scheduled mounts the last few days.

Suff
11-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Figman
What happened to this jock? He has disappeared. He has been replaced on all his scheduled mounts the last few days.

He back in Boston. Family issue. He's not sold on being away from his Family to make a name for himself in NY. He's Loaded. Millionaire. Honestly FIG.. I think he's one of those guys... That likes a smaller world. Why go to NY and Make a Million a Year, when I can stay right here in Boston and make 300K at Suffolk.

Try a Horse in the 8th at Hawthorne Tommorrow.

Margartita Midnight in the Featured 8th race stakes. Suffolk shipper. This all ties in together..rather loosley.. But I just can't Post it Publicly. I'll try and get the whole scoop by Monday or Tuesday. The guy I'm going to ask.. Reads all my PA posts so he knows its coming.

Figman
11-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Doesn't make sense Suff. Sufferin'Downs is "sufferin" and and Rock no longer "rocks". Sufferin may not open next May. A competitive jock has to be prepared for the worst. An older rider has to keep in shape. I hope you've got the right info.

Suff
11-08-2003, 06:37 PM
I KNOW he is here. I know it. The Gal on that Horse tommorrow at Hawthorne spoke to him.....and she gave the horse,,,and the exact Family business is none of my business and would'nt even ask. It may be a Spur of the moment thing.. He has a newborn. As far as wether he is just away Temp or what I cannot say,,, But I did hear he was wishy washy about the whole idea to start with,,

btw.. was riding very well... 2 winners? 3? I think. PLus ,, he had as many mounts as the 2nd tiers... I think he had 15 Mounts? and the MIG and them were only around 20...so he was getting business..

Suff
11-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Like many here.. I get lil conversations going about Horses and racing via PM or E-mail with guys on the Board. If you ask them what Track I most talk about...its not NY...Its suffolk. I rarely discuss anything Suffolk Downs on PA.

Suffolks downs was one of the Most influential places in my Life.

The Race track. Thats where I became a Friend with my Father.

I was always his son.. But when we went the track together..we went as friends and son. My Dad Loved the Horses..and we shared that. Some of my fondest memorys of me and my Dad are at Suffolk. My father loved showing me how to read a racing form.. I remember I had a fistful of tickets and he asked me who I had and I showed him my Tickets... and he said "you bet like a Chinaman!".. I think I was about 15 years old at the time..and I had people putting my bets in for me.. I never knew what Betting Like a " chinaman" was.. and all I rememberd was that I never wanted to bet Like a Chinaman...

when I am having a Losing day... I'll get frustarted and say to myself "Michael , Your betting like a chinaman!"
to this day I have no idea what it means... But I use it

I love Suffolk Downs. Breaks my heart to see it go.

SilverSow
11-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Hmmmm... I don;t claim to be a seer or anything, Suff.. but "bet like a Chinaman" sounds pretty close to a "Chinese fire drill" to me... LOL... for the unitiated, this is when a car stops at a red light and everyone gets out, runs around the car, and then gets back in, then the light changes and everyone moves on... perhaps your dad was making an... um... organizational... analysis of your betting patterns? :)

I got to know my dad on the golf course.. same scenario.. friends AND as his son... at least until I started beating him and all of a sudden we had to negotiate handicap strokes, a concept that was unheard of when he was beating the tar out of ME... LMAO...

Dave

:cool: