PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby winner receives round-the-clock protection

andymays
05-14-2011, 10:19 AM
The horse that won last week's Kentucky Derby is receiving round-the-clock protection amid a backlash against its controversial owner over allegations he made about the racing industry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8512758/Kentucky-Derby-winner-receives-round-the-clock-protection.html

Excerpt:

Mr Irwin yesterday told The Daily Telegraph that he had hired a bouncer to provide extra protection at the Fair Hill home of the prize colt, the son of a Brazilian stallion and a German mare.

"It's an additional presence to take care of the hours between day security and nightwatchman," Mr Irwin said. "He's an ex-military man and I'm confident he can keep an eye on things.

"I'm just trying to be cautious because my trainer and I have been very vocal about medication use. We are prime targets if anyone is minded to do something.

"At the barn it's out in the open, it's not like being at the racetrack," he said. "It behoves us to do something about it."

Mr Irwin declined to discuss whether any specific threats had been made against him or Animal Kingdom. "People hear the horse is here, and they come and take a look," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8512758/Kentucky-Derby-winner-receives-round-the-clock-protection.html

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 10:48 AM
The horse that won last week's Kentucky Derby is receiving round-the-clock protection amid a backlash against its controversial owner over allegations he made about the racing industry.

Excerpt:

Mr Irwin yesterday told The Daily Telegraph that he had hired a bouncer to provide extra protection at the Fair Hill home of the prize colt, the son of a Brazilian stallion and a German mare.

"It's an additional presence to take care of the hours between day security and nightwatchman," Mr Irwin said. "He's an ex-military man and I'm confident he can keep an eye on things.

"I'm just trying to be cautious because my trainer and I have been very vocal about medication use. We are prime targets if anyone is minded to do something.

"At the barn it's out in the open, it's not like being at the racetrack," he said. "It behoves us to do something about it."

Mr Irwin declined to discuss whether any specific threats had been made against him or Animal Kingdom. "People hear the horse is here, and they come and take a look," he said.

these guys, owners and trainers, are coming accross as a bunch of jerks. beneath the facade most of these guys are insecure, jealous and classless individuals who, when caught in the spotlight, show themselves to be exactly what they are.

not pretty

turfnsport
05-14-2011, 11:06 AM
these guys, owners and trainers, are coming accross as a bunch of jerks. beneath the facade most of these guys are insecure, jealous and classless individuals who, when caught in the spotlight, show themselves to be exactly what they are.

not pretty

How exactly is Graham Motion coming across as a jerk?

The guy is one of the classiest and most honest guys I have ever met in the horse business.

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 11:09 AM
How exactly is Graham Motion coming across as a jerk?

The guy is one of the classiest and most honest guys I have ever met in the horse business.

i was refering to irwin, repole, pletcher, baffert, dutrow etc.

i don't know motion and i said "most".

Hanover1
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM

not pretty

I can't really read anything into this post at all actually. Andy is just reporting on a situation that has been around for decades, as Andy does at times.
I recall several horses that had same protection round the clock, and when asked why (as if any question was actually needed....) the response was on par with this one.
Really Sonny, is it unusual to have 24-7 on certain horses? While not always made public, it IS common occurance. Much ado about little?

FenceBored
05-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I can't really read anything into this post at all actually. Andy is just reporting on a situation that has been around for decades, as Andy does at times.
I recall several horses that had same protection round the clock, and when asked why (as if any question was actually needed....) the response was on par with this one.
Really Sonny, is it unusual to have 24-7 on certain horses? While not always made public, it IS common occurance. Much ado about little?

Or, Joe Drape might do an article on the bodyguard.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEEDA143DF930A25750C0A9669D8B 63

On Spec
05-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Jim Squires hung half his book, Headless Horsemen, on an allegation that his horse was surreptitiously drugged because Squires was an outspoken critic of medication abuse. His trainer (with zero previous drug infractions, if I recall correctly) was disciplined and fined.

Headless Horsemen is a good read. Any owner who reads that book and DOESN'T provide 24/7 security for a major stakes winner is REALLY gambling.

nijinski
05-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree with Hanover , the value of these horses also warrants the security
and it's been going on for a long time.
Aga Khan probably has the state of the art protection and who could blame
him after Shergar's disappearance.

Mineshaft
05-14-2011, 03:41 PM
no problem with the security at all, it happens everywhere and they have to protect there assests

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree with Hanover , the value of these horses also warrants the security
and it's been going on for a long time.
Aga Khan probably has the state of the art protection and who could blame
him after Shergar's disappearance.

i don't question the security deal, i was thinking more about their behavior in general ie. irwin and what is outlined in the other thread about repole and baffert etc. you can throw zayat and a few others into the concersation. maybe this post s/b in that thread.

i once sat at an auction in harrisburg, pa. and ad to ask myself, outside the racetrack, if i would want to be around these types ? the answer was no.

nijinski
05-14-2011, 04:05 PM
i don't question the security deal, i was thinking more about their behavior in general ie. irwin and what is outlined in the other thread about repole and baffert etc. you can throw zayat and a few others into the concersation. maybe this post s/b in that thread.

i once sat at an auction in harrisburg, pa. and ad to ask myself, outside the racetrack, if i would want to be around these types ? the answer was no.
There are some in this game who are just more verbal . part of the climate
of big $$ , competition and the fragile horse in the center of it all . I understand what you are saying and the the derby speech I personally think
was inappropriate for that particular event.
Baffert and Repole , I think that kind of rivalry has happened before. the climate I mentioned above sometimes makes grown men act like little boys.
I also think Repole is somewhat sensitized right now , with the circumstances
surrounding Mo I can't take everything he says too seriously .
He comes off as a nice guy who is pretty high strung and is tremendously
worried about Mo , but at the same time all those highs have come down
and it has to be frustrating. Baffert seems to love to ignte , but you still have to love him and the press does!
At least they're keeping the press busy .

Broad Brush
05-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Irwin??? I think he is the biggest moron I have ever seen to win the Derby.

Racing has so few moments in the spotlight. What does this pinhead do on
its biggest moment?? Talk garbage and give yet more reasons for people to not
care about this game or get into it. Considering that this A$$ runs a syndicate
for people to become horse owners it is really STUPID of him to use this moment of the best success to trash the game and give people the view that
all owners are fooled???

Animal Kingdom is a nice horse and I hope for the best for him.

As for Irwin, I hope his horse runs last at Pimlico.

Maybe he can then fire Motion on the air...

Mineshaft
05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Irwin??? I think he is the biggest moron I have ever seen to win the Derby.

Racing has so few moments in the spotlight. What does this pinhead do on
its biggest moment?? Talk garbage and give yet more reasons for people to not
care about this game or get into it. Considering that this A$$ runs a syndicate
for people to become horse owners it is really STUPID of him to use this moment of the best success to trash the game and give people the view that
all owners are fooled???

Animal Kingdom is a nice horse and I hope for the best for him.

As for Irwin, I hope his horse runs last at Pimlico.

Maybe he can then fire Motion on the air...

kind of agree with you...

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 08:36 PM
kind of agree with you...

if his horse runs poorly, at least, then, he'll have a reason to whine and complain.

as somebody else noted, days before the derby, "indian charlie" gave a run down on some of the derby "personalities". for irwin he said a bartender asked irwin to leave the bar because they wanted to start happy hour.

nailed it.

Rackon
05-14-2011, 08:52 PM

I did spend some time around Baffert last fall - he was totally charming. Of course, he was having a good day.;)

I get to enjoy watching top class horses at the races, I don't need to hang out with or like their owners. There are some very nice people in the racing game e. g. the Mosses. There are some jerks. Life is like that.

toussaud
05-14-2011, 08:53 PM
if his horse runs poorly, at least, then, he'll have a reason to whine and complain.

as somebody else noted, days before the derby, "indian charlie" gave a run down on some of the derby "personalities". for irwin he said a bartender asked irwin to leave the bar because they wanted to start happy hour.

nailed it.
rotfl

can you link me to this i would like to read this

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 09:19 PM
rotfl

can you link me to this i would like to read this

indian charlie calls im barry "wite shoes" irwin

http://www.indiancharlie.com/2011/05/04/thursday-may-5-2011/

KingChas
05-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I really think this guy is trying to turn the 2011 Triple Crown races into;
"The Barry Irwin Show"

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I really think this guy is trying to turn the 2011 Triple Crown races into;
"The Barry Irwin Show"

wants to sell, sell, sell T-E-A-M VALOR

O P M (other peoples money)

5k-claim
05-14-2011, 09:51 PM
"I'm just trying to be cautious because my trainer and I have been very vocal about medication use. We are prime targets if anyone is minded to do something." The security makes good sense. I sure as heck would do it with a horse in Animal Kingdom's position. But I am a little confused about where the danger may be coming from.

This guy took a German-bred mare and raced her on Lasix throughout her entire career in the U.S. He bred her to a Brazilian-bred sire who had done exactly the same. The resulting foal out of this pairing started running on Lasix and an adjunct beginning with his second career start, at age 2.

I wonder who is out to get him simply because of his pro-drugs stance?

toussaud
05-14-2011, 10:06 PM
why does IC call him "white shoes"

sonnyp
05-14-2011, 10:21 PM
why does IC call him "white shoes"

don't know for sure, but barry was probably the guy in the leisure suit with the matching white shoes and belt back in the day.

IC has nicknames for all the players. he called lukas "dead duck darnel" when he wasn't winning and the d. is for darnel.

in fairness, IC's other nickname is felon. the feds got him on structuring charges, but that makes me a fan of his.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2011, 11:46 PM
wants to sell, sell, sell T-E-A-M VALOR

O P M (other peoples money)I love how some on here, because they may have heard bad things about one syndicate, or they had problems themselves with another syndicate, automatically think all syndicates are a bad deal.

The entire world revolves around O P M. You're not really saying anything.

sonnyp
05-15-2011, 11:18 AM
ive rarely seen two partners get along for any length of time let alone a syndicate and the idea of charging a management fee for expertise offered in a crapshoot of a business like this is laughable.

might appeal to entry level investors who don't know better, but don't see them working with those with experience.

turfnsport
05-15-2011, 12:56 PM
ive rarely seen two partners get along for any length of time let alone a syndicate and the idea of charging a management fee for expertise offered in a crapshoot of a business like this is laughable.

I was in a racing partnership for six years. We all got along peachy.

Believe it or not, the good people in racing far outnumber the bad ones.

sonnyp
05-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I was in a racing partnership for six years. We all got along peachy.

Believe it or not, the good people in racing far outnumber the bad ones.

great that it worked for you, but its the exception rather than the rule. like any "organization", it depends on those involved. it's like government, the more voices the less effective.

i think of leo durocher's quote, "nice guys finishing last". ive met many great people in racing, but the jerks seem to do well.

Spalding No!
05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Irwin can hire all the ex-Navy Seals he wants to protect his horse.

But he's gonna need some preternatural pad money to pay off the Karma Police.

Next he'll be buying Animal Kingdom look-a-likes to serve as decoys in and around Fair Hill.

He's a legend in his own mind.

Mineshaft
05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
he sure has been quiet this past week.