PDA

View Full Version : Mike Smith: first ride in Britain

gm10
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
It's a shame that with so many great race courses in the South East, he ends up riding at Folkestone, but I wish him well.

"MIKE SMITH, who partnered the brilliant Zenyatta in 17 of her 20 races, including her heartbreaking sole defeat in the Breeders' Cup Classic last year, is set to have his first ride in Britain when he travels to Folkestone next Thursday."

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/m-e-smith-folkestone-trip-for-zenyattas-jockey-mike-smith/858866/top/

gm10
05-22-2011, 09:18 AM
A few rides at Lingfield as well! I'm sure he'll attract quite a crowd.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/illuminative-m-e-smith-lingfield-a-w-lingfield-to-provide-new-test-for-zenyattas-jockey-smith/860624/top/

cj
05-22-2011, 02:30 PM

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/illuminative-m-e-smith-lingfield-a-w-lingfield-to-provide-new-test-for-zenyattas-jockey-smith/860624/top/

To see Mike Smith?

gm10
05-22-2011, 02:43 PM
To see Mike Smith?

Yes. This is Lingfield. Many things will attract a crowd at Lingfield.

I'm thinking of driving down there to have him sign my Zenyatta poster from Santa Anita. Only problem is that I'm taking care of the little pickle and I don't enjoy changing dirty diapers when I'm at the race course. I don't enjoy the dirty diaper part much in general :cool:.

horses4courses
05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
It's a shame he couldn't pick up a mount, or two, at Sandown that evening, or Newmarket on Friday. Much better tracks than Folkestone....

gm10
05-22-2011, 04:00 PM
It's a shame he couldn't pick up a mount, or two, at Sandown that evening, or Newmarket on Friday. Much better tracks than Folkestone....

I'm traveling to Sandown on Thursday ... Workforce is making his seasonal debut in the Brigadier Gerard. It's a pretty decent field actually.

http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/cards/card.sd?race_id=531222&r_date=2011-05-26

Maybe Mike Smith will pick up a few more rides, I'm sure many owners/trainers would like to see their horse ridden by the jockey of Zenyatta.

Humph
05-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Can't see any jockey , regardless of who he or she is , interesting the locals that much down at "leafy" .

In fact , I'm sure few English punters would have even heard of Mike .

And as for Folkestone , is there a shabbier track in England ?

horses4courses
05-22-2011, 04:52 PM

I would guess Wolverhampton, or Southwell?
There are probably a few more, as well, but Folkestone is no bargain.

gm10
05-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Can't see any jockey , regardless of who he or she is , interesting the locals that much down at "leafy" .

In fact , I'm sure few English punters would have even heard of Mike .

Maybe not heard of Mike Smith ... but certainly of "the jockey of Zenyatta". It's definitely going to get coverage on At The Races. Always does when an American jockey/trainer comes over.

Folkestone ... never been there but apparently it's one of the worst, yes.

sonnyp
05-22-2011, 06:09 PM
did you guys hear the story of when immigration agents were conducting a raid on the backstretch of one of the so. cal. tracks, an agent asked him what his name was ? he looks very latin and he replied mike smith. the agent says to him, "alright wiseguy...get in the van."

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
He looks very Latin? That's news to me...tell me that story is BS...

sonnyp
05-22-2011, 06:56 PM
He looks very Latin? That's news to me...tell me that story is BS...

black hair(what's left), dark skin.... looks latin to me. ive learned my lessons on this board about sources.

ill try to dig it up. it wassupposed to have actually happened.

Scanman
05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
And as for Folkestone , is there a shabbier track in England ?Yeah. Easily, Southwell.

Bruddah
05-22-2011, 11:00 PM
black hair(what's left), dark skin.... looks latin to me. ive learned my lessons on this board about sources.

ill try to dig it up. it wassupposed to have actually happened.

Bruddah, you must have another Mike Smith in mind. He is as far from looking Latin as Gomer Pyle looks Chineese.

I think you need to check those sources you are referencing. :D

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2011, 04:12 AM
black hair(what's left), dark skin.... Is that all it takes? :rolleyes:

Note to ICE: do not, under any circumstance, ever hire sonnyp as an agent... :lol:

gm10
05-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Mike was delayed (something about customs) and won't arrive in time to race at Lingfield. He is on his way, though.

FenceBored
05-23-2011, 11:38 AM
To see Mike Smith?

How many chances will the Brits have to see the only jockey who managed to lose a race on Zenyatta?