PDA

View Full Version : Preakness workouts for Louis Quatorze - 1996?

Vinman
05-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Can Dialed In earn the 5.5 million bonus check for winning the Preakness? A possible clue could be in the workouts Zito gave 1996 Preakness winner Louis Quatorze after his 16th place finish in the Kentucky Derby.

Following his 4th place finish in the Fla Derby on 3/16 and second place finish by 6 to Skip Away in the Blue Grass, Louis Quatorze worked 5f in 1:02.2 B on 4/22 and 5f in 1:02.1 B on 4/28 before tiring to 16th in the Derby on 5/4. He was no closer than 11th in that race with Antley aboard. Pat Day rode him in the Preakness.

Anyone have Louis Quatorze's pre-Preakness works, which may shed some light as to how this horse managed to not only rebound, but equal the stakes record in winning the Preakness?

Vinman

tubesockshakur
05-12-2011, 10:15 PM
not sure....but, L.Q. would beat that mule by a country mile.

the little guy
05-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Louis Quatorze would have been hailed as an all-time great, a superhorse, if he was in this crop.

Spalding No!
05-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Is Midnight Interlude up for any bonus having won the Santa Anita Derby?

Spalding No!
05-13-2011, 12:09 AM
After Louis Quatorze won the Preakness, it was noted that he was the only entrant to arrive well in advanced of the race (8 days as he shipped with stablemate Star Standard who was running in the Pimlico Special the week before the Preakness), and he was the only one to have a "fast work" over the track.

However, most noteworthy was the change in tactics, as Louis Quatorze was sent straight to the lead at Pimlico after tending to stalk in his previous races.

Not sure that's what Nick Zito has in mind with Dialed In. In fact, were it not for the astronomical bonus, he'd probably be following the Birdstone route with this colt.

plainolebill
05-13-2011, 12:35 AM
I wasn't shocked when Animal Kingdom won the derby but I'll be stunned if Dialed In wins the Preakness.

letswastemoney
05-13-2011, 02:07 AM
I wasn't shocked when Animal Kingdom won the derby but I'll be stunned if Dialed In wins the Preakness.
I won't if there's speed in the race. Dance City + Flashpoint will set things up for either a midpack runner or closer

Vinman
05-13-2011, 09:58 AM
From a pure "running style" perspective, Dialed In figures to have a more difficult time winning the Preakness than the Derby, given that it's a 1/16th shorter and with Pimlico's shorter stretch. Mine That Bird tried his best and could only close to be third vs Rachel.

Zito would have to really inject some speed into Dialed In for him to have any shot at the 5.5M bonus. Post position will play a role too. Last time I saw the Preakness post position stats, there was a significant dropoff in winning percentage outside of post 7, which is not to say it can't be done.....Rachel did it.

Anyone have Louis Quatorze's pre-Preakness works?

Vinman