PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew, 74, dies of cancer

IRISHLADSTABLE
05-17-2011, 02:20 PM
http://www.optimum.net/News/AP/Article?fmId=52477687

Marshall Bennett
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Really sad news. Grew up watching him pound the ball. Always felt like him and Frank Howard had more raw power than anyone that ever played. Rip tough guy.

Ocala Mike
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
One of the true "great ones." RIP in the field of dreams with all the other immortals.

Ocala Mike

sonnyp
05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
he came out the other day with a statement that it was with a "profound sadness" he was giving up his fight and entering hospice.

i know life can be a bitch, and we're all going to get to that point, but i just can't imagine one's thoughts in those last days.

as i read each day of another childhood hero or personality passing i realize it is truly an end of an era.

i'm not a literature guy but i always think,"ask not for whom the bell tolls.........it tolls for thee".

Bettowin
05-18-2011, 12:51 AM
My first major league game was watching Harmon, Bob Allison, Cesar Tovar, Rod Carew taking batting practice at a knothole game. Harmon just kept hitting batting practice balls into the left field seat knowing us cub scouts were out there:)

ArlJim78
05-18-2011, 02:14 PM
It's sad to watch the icons of your youth pass on. Killebrew was a favorite of mine, for years I swore by my Harmon Killebrew model bat.

canleakid
05-18-2011, 05:39 PM
RIP Killer :cool:

ElKabong
05-19-2011, 12:49 AM
hit more HRs than anyone in the 1960s. Was one of my favorites.

Before joing the USAF in 1975, I was at the old Met watching them play KC. Killer puts one in the LF bleachers, not far from me. Sure wish now I had gone after that ball. Instead I saw a little kid and his dad running full bore for it. i figured the ball would mean more to a kid (local) than me so I didn't go after it....whenever I think of Killebrew, I think of that moment, and the fact that Killer was a very good, decent human

And a helluva power hitter