PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Downs Trying To Attract More Fans

trying2win
05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
I noticed in the Edmonton Sun newspaper over the last few days, that they had the past performances printed out for Alberta Downs on races 3 through 10 for the weekend harness cards. What a concept!

Looks like the track management is attempting to boost their parimtuel handle by doing things like in the above paragraph. They have a long way to go yet in the parimutuel handle, but at least I give them credit for these kind of promotions. Not only that, but they offer free live video on their website at www.albertadowns.com (http://www.albertadowns.com) (it's the link below the MAIN MENU title on the left hand side of the home page) that reads 'LIVE RACING CHANNEL'.

It seemed kind of strange to me that the owner would build the one mile duel-purpose oval, for thoroughbred racing (with inner turf course) and harness racing at various times of the year, by Lacombe, Alberta. That's quite a distance from the two largest cities in Alberta, i.e. Edmonton and Calgary. You'd think the owner would have built the track in Calgary. Probably land costs had a lot to do with that decision to build it by Lacombe instead.

Since Alberta Downs is far away from Edmonton and Calgary, it looks like this track is going to depend on Canadian and American OTB's and ADWS for a lot of their parimutuel handle.

T2W

sonnyp
05-15-2011, 05:52 PM
I noticed in the Edmonton Sun newspaper over the last few days, that they had the past performances printed out for the Alberta Downs on races 3 through 10 for the weekend harness cards. What a concept!

Looks like the track management is attempting to boost their parimtuel handle by doing things like in the above paragraph. They have a long way to go yet in the parimutuel handle, but at least I give them credit for these kind of promotions. Not only that, but they offer free live video on their website at www.albertadowns.com (http://www.albertadowns.com) (it's the link below the MAIN MENU title on the left hand side of the home page) that reads 'LIVE RACING CHANNEL'.

It seemed kind of strange to me that the owner would build the one mile duel-purpose oval, for thoroughbred racing (with inner turf course) and harness racing at various times of the year, by Lacombe, Alberta. That's quite a distance from the two largest cities in Alberta, i.e. Edmonton and Calgary. You'd think the owner would have built the track in Calgary. Probably land costs had a lot to do with that decision to build it by Lacombe instead.

Since Alberta Downs is far away from Edmonton and Calgary, it looks like this track is going to depend on Canadian and American OTB's and ADWS for a lot of their parimutuel handle.

T2W

they're going in the right direction, unlike the insanity of monmouth's raising parking and admission fees.

Sinner369
05-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I am a proud Canadian and Edmontonian, but to list the past performances in the Sun in that manner is sheer Stupidity.........have you seen the size of the prints; it's so small you need a magnifying glass to see it. As most people know, the majority of the betting public is over 30, 40, 50 and their eyes are not that sharp.

Waste of money......they are better off having a program availiable in HPI.

Or better yet, why do you not make peace with Stampede Park and go back to Calgary........both Thoroughbreds and Harness.

The Calgary Herald recently had an article where the Revenue for Stampede Park had dropped dramatically (read in Standardbred Canada website).

Make Peace........and win, win for both sides..............

Sinner