PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich was for individual mandate

jognlope
05-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Stumbling over his words on Meet the Press. David Gregory smartly showed the video of Gingrich on Meet the Press back in 1993. Then in an op-ed piece, he wrote: "Personal responsibility extends to the purchase of health insurance. Citizens should not be able to cheat their neighbors by not buying insurance, particularly when they can afford it, and expect others to pay for their care when they need it." An "individual mandate," he added, should be applied "when the larger health-care system has been fundamentally changed."

Oh but it's different than Obama's. :lol:

HUSKER55
05-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I still say get rid of all of them.

Tom
05-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Newt is not too bright. Obviously.

ArlJim78
05-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Imagine if they went after Obama like they do Republicans. There is a treasure trove of lies and obfuscations of his that they could hit him with. But alas when he is in their studios they are so thrilled that they roll over and become stenographers or groupies.

as far as Gingrich is concerned, its stuff like this that makes him appear untrustworthy to many conservatives.

Rookies
05-15-2011, 03:57 PM
as far as Gingrich is concerned, its stuff like this that makes him appear untrustworthy to many conservatives.

What makes him untrustworthy Jim ( or any pol for that matter on any side) is that they advance the case that they are superior to all the rest of of us, that their positions are rooted in a superior moral philosophy ( in this case conservative) and that they adhere to that philosophy.

Except, of course- THEY AREN'T !

And so, when the time comes, it's all schadenfreude for the media...giving the theoretical high & mighty their right come uppance.

They are outed as damnable hypocrites interested only in themselves...

bigmack
05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
And so, when the time comes, it's all schadenfreude for the media...giving the theoretical high & mighty their right come uppance.
I missed the 'media schadenfreude' on the queen of arrogance; N.Pelosi.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Stumbling over his words on Meet the Press. David Gregory smartly showed the video of Gingrich on Meet the Press back in 1993. Then in an op-ed piece, he wrote: "Personal responsibility extends to the purchase of health insurance. Citizens should not be able to cheat their neighbors by not buying insurance, particularly when they can afford it, and expect others to pay for their care when they need it." An "individual mandate," he added, should be applied "when the larger health-care system has been fundamentally changed."

Oh but it's different than Obama's. :lol:Way back when, Obama was a pothead and a coke fiend. Yet, you and others still voted for him.

I guess what you were saying with your vote was, don't always hold someone accountable for past actions.

GameTheory
05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Way back when, Obama was a pothead and a coke fiend. Yet, you and others still voted for him.

I guess what you were saying with your vote was, don't always hold someone accountable for past actions.
Would you even want to vote for anyone that hasn't gotten any smarter in the last 20 years?

Tom
05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Would you want to vote anyone either party thought was a good candidate? ANYONE that get the nomination is already bought and paid
for.

Real people do not get that far in politics. Only the crooks.

is that they advance the case that they are superior to all the rest of of us,

Us? You is one of them, not one of us.

Rookies
05-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Us? You is one of them, not one of us.

Uhhh... to assist you Tommy, that was a generic ad hominem, typical of what you've just stated: " All politicians are crooks- de facto".

This should be intended to mean on those once in a lifetime "moon to green cheese" days, would I ever wish to be in agreement with you.

Got it ?

Tom
05-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Nope.

highnote
05-15-2011, 09:25 PM
From what I have read, it seems to me that all Gingrich is saying is that every person has a responsibility to provide his own insurance and if you are not responsible enough to provide it then you will be required to buy it on a sliding scale.

Not sure of the details of his plan.

The problem with the current system is that if you don't have it and you go into the hospital and run up a big bill it is everyone else who ends up paying for it through higher premiums. So that's not a good system for all of us who buy our own insurance and it's not good for corporations who pay high premiums because of the uninsured. The capital corporations spend on high premiums could be put to better use.

Robert Goren
05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Way back when, Obama was a pothead and a coke fiend. Yet, you and others still voted for him.

I guess what you were saying with your vote was, don't always hold someone accountable for past actions.Not for pot smoking. I don't know a single person was at least old enough to be in high school in the 60s and 70s that didn't try pot once. Even the YAFers I knew in college smoked pot.

highnote
05-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Not for pot smoking. I don't know a single person was at least old enough to be in high school in the 60s and 70s that didn't try pot once. Even the YAFers I knew in college smoked pot.

Everybody, and I mean everybody in my high school tried pot. If they didn't inhale, they puffed it at the very least.

bigmack
05-15-2011, 11:55 PM
In his questioning, David Gregory is about as journalistically honest as Chrissie MattHews.

jognlope remains acutely aware of any politicians view of healthcare, waiting with bated breath some sort of freebie rolling out at some point.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Everybody, and I mean everybody in my high school tried pot. If they didn't inhale, they puffed it at the very least.I'm 42-years-old, and I never smoked a thing in high school. Neither did any of the people I hung out with.

highnote
05-16-2011, 03:32 AM
I'm 42-years-old, and I never smoked a thing in high school. Neither did any of the people I hung out with.

Interesting how things change in only 10 years.

PhantomOnTour
05-16-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm 42-years-old, and I never smoked a thing in high school. Neither did any of the people I hung out with.
Lemme get this straight...are you saying that if I show up at the Spa for the get together this summer that there's no way in hell I'm scoring any grass off of you?
Dammit man! :D

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Interesting how things change in only 10 years.Yeah, but I hung out with a decidedly nerdy crowd. That might have been a significant contributing factor... :lol:

highnote
05-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Yeah, but I hung out with a decidedly nerdy crowd. That might have been a significant contributing factor... :lol:

You were smart and started young! I didn't learn that hanging out with nerds was cool until I was much older. :ThmbUp:

Tom
05-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Lemme get this straight...are you saying that if I show up at the Spa for the get together this summer that there's no way in hell I'm scoring any grass off of you?
Dammit man! :D

Hay, oats, or water. All you want.

Robert Goren
05-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but I hung out with a decidedly nerdy crowd. That might have been a significant contributing factor... :lol:I was so nerdy in high school that even the nerds would have nothing to do with me.:lol:

ArlJim78
05-16-2011, 02:19 PM
as a chart caller this is how I foresee Newt's run will go this time.

"stumbled badly out of the gate, rank early, veered hard to the left, pulled up"

Rookies
05-16-2011, 03:13 PM
I missed the 'media schadenfreude' on the queen of arrogance; N.Pelosi.

Good point, although her 'arrogance' does not equate to hypocrisy. Personally, I didn't know much about Pelosi prior to her term as a Speaker. I did find her frequently annoying with that tone of privileged position of power. Hate that in all pols- "the exercise of the divine right of politicians".:mad:

More on point, Edwards is the perfect compliment to Newt here. He got what he deserved from the media in very similar circumstances when finally outed. And yes, the pertinent, scummy details were hidden for a while, same as Gingrich.:ThmbDown:

jognlope
05-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Bigmack remains hyperbolic and mean-spirited, cannot argue intelligently, so shoots darts!!! Take time to think for a change. And Bigmack, do you plan on using Medicare or paying the witch doctor?

newtothegame
05-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Bigmack remains hyperbolic and mean-spirited, cannot argue intelligently, so shoots darts!!! Take time to think for a change. And Bigmack, do you plan on using Medicare or paying the witch doctor?
Are there no other options besides Medicare, or witch doctor? hell I might be thinking the latter lol.

newtothegame
05-17-2011, 12:10 AM
And from the interview I saw...I took away (as another member here did ), that Newt is for a sliding scale depending on your wages and income.
I have not seen the entirety of his plan, so I will reserve judgement till then.
But, I believe SOMETHING has to be done as there are too many people who just walk away from their bills. A person can walk away but someway, somehow, someone pays for it.

JustRalph
05-17-2011, 12:13 AM

"stumbled badly out of the gate, rank early, veered hard to the left, pulled up"

Dead on. Two good takes on the subject.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/05/16/krauthammer-on-gingrich-this-is-a-capital-offense-against-the-11th-commandment/

He tried to play both sides of the fence for a few minutes, and ended up catching his crotch on the fence post

He would have never received my vote due to character issues.....but I didn't expect him to go supernova in the first week :lol:

bigmack
05-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Good point, although her 'arrogance' does not equate to hypocrisy.
Behold, a big steaming pile of hypocrisy.

Nancy looked the American people in the eye and lied her ever lovin', back-stretched face off about 500,000 jobs IMMEDIATELY!

Not a word from mosty & hcap. Can you say hypocrites?

And now this...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/555887.png

lsbets
05-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Waiting to see you post that you wore a purity ring and saved yourself for marriage. :eek: Not knocking anyone who did that, but I would say it was less than 5% of those where I went to high school.

Sugar Ron
05-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Lol

Heard him throw Eddie Munster under the bus again on the High-Pitch Hannity Comedy Show on the Cayman's fine audio system yesterday.

Hannity seemed almost speechless during parts of the interview ... LOL.

This poor party is in such utter disarray right now that I almost feel sorry for them.

Should be quite entertaining, though, watching them cannibalize each other in the coming months

Imagine those pesky, radical 'baggers will try to flex their (puny) muscles again at some point in the process

At any rate, you'd see some new blood in there like, say, a Christie or that schoolboy they made senator in Florida if they thought they had a decent shot against the BO MACHINE.

johnhannibalsmith
05-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Sugar Ron is to Democrats what Donald Trump is to Republicans.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Waiting to see you post that you wore a purity ring and saved yourself for marriage. :eek: Not knocking anyone who did that, but I would say it was less than 5% of those where I went to high school.I never said anything about after high school. I was a late bloomer... :lol: