PDA

View Full Version : Books For Sale

Charlie
05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
All like New. Handicapping for Bettor or Worse, Lindley (Hard Cover), Small Track Betting (Richardson), (SC) and Betting Thoroughbreds, 2nd edition, Davidowitz, (HC). Package Deal for $58.00 and includes S+H. Message me if interrested.

jeebus1083
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Small Track Betting is probably the worst handicapping book in the history of horse racing. I got NOTHING out of it, but JMHO.

GameTheory
05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
$58? You've got $20 of books there on a good day...

Charlie
05-18-2011, 04:21 PM
The 3 books were sold, but truth be told, I had to throw in The Best of Thouroughbred Handicapping by Quinn. Sold them locally so reduced the price because of no shipping charge. And I do agree, Small Track Handicapping is truly bad. His 8 point system adds up to zero. By the way, I once wrote the author for some type of clarity, but never received a response.

Dick Schmidt
05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Is anyone here familiar with the term "thread crapping"? We have two clear examples of it here. Guys, if you don't like an item for sale or think it is overpriced, then don't buy it. It is rude, to say the least, to intrude on another's attempt to sell an item. On a lot of boards, both of you would be permanently banned for such behavior.

Dick

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

GameTheory
05-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Is anyone here familiar with the term "thread crapping"? We have two clear examples of it here. Guys, if you don't like an item for sale or think it is overpriced, then don't buy it. It is rude, to say the least, to intrude on another's attempt to sell an item. On a lot of boards, both of you would be permanently banned for such behavior.Permanently banned? If this were primarily a "market" I could see that but it sounds a bit extreme. It seems a bit rude to me to try to rip someone off too or I wouldn't have said anything. (I'm not suggesting he was KNOWINGLY trying to rip anyone off.) It's not just slightly over-priced. Each of those books can be gotten for $4 or less on Amazon, including shipping. That's why I said $20 was generous. I really don't think I have anything to apologize for.

cj
05-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Permanently banned? If this were primarily a "market" I could see that but it sounds a bit extreme. It seems a bit rude to me to try to rip someone off too or I wouldn't have said anything. (I'm not suggesting he was KNOWINGLY trying to rip anyone off.) It's not just slightly over-priced. Each of those books can be gotten for $4 or less on Amazon, including shipping. That's why I said $20 was generous. I really don't think I have anything to apologize for.

Not to mention this isn't exactly eBay, it is a message board.

Charlie
05-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Dick ... thanks for your post. CJ ... I knew this isn't E.Bay, but I have in the past noticed handicapping items for sale on this board, so I thought PA allowed this. GameTheory ... I had decided to part with some of my Handicapping Books and really had no idea what the asking price should be. The books I had adverised for sale were like brand new and I went to America Turf Monthly and Gamblers Book Club and used their asking price as a guide. I have so many Books such as Common Sense Handicapping, Winner's File, Handicapping Magic and Thouroughbred Handicapping (Quirn) and they are all like brand new. I just don't know what the going price would be, so I have placed any future sales on hold. But anyway, I was not trying to rip anyone off. I just wanted to clarify the situation.

GameTheory
05-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Dick ... thanks for your post. CJ ... I knew this isn't E.Bay, but I have in the past noticed handicapping items for sale on this board, so I thought PA allowed this. GameTheory ... I had decided to part with some of my Handicapping Books and really had no idea what the asking price should be. The books I had adverised for sale were like brand new and I went to America Turf Monthly and Gamblers Book Club and used their asking price as a guide. I have so many Books such as Common Sense Handicapping, Winner's File, Handicapping Magic and Thouroughbred Handicapping (Quirn) and they are all like brand new. I just don't know what the going price would be, so I have placed any future sales on hold. But anyway, I was not trying to rip anyone off. I just wanted to clarify the situation.That is exactly what I figured, Charlie. I suggest you go to Amazon next time and see what people are getting for used copies in "like new" or "very good" condition. You'll find most books pretty cheap but maybe a few that are scarce and going for $50 and up. (You could always list yours on there as well. That's what I do.) http://www.bookfinder.com is another even more comprehensive source.

Dave Schwartz
05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Speaking of used books, while we were in Portland last weekend our son took us to Powell's Book Store (http://www.powells.com/info/storeinformation.html).

I have just never seen anything like this place. (They actually have several in Portland.) Imagine a city block-sized building, multi-story, almost all used books!

Alas, only a couple of hundred horse racing books. :confused: But I did find some wonderful mindless-fiction I have been searching for. The prices were very reasonable as well.

If you are ever in that neck of the woods, check it out.

HuggingTheRail
05-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Alas, only a couple of hundred horse racing books.

"Only"?...that's about a couple of hundred more horse racing books than most used book stores we have in Vancouver :D

GameTheory
05-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Most of Powell's stuff is on-line:

http://www.powells.com

chickenhead
05-19-2011, 03:52 PM
agreed dave we stopped in powells on our trip to portland... neat place and well worth a visit.

hugh
05-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Waaay back when I was in my high school hacking days I went to Powells in portland... their used section had a ton of great/underground titles...
It's a must-visit when you're in the city.

strapper
05-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I've got a bunch for sale, too. Way too many in my garage!

dylbert
05-29-2011, 10:57 PM
In my opinion, any price is subjective to both seller and buyer.

However, as professional buyer for over 30 years, I like some measure of objectiveness. Hence, try this web site when shopping for new or used titles: www.cheapestbookprice.com Another site to consider is www.allbookstores.com

Lindley book less than $3 from three sources plus shipping
Richardson book less than $2 from four sources (one @ 13 cents!) plus shipping
Davidowitz book less than $6 from four sources plus shipping

$11 for books + $12 shipping = $23 fair value with all books coming from Half.com and Amazon Marketplace sellers. Yes, 13 cent books probably is not museum collection quality.

I hope that this forum remains more focused on sharing information and offering education to one another rather than sniping about "thread crapping" or some other nonsense.

Actor
06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Small Track Betting is probably the worst handicapping book in the history of horse racing. I got NOTHING out of it, but JMHO.
You got NOTHING out of it because there is NOTHING in it. :D