PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Floods

GaryG
05-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Cajun Country is being sacrificed in order to protect Baton Rouge and NOLA. That was a tough decision to make as many family farmers could be wiped out. I wonder about the Tabasco plant.

Phantom On Tour...are you doing OK?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/13/cajun-country-braces-floodwaters-river/?test=latestnews

Tom
05-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Gotta be a gut-wrenching decision to have to make.
Hope things get better soon down there.

PhantomOnTour
05-14-2011, 02:40 PM
High and dry in Lafayette, but just 15mins east of us they have trouble.
Basically, the Atchafalaya Basin (biggest swamp in the USA) is all points between and south of Baton Rouge and Lafayette. When they open the Morganza Spillway (today i think) all fishing camps, boat launches and even many homes on the water will be flooded. It's a huge area that extends to the Gulf of Mexico.
Morgan City is the biggest metro area that will be affected. It is about half way between Lafayette and New Orleans on the gulf coast. Basically due south of Baton Rouge.

Thanks for your concern Gary...hope Lasix, Dylbert, and Newtothegame are doing okay as well. Believe all three also live in Louisiana.

RaceBookJoe
05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Prayers to all affected down that way...tough decision to make. rbj

PhantomOnTour
05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Morganza Spillway is open.
It is north west of Baton Rouge...est. 3,000 sq miles will potentially flood. About 24hrs until high waters reach the area around I-10.

Miss River is moving so rapidly thru Baton Rouge that several barges have crashed into the old bridge that spans the river in north Baton Rouge.

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 05:06 PM
had a basement apartment in melrose park, ill. one time. we got in the way of the desplains river overflowing. water gushing out of the toilet like a geyser, everything i owned floating around.

horrible, can't get away from it.

hope everybody down there is o k.

newtothegame
05-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah...appreciate everyones concern. I live literally in site of the Mississippi River levee (about ten miles southeast of New Orleans). We are in no real danger because of the decisions to flood the Atchafalaya Basin.
I truly feel for those that will be flooded to save the larger populated areas. Its a decision that I am glad I dont have to make.

HUSKER55
05-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, I am curious. It runs in my mind that in areas of flood potential there were supposed to be "conservation programs" to stop this type of flooding.

Are they in place and do they work, have they ever worked?

just curious.

good luck. I feel for those that are getting hit.

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, I am curious. It runs in my mind that in areas of flood potential there were supposed to be "conservation programs" to stop this type of flooding.

Are they in place and do they work, have they ever worked?

just curious.

good luck. I feel for those that are getting hit.

when i raced the meadowlands, i was associated with a group that owned an 800 acre breeding farm in central new jersey. it was a breeding farm because in new jersey, if land has flooded in, i believe, the last 100 years, no permanent residential structures can be built.

the property was between freeold and heigtstown, right in centrall new jersey.