PDA

View Full Version : Most Embarassing Loss

maddog42
05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
I've done a bit of red boarding, so I thought I would list some of my failures. I get to RP late on Sunday with my wife. We are bargain hunting gamblers and we had $20 worth of coupons. I give my coupons to her and she plays slots. I lose the first 3 races I bet and I played 2 horses to win in one of them. No big deal. I switch over and bet Monmouth race 11. I get a #2 ppf (3rd fraction rating) on the 1 with the favorite having the best rating. I bet the 1 at 50/1 to win and take the 2 favorites on top in exactas. Naturally the 50 to 1 shot places behind the 4th favorite and I collect nada. I brush it off but it bothers me a little. I work a race and skip it: no odds. Then the 12th at Monmouth is about to go 8 minutes till Post. I work it quickly and don't see much,but the 4 is 18/1 and has 2nd best ppf in the race. I like the fav and i take the top 3 betting choices to win over my 18/1 shot 4. Naturally the 4 places behind the fts at 35/1. Now I dont begrudge not hitting the exacta, and being a numbers guy maybe I shouldn't even be in the race with a fts, but damn it my handicapping was good and I stll lost. I am angry by this time. And yes I have heard of a place bet.
A recent review of my place bets showed they weren't doing as well as exactas would have. Zig and zag from place to exactas. Still Lose. This is a tough game even when you handicap well . Now betting is not my strong suit, I know that. I have read most of the literature from Meadow to Cramer and I get very frustrated at this game. I think this game pays good betters better than good handicapping.

maddog42
05-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I've done a bit of red boarding, so I thought I would list some of my failures. I get to RP late on Sunday with my wife. We are bargain hunting gamblers and we had $20 worth of coupons. I give my coupons to her and she plays slots. I lose the first 3 races I bet and I played 2 horses to win in one of them. No big deal. I switch over and bet Monmouth race 11. I get a #2 ppf (3rd fraction rating) on the 1 with the favorite having the best rating. I bet the 1 at 50/1 to win and take the 2 favorites on top in exactas. Naturally the 50 to 1 shot places behind the 4th favorite and I collect nada. I brush it off but it bothers me a little. I work a race and skip it: no odds. Then the 12th at Monmouth is about to go 8 minutes till Post. I work it quickly and don't see much,but the 4 is 18/1 and has 2nd best ppf in the race. I like the fav and i take the top 3 betting choices to win over my 18/1 shot 4. Naturally the 4 places behind the fts at 35/1. Now I dont begrudge not hitting the exacta, and being a numbers guy maybe I shouldn't even be in the race with a fts, but damn it my handicapping was good and I stll lost. I am angry by this time. And yes I have heard of a place bet.
A recent review of my place bets showed they weren't doing as well as exactas would have. Zig and zag from place to exactas. Still Lose. This is a tough game even when you handicap well . Now betting is not my strong suit, I know that. I have read most of the literature from Meadow to Cramer and I get very frustrated at this game. I think this game pays good betters better than good handicapping.

I forgot: My wife comes up to me then and naturally she wins $100 on the slots. I always chide her about what bandits they are. A lesson in humility.

CincyHorseplayer
05-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Ashwood CC,2001,River Downs.Played her in exactas which I didn't have any love for the other contenders.She won in a breeze at 5-1.I collected next to nothing.Total embarrassment.Was a 3yo filly that had lightning works and a favorable pace scenario.I think about it at least once or twice a season at RD,unintentionally.

pondman
05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
I personally owned a horse. It was at 24-1. Didn't think it had a chance. Didn't bet it. It won easy.

cnollfan
05-16-2011, 04:12 PM
AkSarBen, 1978. On summer vacations from college I am going to the races every day with dreams of being a professional gambler. A high-school friend of mine comes to visit. He is not a horseplayer but wants to hang out with me at the track. In the first race I like the horse Jonna Dee, who is the second favorite and the lone speed. My friend likes Latin Wayfarer, the favorite. We argue. I bet $300 to win on Jonna Dee, my largest bet ever at that point, and $24 in the daily double. Nowadays I hedge but in those days I did not. Jonna Dee leads every step of the way but gets caught at the wire by Latin Wayfarer. My friend is very excited and starts waving a $2 place ticket on Latin Wayfarer in my face.

mistergee
05-16-2011, 04:32 PM
so how did you kill him?>

outofthebox
05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Ky Derby day 1990 at Hollywood Park. Nice 2 day carryover in Pick 6 well over 1 million. A buddy and i have a ticket mapped out for just under $500. I'm the groom for a first time grass runner in the stake that day named Itsallgreektome. He's a single on our ticked at 30-1. I run over to the frontside to give my buddy my half and he tells me he invested a larger amount in another syndicated ticket, so he can't go in on mine. I still wanted to put that ticket in but i needed another single to cut the ticket back. You know what happens next, i took off the winner of a race that i was only 2 deep in. Nobody had 6 that day and i got a great conso 1 time for a couple grand. The syndicate ticket hit a few conso's but missed on Itsallgreektome. Thats a stinger for life!

CincyHorseplayer
05-16-2011, 05:47 PM
AkSarBen, 1978. On summer vacations from college I am going to the races every day with dreams of being a professional gambler. A high-school friend of mine comes to visit. He is not a horseplayer but wants to hang out with me at the track. In the first race I like the horse Jonna Dee, who is the second favorite and the lone speed. My friend likes Latin Wayfarer, the favorite. We argue. I bet $300 to win on Jonna Dee, my largest bet ever at that point, and $24 in the daily double. Nowadays I hedge but in those days I did not. Jonna Dee leads every step of the way but gets caught at the wire by Latin Wayfarer. My friend is very excited and starts waving a $2 place ticket on Latin Wayfarer in my face.

It's amazing how acute the pain can be isn't it?!!!If it was really embarrassing you know the who,what,when,where,and why.Down to the name,date,time.I think we got it.

deathandgravity
05-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Suffice to say… Nice P6 carry over @ the winter meet @ AQU about 6 years ago. Put together a ticket, but do to circumstances @ work… never got the ticket in. (work started @ 500am before most ADW opened) Cold-Decked it including a 40-1 shot. No P6 winner & carry over the next day. UGH! :mad:

What can you do? Turn the page & go on the next race.

judd
05-16-2011, 06:26 PM
many, many years ago when i used to frequent the meadows harness, cause it was closer than waterford park(now mountainer) i waiting till the last possible min to bet $200 to win on a harness horse, the teller made a mistake and punched in $2.00 (2 little dollars) when i looked at ticket i yelled no! $2 hundred
he got nervous and just then the bell sounded -betting closed --when the horse who went wire-to-wire i walked up to same teller and threw ticket at him and game me $9.40 --i said you cost me some decent money--here you can keep this 9 bucks !!!!!!! talk about being pissed not embarrased

point given
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Why do we remember the costly near missed scores more than the ones we make ? I can remember all the details of near misses of p6 nosed at the wire, but am foggy on details of made scores other than i won nice coin on that day:blush: :eek: :( :blush:

wisconsin
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I remember around 1998 or so at the Richmond, IL OTB, having 4 straight winners from Detroit to Delaware, betting all gimmicks, and not cashing a single ticket. The winners all paid

$7
$9
$6
$6

Nothing special, but I lost about $200 during that sequence. Doh! :bang:

maddog42
05-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Ky Derby day 1990 at Hollywood Park. Nice 2 day carryover in Pick 6 well over 1 million. A buddy and i have a ticket mapped out for just under $500. I'm the groom for a first time grass runner in the stake that day named Itsallgreektome. He's a single on our ticked at 30-1. I run over to the frontside to give my buddy my half and he tells me he invested a larger amount in another syndicated ticket, so he can't go in on mine. I still wanted to put that ticket in but i needed another single to cut the ticket back. You know what happens next, i took off the winner of a race that i was only 2 deep in. Nobody had 6 that day and i got a great conso 1 time for a couple grand. The syndicate ticket hit a few conso's but missed on Itsallgreektome. Thats a stinger for life!

Thanks Guys . After listening to you fellas I feel better already. Makes my loss seem puny after listening to some of these bad beats. 1 million!! Crap!!

plainolebill
05-16-2011, 11:51 PM
In Smarty Jones' Derby I bet a bunch of super combos, one of which was Lion Heart over Smarty over Limehouse/Imperialism. I didn't reverse LH & SJ.

Two lousy bucks cost me ~40k.

Fastracehorse
05-17-2011, 04:31 AM
In Smarty Jones' Derby I bet a bunch of super combos, one of which was Lion Heart over Smarty over Limehouse/Imperialism. I didn't reverse LH & SJ.

Two lousy bucks cost me ~40k.

....I bet u got alot of "why didn't you's"......

:(

fffastt

CincyHorseplayer
05-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Tom,ie super monkey,ie Pinball Wizard!!! Is going to bust my a$s over this but I left so much money on the table Saturday it wasn't funny.And it was all because of being "On track".I had abbreviated bets because of the late jog I had to do to get it in.Missed a Pletcher horse at 4-1 completely.I won allright,but the ROI could have been a whole lot healthier.I used CJ's numbers for the first time and came up 6-4-1-0.Odds of 5-1,7/2,4-1,9/2 with a 5-1 second.What should have been a banner day was smoked by technical difficulties.Embarrassing is the right word.Made a good haul,but definitely undercapitalized.

point given
05-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Tom,ie super monkey,ie Pinball Wizard!!! Is going to bust my a$s over this but I left so much money on the table Saturday it wasn't funny.And it was all because of being "On track".I had abbreviated bets because of the late jog I had to do to get it in.Missed a Pletcher horse at 4-1 completely.I won allright,but the ROI could have been a whole lot healthier.I used CJ's numbers for the first time and came up 6-4-1-0.Odds of 5-1,7/2,4-1,9/2 with a 5-1 second.What should have been a banner day was smoked by technical difficulties.Embarrassing is the right word.Made a good haul,but definitely undercapitalized.

Why not call it in to an adw instead ?

aggieshawn
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
many, many years ago when i used to frequent the meadows harness, cause it was closer than waterford park(now mountainer) i waiting till the last possible min to bet $200 to win on a harness horse, the teller made a mistake and punched in $2.00 (2 little dollars) when i looked at ticket i yelled no! $2 hundred
he got nervous and just then the bell sounded -betting closed --when the horse who went wire-to-wire i walked up to same teller and threw ticket at him and game me $9.40 --i said you cost me some decent money--here you can keep this 9 bucks !!!!!!! talk about being pissed not embarrased

This sounds so typical American. Rude and crude.
Thank God, I am a classy Canadian.
I can't explain how rude this story is on all accounts.
Nuff said.
Hopefully, you have grown up since then.

maddog42
05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Nuff said.

I admit this is rude, but it is understandable and forgivable. Only a slight over reaction.

thaskalos
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Most embarrassing loss? That's easy...

It was on a monday about 5 years ago.

I very seldom play on mondays, so I never buy that day's Racing Form in advance...like I do for the other days.

That particular monday, with my son in school, I found myself with nothing to do...so I decided to head for the local OTB, to talk to a few friends and also bet on a race or two.

I bought the Racing Form at the door...and - finding nobody there that I was friendly with - proceeded to jump right into the action at Philly Park and the Ohio tracks.

I had lost $300 by the time I discovered that the girl at the DRF counter had given me tuesday's Racing Form by mistake...

But there was a bright side...

When I brought this mistake to the girl's attention...she gladly gave me monday's Form free of charge.

maddog42
05-17-2011, 01:22 PM

I very seldom play on mondays, so I never buy that day's Racing Form in advance...like I do for the other days.

That particular monday, with my son in school, I found myself with nothing to do...so I decided to head for the local OTB, to talk to a few friends and also bet on a race or two.

I bought the Racing Form at the door...and - finding nobody there that I was friendly with - proceeded to jump right into the action at Philly Park and the Ohio tracks.

I had lost $300 by the time I discovered that the girl at the DRF counter had given me tuesday's Racing Form by mistake...

When I brought this mistake to the girl's attention...she gladly gave me monday's form free of charge.

That was the most expensive Form I ever heard of. It wasn't free. I bet I have handicapped and bet the wrong race about 4 or 5 times in the last 23 years. Oddly looking back , that doesn't bother me. It is those races where I have picked a big long shot and he wins or places and I don't make a dime that kill me.

maddog42
05-17-2011, 01:29 PM

But there was a bright side...

When I brought this mistake to the girl's attention...she gladly gave me monday's Form free of charge.

Where did you hide the Body?

thaskalos
05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Where did you hide the Body?
Who...ME?

There isn't a violent bone in my body...:)

Fastracehorse
05-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Who...ME?

There isn't a violent bone in my body...:)

..........as horse players, we've all experienced incredible highs and lows, lots of drama in this game.

The harder we play this game the more intense the experience; i don't know of anything in life that parallels it except real life traumas - getting dumped hurt pretty bad :mad:

Part of the game for a real student, IMO, is the growth of maturity. It's great if you can be respectful to your fellow players and p-mutuel tellers. And learn, that most mishaps could have been avoided by yourself by better preparation, ala, shut-out, mistake, etc, etc..

This game really is of CEO-type intellect.

fffastt

tubesockshakur
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Ky Derby day 1990 at Hollywood Park. Nice 2 day carryover in Pick 6 well over 1 million. A buddy and i have a ticket mapped out for just under $500. I'm the groom for a first time grass runner in the stake that day named Itsallgreektome. He's a single on our ticked at 30-1. I run over to the frontside to give my buddy my half and he tells me he invested a larger amount in another syndicated ticket, so he can't go in on mine. I still wanted to put that ticket in but i needed another single to cut the ticket back. You know what happens next, i took off the winner of a race that i was only 2 deep in. Nobody had 6 that day and i got a great conso 1 time for a couple grand. The syndicate ticket hit a few conso's but missed on Itsallgreektome. Thats a stinger for life!.....loved that horse, made me some $$ that day plus his tough beat in the B.C.

CincyHorseplayer
05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Why not call it in to an adw instead ?

PG this is going to have be a given.I thought exactly the same thing after the fact.No more.

captainhot
05-17-2011, 09:47 PM
About ten years ago, I was playing Beulah, in one of those 12-horse field six furlong 2500 claimer races non-winners of forever that they specialize in.
There was a 4-5 that I liked and a 2-1 that I hated, I also liked a 28-1 that was running third time off a layoff. I played the exacta, tri, and super keying the 4-5 and 28-1 with three other horses around 10-1, I needed the fave or my bomb to either run first or second. As the horses came home I was yelling madly for my 28-1, he got to the wire with a headbob with one of the 10-1's and the 4-5 headbobbing with another 10-1 for third. When the photos both came out, I was ecstatic the 28-1 was first (with an additional 10-10-10 on him) and yippee the 4-5 was fourth. I now had the exacta, tri, and super (these were the $1 only days). I yelled, I'm KING OF THE WORLD, and summoned the waitress for cocktails for my friends, when one of them noticed the four numbers blinking. Sure enough, my 28-1 gets DQ'ed to 4th! I have no 10-10-10, no exacta, no trifecta, and no superfecta. I went from THE PENTHOUSE to the OUTHOUSE, and I still had to buy drinks. I learned never to shout, KING OF THE WORLD, till it's official.

cnollfan
05-17-2011, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=Fastracehorse

Part of the game for a real student, IMO, is the growth of maturity. It's great if you can be respectful to your fellow players and p-mutuel tellers. And learn, that most mishaps could have been avoided by yourself by better preparation, ala, shut-out, mistake, etc, etc..

This game really is of CEO-type intellect.

fffastt[/QUOTE]

Well said. Also, a useful skill is the ability to dust off after a bad one and play the next one with a clear head, like a defensive back who got burned for a TD forgetting about that play. The best handicapper I know is devastated by close beats and tough trips and loses focus.

superfecta
05-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Early days of simocasting...found a longshot at Penn national.Keyed him in a tri(no super then).
Horse wins for fun,but I miss the tri.
Horse pays $212.00 TO WIN.
Never paid attention to tote odds,just the morning line in the program
You would think I would knoe better... :eek:

Fastracehorse
05-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Well said. Also, a useful skill is the ability to dust off after a bad one and play the next one with a clear head, like a defensive back who got burned for a TD forgetting about that play. The best handicapper I know is devastated by close beats and tough trips and loses focus.

......can you? :D

....i always tell myself if I play WELL; i will get the 'kind finishes'.....

...tough part is to always play WELL :bang:

fffastt

Dahoss2002
05-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Oaklawn Park 1986....exotic wagering was truly in its infancy. No superfecta or trifecta. I dont think exactas were offered in every race either. The Classix and Daily Double ruled. 25 -30 k weekend crowds were the norm back then and even more on big weekends. I'm live in the double, got about 300 or so if a certain horse wins. I'm standing outside over a tunnel where people walk in and out maybe 50 yds before the finish line. Turning for home and coming past me, my horse is holding a narrow lead and gets put away and beat at least 2 lengths no interference. I cast my tickets into the air and they float down amongst the people walking through the tunnel onto the trackside apron. Then I see the winners number start to blink. Nuthin to do with my horse but a stewards inquiry from the start of the race involving the winner.
I race down and start scouring the ground for my 2 tickets. Digging and digging, I finally find both but the result is allowed to stand. Never throw your tickets away .........lol.........until the results are official....and I knew better LMAO!!

KingChas
05-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Every time that I wheel 4 horses in the Tri and all 4 run that way.

After seeing the super payoff compared to my tri payoff.

Money left on the table forever.................. :blush:

Grits
05-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Nuff said.

Indeed, this probably wasn't one of Judd's finer moments, but too, neither is your judgemental remark followed by your unfortunate statement, touting yourself classy. There's an old adage that's been around a long time; one doesn't need to explain how useful it is. Nuff said and all.

If you have it, I'll know it; you won't have to tell me."

Hard2Like
05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Pick-4 Captain Obvious throwouts that leave my ticket w/3 of 4 ;
*Any horse on the front of the racing form.
*Bribon-6F G1 win kicks off monster p4 w/ Dross on Belmont Day - I swore he was a miler.
*most recently,Derby Day race 12 -Tampa guy misses the Tam horse
and his name?-Good Lord.
*And last years Preakness Day,dead in all multi-race donations,$20 exacta save the dayers,LAL over 7 others but no First Dude

Grits
05-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Hard2Like wrote: multi race donations

This one's a gem. This one's absolutely priceless. Hard2Like, you really HAVE made me laugh. And I thank you. Please, let the poker players of the world know it ain't an easy game to conquer, as we all do our share of donating.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maddog42
05-18-2011, 02:34 PM
This one's a gem. This one's absolutely priceless. Hard2Like, you really HAVE made me laugh. And I thank you. Please, let the poker players of the world know it ain't an easy game to conquer, as we all do our share of donating.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess that is a good way of looking at it . Donating to our favorite charity. Keeping Horseracing alive and healthy.

cnollfan
05-18-2011, 05:36 PM
......can you? :D

....i always tell myself if I play WELL; i will get the 'kind finishes'.....

...tough part is to always play WELL :bang:

fffastt

I bet on a whole lot of losers, so I have gotten pretty good at dusting myself off after a loss.

castaway01
05-18-2011, 08:42 PM
The stupidest thing I can remember doing in my "formative years" was a $1 Pick 3 at Penn National (granted that's stupid right off the bat) where I bet 4 horses in the first leg, keyed a horse in the second leg, and then bet 10 of the 12 horses in the 3rd leg. I hit the first two legs, then one of the two I left out in the 3rd leg won at 25-1 or so. There was only one winner (not hard to discern seeing pool size and figuring takeout), so if I'd included the winner in the last leg I'd have split the pool with that person. Granted the pools were tiny then and the payoff was $3000 or so for a buck, but I always thought of it as "I saved 8 dollars (by not betting 'all') to lose $1500".

Elliott Sidewater
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
The date was July 21, 1991, the place was Baltimore. At the time I was a teaching member in PIRCO, and pretty proud of it. This was the infamous Baltimore seminar, the one with the false fire alarm in the middle of the night. We were going to the track on Sunday via charter bus, and the teaching and charter members were given races to handicap for a Sunday morning group session before we left the hotel. I happened to draw the second race, a 25000 claimer for 3 YOs on the turf. There was no turf form to speak of in the race, but when I got to the 5 horse, Wild Cataract, I got excited. I knew that the Silver Hawk's were 30 for 125 on the turf in 1990, as I had the 1990 Blood Horse Statistical Summary almost committed to memory from looking at it so many times.

When it was my turn to speak, I made quite a show of tossing the computer printouts in the air and saying forget the Methodology, THIS IS THE HORSE. Howard Sartin was not pleased. Here's the twist - the horse wins and pays $22.00 and I DON'T HAVE IT.

Here's what happened:When we got to the track I looked at the DD possibilities and really liked what I saw, so I decided to bet doubles with 4 horses in the first race and Wild Cataract in the second. The second choice wins the first race and I'm alive with a $10 double that's paying $110 for $2. Since I'm alive for a good chunk of change and don't like anything else in the race, I decide to sit on my position. The horse wins by a length and a half and the group is looking at me with Elvis like admiration. I was having my Warhol moment. I go to cash my ticket and the cashier tells me it's a losing ticket - WTF?? The teller had punched first race exacta tickets instead of daily doubles -so every ticket in my pocket is an exacta ticket. I had never looked at my tickets until then.

Needless to say, I proceeded to blow up and had a horrible day, punctuated by the clientele stopping over at my table all afternoon to tell me how my longshot pick made their day and paid their expenses for the seminar and hotel. I had no transportation back to the hotel, so I was stuck there for a seemingly endless 12 race card, losing two photos, fighting off a migraine headache and the urge to commit suicide. :bang:

It's a close call to say what was worse, being present at the 1990 Breeders Cup (Go For Wand), Barbaro's Preakness, or this. Definitely one of the worst days of my life.

judd
05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Nuff said.
what makes you so classy ?

cnollfan
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
The stupidest thing I can remember doing in my "formative years" was a $1 Pick 3 at Penn National (granted that's stupid right off the bat) where I bet 4 horses in the first leg, keyed a horse in the second leg, and then bet 10 of the 12 horses in the 3rd leg. I hit the first two legs, then one of the two I left out in the 3rd leg won at 25-1 or so. There was only one winner (not hard to discern seeing pool size and figuring takeout), so if I'd included the winner in the last leg I'd have split the pool with that person. Granted the pools were tiny then and the payoff was $3000 or so for a buck, but I always thought of it as "I saved 8 dollars (by not betting 'all') to lose $1500".

I have a rule that I almost never break -- in multi-race exotics, I am not allowed to use more than half the field without using all.

I will make an exception if there is a horse that I believe absolutely can't win, e.g. that maiden Mohamed ran in the Kentucky Derby against Spectacular Bid. But it has to be about that clear-cut.

soupman2
05-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Early in the Churchill spring meet about 10-12 years ago, there was a 2yo Maiden SW- mostly 1st time starters. I liked 3 horses, all first time starters let's say the 1 the 2 and the 3. I liked the 1 over the 23 and played that in the exacta and trifecta. They were all over 20-1. Came in 2-3-1. The tri payed over $24k. I showed the guy sitting next to me my $1 tri key ticket with the correct numbers. He said, "Well,at least you saved $4 bucks!" Didn't win a penny but picked 3 bombs. Sigh......