PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive space??? WTF

Storm Cadet
05-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Hard drive space all used up?

Man I don't have much on my C drive:out of 13.9 Gigs, it says all I have left is 573 megs...I dont have many programs on my computer...I check the add/remove list and I only have one program using more than 220 negs and that is microsoft offce...where or what is gobbling all my hard drive space? Cant be all CJ's program ;) adding up all the other programs in the add/remove lists only comes up with an additional 600 megs of assorted small programs? My pictures only use up another 400 megs of space...I have NO MUSIC or videos either!!! :bang:

Any ideas?

bigmack
05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Run this little honey where it says "current installer" and begin sniffing.

That's right, it's Space Sniffer. It'll clue you in on you HD contents.

http://windirstat.info/download.html

headhawg
05-12-2011, 07:59 PM
You have a 14 gig C: drive, and you are using some version of Windows?? If the answer is "yes" you clearly don't have enough space for Windows. You really should allow anywhere from 20 - 50 GB just for Windows (depending on the version) as there the install files plus the updates over time.

Perhaps your OS is installed on a different drive but that would be unusual.

GameTheory
05-12-2011, 08:00 PM
14g is a tiny amount these days. Just get another drive -- they're cheap.

Storm Cadet
05-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Ran that program and some windows program Dr Watson 32.log is using 4.3 gigs itself!!!! Safe to delete?

bigmack
05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Ran that program and some windows program Dr Watson is using 4.3 gigs itself!!!! Safe to delete?
Good Gawd. You'd best double click on it in Sniffer to ensure it isn't holding something you need.

Otherwise, I'd blow it up real good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Watson

Storm Cadet
05-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Good Gawd. You'd best double click on it in Sniffer to ensure it isn't holding something you need.

Otherwise, I'd blow it up real good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Watson

Yeah it shows a the LARGEST thing on my computer HD...huge...takes up the whole left upper quandrant...how do I know it it's needed...its a log text file it says!

bigmack
05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah it shows a the LARGEST thing on my computer HD...huge...takes up the whole left upper quandrant...how do I know it it's needed...its a log text file it says!
Yeah, tell the Dr to scram. Delete away.

Storm Cadet
05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
The good dr is NO LONGER in the house!!!! :jump: thanks for all your help!

wilderness
05-12-2011, 08:34 PM
You still need a larger hard drive.

I downloaded a 182-meg PDF today and that is an approximate 1.5% of your total HD space.

HD's are quite easy to add, even internal ones.

JustRalph
05-12-2011, 09:07 PM
i still don't think he has a 14gig hard drive......... something don't wash here.

is that computer 12 years old? if so , you might have a 14gig hard drive.

wilderness
05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Ralph,
All he needs to do is provide brand and model number and default HD size could be determined easily.

Storm Cadet
05-12-2011, 09:34 PM
i still don't think he has a 14gig hard drive......... something don't wash here.

is that computer 12 years old? if so , you might have a 14gig hard drive.

Ralph...yes it is about 10-12 years old... :1: Sony Vaio PCG-FRV27...runs great. All I do on it is horse racing internet pages and run CJ's Pacefigures program (and as soon as the days racing is over...poof I delete those data files)

I also have a :2: Asus netbook for travel, a :3: IBM thinkpad for work travel AND my office :4: Dell PC at my University! not to mention my :5: Blackberry
:eek:

wilderness
05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
* Sony VAIO PCG-FRV27 Laptop
* 2.66-GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM
* 40 GB Hard Drive, DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive

Storm Cadet
05-12-2011, 09:53 PM
BTW Ralph...on MY Computer icon it also says I have a "D" drive which has 18.6 GB capacity and 17.6 GB free. Is this really available usable disk space and if so can I shift some of my programs I rarely use and my picture albums to this area to free up more space on C drive?

I've had this computer for 10-12 years and never downloaded any thing to D Drive.

And my internal dvd player in it hasnt worked for years...I have it attached to a Sony DVD external drive!

headhawg
05-12-2011, 10:44 PM
By all means move everything that's not Windows or a program installed on C to your D drive. If you move programs you will have to uninstall them and then reinstall. You cannot just move them over unless they are stand-alone .exe files that do not write anything to the registry.

wilderness
05-12-2011, 10:48 PM
BTW Ralph...on MY Computer icon it also says I have a "D" drive which has 18.6 GB capacity and 17.6 GB free. Is this really available usable disk space and if so can I shift some of my programs I rarely use and my picture albums to this area to free up more space on C drive?

I've had this computer for 10-12 years and never downloaded any thing to D Drive.

It's likely that the drive was partitioned (deceives the computer into believing that it has two drives rather than one) at one time or another.

Some computer back up software's will create a partiton for restoring data in the event the computer crashes. Most OS's that do this will not allow you to manually write data to that "D-drive".

Just copy something simple over there to test it.

Half you HD space been setting unused all these years is worth exploring. Freeing up space on your "C" might even make the computer work a little faster.

wilderness
05-12-2011, 10:51 PM
And my internal dvd player in it hasnt worked for years...I have it attached to a Sony DVD external drive!

Used replacements for these are really cheap and not difficult to install.

If you stay with Sony or either a new replacement you'll get robbed.

JustRalph
05-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Ralph...yes it is about 10-12 years old... :1: Sony Vaio PCG-FRV27...runs great. All I do on it is horse racing internet pages and run CJ's Pacefigures program (and as soon as the days racing is over...poof I delete those data files)

I also have a :2: Asus netbook for travel, a :3: IBM thinkpad for work travel AND my office :4: Dell PC at my University! not to mention my :5: Blackberry
:eek:

well, that answers that.

The 2nd drive is probably a 2nd partition (as mentioned earlier) but I am wondering why? If the drive is usable, by all means use it. What version of Winders?

Storm Cadet
05-13-2011, 12:00 AM
well, that answers that.

The 2nd drive is probably a 2nd partition (as mentioned earlier) but I am wondering why? If the drive is usable, by all means use it. What version of Winders?

XP Home edition

Thanks guys for all the great help and assistance! I indeed did move all my pix over to D drive and some other programs!

Canarsie
05-13-2011, 08:11 AM
You can check how big your swap file is that may be the reason it's showing less space. This can be moved to the second partition also probably a good idea.

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

Marshall Bennett
05-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Wow, a 12 year old computer. What is that in human years, about 200?

headhawg
05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
You can check how big your swap file is that may be the reason it's showing less space. This can be moved to the second partition also probably a good idea.

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm From a performance standpoint, moving the pagefile only makes sense if it's moved to a separate physical hard disk, not a separate partition on the same hard drive.

If it's about saving space I suppose it's an ok idea, but probably more hassle than it's worth for a non-techie.

Canarsie
05-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow, a 12 year old computer. What is that in human years, about 200?

I built this bad boy around the year 2000 as it's still ticking albeit very slowly. It even has a SSCI tape reader for backup take a look. Believe it or not I still have that computer desk bough it for around $400 in 1980. Still have some magazines from the 80's including Creative Computing's 10th anniversary issue. Oh my have times changed. If you guys want I'll scan some ads from Dell even back then.

It's 1993 take a guess what a 486DX2 50MHz cost with 8 MB ram, 512k video card,VGA monitor,dual diskette drives, and Windows 3.1?

ALL CIRCUITS GO
05-14-2011, 07:12 AM
looks like my old setup.. cost was around $1999... and I was still paying it off when I 'upgraded' 2 years later to a new computer..

:(

DJofSD
05-14-2011, 08:09 AM

Most excellent utility! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

bigmack
05-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Most excellent utility! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.
I work from here, DJ.

http://www.amazing-animations.com/animations/heart.gif

It's the love.

sonnyp
05-18-2011, 03:52 PM
when i try to go to a website, PA for example, the site comes up on my screen but the little circular "page loading" indicator in the upper left corner under my tool bars keeps spinning endlessly.

i noticed this when i couldn't type because the flashing typing indicator wouldn't come up until i click on the X which is colored red until i click on it.

the X turns grey, the loading indicator stops and disappears, the typing indicator comes up and all seems good.

shouldn't this process happen automatically without me having to stop the page from loading manually ?

RaceTrackDaddy
06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I use D: exclusively for my video and audio files. It got to the point of my C: drive being 90percent full that I decided to move my larger programs to the D. I created a d:/programs/ and whenever I loaded a new one, it would automaticly go to the D drive.

Think I got this one Sony Vaio in 2003 or 04...think 100 gig hardrive.
If you move all your non-program files to D: you should be good for another 10 years!...