PDA

View Full Version : What kind of races should be on Ky Derby undercard?

FenceBored
05-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Yeah, they care about the once or twice a year customers. If they cared at all about the hard core players, they wouldn't overload so many top stakes in 2 days and would spread them out throughout the meet. I would imagine most people on this board would prefer that.
-- http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1098865&postcount=46

What about it folks, which would you rather have as the race right before the Kentucky Derby?

OTM Al
05-13-2011, 08:31 AM
What about it folks, which would you rather have as the race right before the Kentucky Derby?

They can run anything they want if it's not 90 minutes before the race.

Tom
05-13-2011, 08:33 AM
No better slot than this for the Wiener Dog Cup.

toussaud
05-13-2011, 08:59 AM
good ones

BlueShoe
05-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Sorry, but for that you will have to make a trip to California. Los Alamitos, the home of high takeouts, has the finals in July. Besides a few decent quarter horse races that night, there is sure to be several of those 4 1/2 furlong races for $2000 and $2500 broken down conditioned claimers that expert handicappers enjoy so much. See you in July? :D
www.losalamitos.com/wienernationals/default.aspx (http://www.losalamitos.com/wienernationals/default.aspx)

Black Ruby
05-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Mules going 550 yards around a turn! Or politicians trying to stay ahead of pitchforks!

Bettowin
05-13-2011, 01:21 PM
A stakes race on the dirt at 1 1/8 to see how the track is playing:)

sonnyp
05-13-2011, 05:10 PM

los al outdrew the socal toroughbred track by a couple thousand fans on weiner dog nite when the thoroughbred track had featured a major stake that afternoon.

was it hollywood or SA and what major stake would that have been ?

andtheyreoff
05-13-2011, 08:53 PM
One thing to note is that most of the 160,000+ people at Churchill last Saturday didn't come to watch $30,000 maiden claimers. They came to watch top class horses in the Derby and in the other races.

Valuist
05-13-2011, 09:14 PM
One thing to note is that most of the 160,000+ people at Churchill last Saturday didn't come to watch $30,000 maiden claimers. They came to watch top class horses in the Derby and in the other races.

The people that come for the Derby don't know the difference between First Dude and a first time starter. They would come anyways, regardless if other Grade 2 or 3 races are carded that day.

Skanoochies
05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Mile and a quarter races for the whole card. :)

BlueShoe
05-14-2011, 09:46 AM
los al outdrew the socal toroughbred track by a couple thousand fans on weiner dog nite when the thoroughbred track had featured a major stake that afternoon.

was it hollywood or SA and what major stake would that have been ?
Hollypark. This year, on July 9, The Hollywood Gold Cup and Swaps Stakes, both major events, will be run that day. Will be interesting to see if Los Al outdraws HOL that night. The date for the weiner finals has varied slightly from year to year, so am uncertain as to which stake was run at HOL that day in previous years. Los Al is absolutely packed that night. The dog fans start coming in late in the afternoon, and quite frankly, are a bit of a nuisance to the simulcast players as they crowd in. The pooch people are not horse racing fans per se, they are there mainly for what is viewed as a fun filled social event. The dog races themselves can be quite funny, since the little dogs are often very erratic. The ones that actually break alertly and run fast, straight and true down the course all the way to the finish line are the exception, and are highly prized.

toussaud
05-16-2011, 12:41 AM
i have watched probably close to 100 Hollywood park Friday night's. I have seen a million dollar grade 2 race on a Friday night at Hollywood park, king palm finally winning a race lol, I've hit some B-22 like bombs on friday nights, i've seen countless graded stakes winners turn in impressive performances

without question the friday night that stands out to me, is the night they had all those hot women in bikini's line up in the gate and race.

Valuist
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
This poll is a bit deceptive, taking my quote at least partially out of context. I was referring to the entire Friday and Saturday cards, not just the Woodford Reserve.

I have no problem with the Woodford Reserve preceeding the Derby. My point was that some of the other stakes over the Friday and Saturday cards, might be better served by spreading them throughout the Churchill meet. Last Sunday's card could've been helped significantly by adding a stakes like the Alysheba.

Valuist
05-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Well Saturday's entries are out. We will be exactly 2 weeks removed from the Derby. Here's what Churchill gives as a betting product:

1. No stake race. This isn't a Sunday. Couldn't one of those numerous stakes from May 6-7 been put here?

2. OK, so you say they will go cheap but get big fields. WRONG! 8 races are for the main track and ONE of those 8 has more than 8 runners entered.

3. Two Mdn Sp Wt races drew a grand total of 6 horses each.

4. OK so small fields and no stake but we get a bunch of solid allowance races? No. Outside of the feature, a NW3X, the main track has only one allowance carded

5. The conditioned claiming races can't even draw 9 horses. 8 horses each in the M40, the 15000 NW3, and a 30000NW2.

Didn't need the meet to be complete to see the negative effect of jamming so many stakes into two days.

FenceBored
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Well Saturday's entries are out. We will be exactly 2 weeks removed from the Derby. Here's what Churchill gives as a betting product:

1. No stake race. This isn't a Sunday. Couldn't one of those numerous stakes from May 6-7 been put here?

2. OK, so you say they will go cheap but get big fields. WRONG! 8 races are for the main track and ONE of those 8 has more than 8 runners entered.

3. Two Mdn Sp Wt races drew a grand total of 6 horses each.

4. OK so small fields and no stake but we get a bunch of solid allowance races? No. Outside of the feature, a NW3X, the main track has only one allowance carded

5. The conditioned claiming races can't even draw 9 horses. 8 horses each in the M40, the 15000 NW3, and a 30000NW2.

Didn't need the meet to be complete to see the negative effect of jamming so many stakes into two days.

Having a graded stake on the card attracts more entries in a 40k maiden claimer?

andtheyreoff
05-18-2011, 03:36 PM
This poll is a bit deceptive, taking my quote at least partially out of context. I was referring to the entire Friday and Saturday cards, not just the Woodford Reserve.

I have no problem with the Woodford Reserve preceeding the Derby. My point was that some of the other stakes over the Friday and Saturday cards, might be better served by spreading them throughout the Churchill meet. Last Sunday's card could've been helped significantly by adding a stakes like the Alysheba.

You know what I don't understand? Churchill is putting on a GREAT product for the bettors on Oaks and Derby day, jam-packed with stakes and (usually) high quality allowances, most of them with full fields, and yet it still gets bashed.

Maybe it's just part of the trend of increased complaining around here.

Valuist
05-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Having a graded stake on the card attracts more entries in a 40k maiden claimer?

Apparently. Seen the M40 only drew 8 horses, I see plenty of stakes races with fields bigger than that.

FenceBored
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Apparently. Seen the M40 only drew 8 horses, I see plenty of stakes races with fields bigger than that.

You mean like the Black-Eyed Susan today?