PDA

View Full Version : Nehro in Preakness?

Cholly
05-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Does anyone else get a chuckle out of the DRF story about Ahmed Zayat’s trying to decide if Nehro is ready to run back in the Preakness. What is there about selling Coca-Cola in Cairo (like that should be really difficult) that qualifies him make decisions like this? I loved his comment that he would deign to “consult with Asmussen” before making a final decision…wtf!

Living in Texas and watching the football Cowboys flounder familiarizes one with the results when the Owner decides he knows more than the Coach.

point given
05-16-2011, 10:25 PM
He happens to own the horse and can do what he likes. To me its too many races too close together and I'd wait for the Belmont We shall see what Assman thinks and recommends to him.

elysiantraveller
05-16-2011, 10:36 PM
How about a NW2L?

Then point to the Haskell/Travers combo. Its not like this horse is just missing to the same horse everytime. He has a serious case of seconditus, take some time, take down an allowance, and aim towards the other summer classics.

Spalding No!
05-16-2011, 11:44 PM
He happens to own the horse and can do what he likes.
Try telling that to Fifth Third Bank.

Mineshaft
05-17-2011, 12:16 AM
How about a NW2L?

Then point to the Haskell/Travers combo. Its not like this horse is just missing to the same horse everytime. He has a serious case of seconditus, take some time, take down an allowance, and aim towards the other summer classics.

bingo we have a winner.......

turninforhome10
05-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Nehro has got to take his shot now. You just wait there are going to be some new shooters around after the Preakness\ Belmont. The Peter Pan horses are nothing to snooze and probably some 3yos still under the radar. Nehro just might be good right now as he is one of the few survivors of the Arkansas Derby. What are you gonna do with a healthy Factor, that horse would love Monmouth. Saratoga is a whole different ball game. His time is right now.

Leparoux
05-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Nehro has got to take his shot now. You just wait there are going to be some new shooters around after the Preakness\ Belmont. The Peter Pan horses are nothing to snooze and probably some 3yos still under the radar. Nehro just might be good right now as he is one of the few survivors of the Arkansas Derby. What are you gonna do with a healthy Factor, that horse would love Monmouth. Saratoga is a whole different ball game. His time is right now.
I don't think you can run him out of fear of future competition. If he's ready then run him, if not then wait for the Belmont. It's a long season... point him toward Haskell/Travers and then the Breeders Cup Classic if he needs a break right now.

turninforhome10
05-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Are you assuming then that Nehro is a horse that will do well after a layoff? Getting a 3yo colt to let down is tough and you can't just keep him in training as he will get sour. If you are going to do anything run him in the Preakness or Belmont (remember 2 horses are running for crazy money in the Preakness), rest him and point for the Super Derby if he shows he belongs, prep him for the Breeders Cup. It will be too hard to keep him just right for too long. The horse needs a jock with more patience than Nakatani. He is a young horse and just learning to really run. He is not a horse with multiple runs. Ask him at the 3/8ths pole and give him clear sailing he is tough, asking him to carry a full tilt run around the turn 8 wide is not good. He is a thinking mans horse and only a jock who is good at predicting holes is gonna get it done. I would love to see Joel Rosario ride in the Preakness as that is the type of jockey I am thinking of. He could be a real nice horse and Scott Blasi is taking real good care of him.

Bruddah
05-17-2011, 01:51 AM
It doesn't make sense to run him at Pimlico. The track is much more narrow and definitely does not lend itself to deep closers. The Preakness will just make a Belmont run for Nehro impossible. If he waits for the Belmont, I believe he wins it.

toussaud
05-17-2011, 08:35 AM
contary to popular belief i don't think he wants to run this far. i mean he's classy he is going to show up but I think he would be a perfect miler/ 8.5 furlong horse. he hangs in the stretch. horse will get dusted in the belmont if he went there.

Spalding No!
05-17-2011, 08:52 AM
contary to popular belief i don't think he wants to run this far. i mean he's classy he is going to show up but I think he would be a perfect miler/ 8.5 furlong horse. he hangs in the stretch. horse will get dusted in the belmont if he went there.

If he is ridden like he is running in a mile/8.5f race, then he will get dusted in the Belmont. Otherwise, he's just as likely as any to see out the distance. They all hang at 12f.

lamboguy
05-17-2011, 09:06 AM
personally, i would run him in the preakness, and then run him win or lose in the belmont as long as he runs good in the preakness. the more he runs against animal kingdom the better he will get. i think that animal kingdom is the type of horse that is getting better and better right now.

elysiantraveller
05-17-2011, 09:43 AM
*Cough* First Dude *Cough*

Leparoux
05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
If he is ridden like he is running in a mile/8.5f race, then he will get dusted in the Belmont. Otherwise, he's just as likely as any to see out the distance. They all hang at 12f.
:ThmbUp:

Leparoux
05-17-2011, 09:55 AM
How so? Shackleford looks like the First Dude of this crop so far.

keithw84
05-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Similar in that both were were eligible for NW2XL, and always performed well in the big races but seemed to not have quite enough (class, guts, whatever) to win.

But I think you have to note that First Dude was usually setting the pace and getting passed at the end whereas Nehro has generally come flying from the back of the pack and come close in the final strides. The Kentucky Derby is the first race I've seen of Nehro's where someone passed him.

Spendabuck85
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Nehro, the Kentucky Derby runner-up, will not run in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday at Pimlico, owner Ahmed Zayat said early Tuesday morning
Full story at DRF.com
http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-nehro-declared-out-zayat