PDA

View Full Version : motor scooters

lamboguy
05-15-2011, 10:22 AM
i just bought a motor scooter friday. i never drove a motorcycle in my life, and this thing was as easy as riding a regular bike. the brand name i bought is a BUDDY. i paid $2000 for it, the scooter gets 110 miles to the gallon and goes up to 40 mph. there is an adjustment that you can make to get it to go 50 mph.

the thing is great for me because i hardly ever go more than 10 miles from my house. if it rains i will drive my car. but it looks like this scooter is good for the next 5 months for me. in massachusetts you don't even have to register this thing because it doesn't go fast enough.

Rookies
05-15-2011, 10:30 AM
MANY people are thinking this way or motorcycles or bicycles, if they need short commutes while the oil company oligarchy holds the rest of us to ransom daily.

I know I am.

Please let us know the pros & cons.

Wouldn't gete me to the Spa:lol: ... but... I might try 16 miles through the city.

Robert Goren
05-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Be careful. I have known 6 people killed on motorcycles. It is real easy to be "dead right" on one of those things. Good Luck

Greyfox
05-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Robert is right.
Your scooter may be easy to ride....but....
People on bikes (motorcycles or scooters) aren't called P.O.D's for nothing.
That's short for "Potential Organ Donors."
I heard a guy on the radio say that people who take courses to drive them are one quarter as likely to be injured as those who don't. Consider taking a safety course. Some motorists don't care whether or not you exist.

CryingForTheHorses
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
i just bought a motor scooter friday. i never drove a motorcycle in my life, and this thing was as easy as riding a regular bike. the brand name i bought is a BUDDY. i paid $2000 for it, the scooter gets 110 miles to the gallon and goes up to 40 mph. there is an adjustment that you can make to get it to go 50 mph.

the thing is great for me because i hardly ever go more than 10 miles from my house. if it rains i will drive my car. but it looks like this scooter is good for the next 5 months for me. in massachusetts you don't even have to register this thing because it doesn't go fast enough.

Yes Lambo,Please take a course.Wear a helmet and never take your eyes off the road.These bikes are a lot different then driving a car.I have rode for years and own a bike I ride everyday.Sure the Harley guys will snicker and the jap bikes will pass you but have fun.Maybe in a few months you will decide to buy a Harley.

lamboguy
05-15-2011, 11:24 AM
i bought a helmet that cost $100 and a lock that went for $129.

one bad thing was when i went to lock the scooter with the rear wheel i kept touching th exhaust and it was hot

where i live they have a special lane for bikes and scooters. i only go down those roads for what i have to do everyday. but if if i had further distances to go i would not go in my scooter. i won't go 30 miles for the whole week.

Tape Reader
05-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Congratulations lamboguy on your purchase of a motor scooter. Have a great time! Be sure to smile and wave to other riders, no matter how big their bikes are. The fun is contagious.

Hanover1
05-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I used to drive a Vespa when in Italy. To much fun to describe. And could ROLL.....The problem here in FLA, and probably elsewhere, is the lack of defensive driving while on 2 wheels. Motorists here, especially those in my age bracket and above, simply don't see many of these quick moves the kids make on the bikes, and it gets them killed. It is not uncommon here to see kids do wheelies leaving red lights on major roads as well. Not hard to roll into a blind spot of an otherwise attending driver either. Learning what constitutes defensive driving is the key. Rain/oil is another factor as well, and knowing what gear to use.

TJDave
05-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I used to drive a Vespa when in Italy. To much fun to describe. And could ROLL.....The problem here in FLA, and probably elsewhere, is the lack of defensive driving while on 2 wheels. Motorists here, especially those in my age bracket and above, simply don't see many of these quick moves the kids make on the bikes, and it gets them killed. It is not uncommon here to see kids do wheelies leaving red lights on major roads as well. Not hard to roll into a blind spot of an otherwise attending driver either. Learning what constitutes defensive driving is the key. Rain/oil is another factor as well, and knowing what gear to use.

Defensive driving doesn't get it done. The key is to make yourself visible. Been riding all my adult life, safe rider, spotless record yet have been run into, twice. Drivers don't see bikes. They're invisible.

JustRalph
05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Defensive driving doesn't get it done. The key is to make yourself visible. Been riding all my adult life, safe rider, spotless record yet have been run into, twice. Drivers don't see bikes. They're invisible.

In a month go get a Honda Goldwing when you feel ready to upgrade

Be careful

Rookies
05-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I see the scooter types in Toronto a little more frequently now. Not being motorcycles, they appear to travel slowly and carefully in the far inside lane- often a designated bikepath lane.

So, appear to be using caution.

Grits
05-15-2011, 02:51 PM

This is right! "The former spouse" road bikes for years. Street and dirt. Lambo, its not those on the bikes or the scooters that cause the accidents, and ultimately, the deaths. The problems lie with the motorists that do not see them, as they are busy yakkiing on their cell phones, and diddling with any other gadget they have on or near their dashboard.

Whatever you do, be careful. The designated lane is fine, but the intersections, the crossings are far more dangerous.

Marshall Bennett
05-15-2011, 02:55 PM
By the time he's through reading his thread he'll sell it. :D

Hanover1
05-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Making yourself visible is defensive driving ;) .

trackrat59
05-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes Lambo please consider taking a motorcycle safety course.

I got into riding cruisers about ten years ago. I took the motorcycle safety course and I’m thankful I did.

The course is not so much about teaching you how to ride. It’s ALL about teaching you how to stay safe on the roads. I learned a lot from that course. People who take the course also say that they feel as though they have become better drivers. I felt that way too.

It's true that if you take the course you greatly lower your chances of becoming a statistic. Also if you take the course and never drink or do drugs while riding you lower your chances of becoming a statistic even greater. Common sense yes but wanted to point that out too.

Stay safe.

lamboguy
05-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Yes Lambo please consider taking a motorcycle safety course.

I got into riding cruisers about ten years ago. I took the motorcycle safety course and I’m thankful I did.

The course is not so much about teaching you how to ride. It’s ALL about teaching you how to stay safe on the roads. I learned a lot from that course. People who take the course also say that they feel as though they have become better drivers. I felt that way too.

It's true that if you take the course you greatly lower your chances of becoming a statistic. Also if you take the course and never drink or do drugs while riding you lower your chances of becoming a statistic even greater. Common sense yes but wanted to point that out too.

Stay safe.i am going to do just that.

my scooter is bright orange. i won't drive at night. and i am only going to drive down this one street with a the bike lane. i have no time to stay in bed, i have to bet on horses every day!

TJDave
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Check and see if your state allows headlamp modulation (strobes). If so, get 'em. They work. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
05-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Check and see if your state allows headlamp modulation (strobes). If so, get 'em. They work. :ThmbUp:

Great tip Dave. I had it on my last bike. Works great. :ThmbUp:

This the low level version:

-H3h21o9LUo

and the high power version

6y7XIXvDL2s

HUSKER55
05-16-2011, 04:28 AM
I never thought of headlight modulators for bikes. That makes a lot of sense.

probably illegal. ya know how government works. :D

thanks for the info

SchagFactorToWin
05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I never thought of headlight modulators for bikes. That makes a lot of sense.

probably illegal. ya know how government works. :D

thanks for the info

I went to the website. They have US code listed that states it's legal in all 50 states if it complies with certain tech specs. Def something I would get if/when I ride again.

Valuist
05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
The weather has been so lousy that its mid May and I still haven't taken my bike out. Spring sucks.

Tape Reader
05-16-2011, 07:17 PM
lamboguy, statistically, most MC accidents are caused by someone turning left in front of you. What I do is wiggle my headlight when I see a driver about to make a left turn in front of me. It pisses off some; so what, you got their attention.

Believe what you are hearing: you are invisible to most drivers. In the Motor Cycle Safety Course they quote a statistic about people walking in front of trains, because the one headlight, is "odd" to them.

bigmack
05-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Be a nerd and get a Segway. Better yet, get a Zappy. They're only $600, go 25 miles on a single charge, up to 12 MPH and cost pennies to charge.

I'm gonna get a fleet of 'em to rent in beach communities.

Oxt6c-d76CY

HUSKER55
05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
those look like fun. unfortunately, my body says "no-way jose" :D

Rookies
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
those look like fun. unfortunately, my body says "no-way jose" :D

:lol: :D :ThmbUp:

kingfin66
05-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Have fun with your scooter. They are a great mode of transportation when the weather is nice. I started riding with a small scoot like you have and then switched to a motorcycle. I loved the bike, but have one bad knee and one worse knee, so I wanted something a little lighter and easier to get on and off. I ended up with a "maxi" scoot - Burgman 400.

One thing I have learned about two wheels is that for many, it is a lifestyle as much as it is a mode of transportation. Who knows, you may get swept up in it too.

It's nice to see that everybody is concerned about safety. Those concerns are well founded. Ride within your abilities even if the riding comes easily. You are a beginner. Of course, never forget: AGATT! (all gear all the time).