PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Early Pick 5 pool well over 800k today. (5-12)

andymays
05-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Wow. I was very surprised to see it get that big.

andymays
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
907,116 in the pool today.

Stillriledup
05-12-2011, 04:40 PM
It was big because it was the anti-churchill strategy.

1) They actually drew the races more than 5 minutes before leg 1 giving people time to handicap (i know, novel concept)

2) they didnt card it to be impossible, like Churchill did for their pick 6, they threw the fans a bone and gave them a '2 horse race' in leg 2 (which lost of course)

Note to Churchill: The easier it is, the more people will play it. CD had a shot to get 3 mil in their pick 6 pool, but since they drew the races 5 minutes before leg 1 and made it ridicously hard with crap fields, people stayed away for the most part.

Go take a look at any So Cal pick 6 with a 500k carryover and 3 days to handicap and every one of those bets got more than a 1.5 mil pool. Every one.

But Churchill had to card the races very late and they had to make sure the races were filled with the worst horses in the world (see race 10). They couldnt throw you a bone and a few short fields in the pick 6? (like races 1 and 2 on their card?)

They would have gotten 3 million in the pool if they had:

1) drew the races more than 5 minutes before leg 1

2) put some easier fields in the sequence.

Not rocket science.

Mineshaft
05-12-2011, 04:52 PM
It was big because it was the anti-churchill strategy.

1) They actually drew the races more than 5 minutes before leg 1 giving people time to handicap (i know, novel concept)

2) they didnt card it to be impossible, like Churchill did for their pick 6, they threw the fans a bone and gave them a '2 horse race' in leg 2 (which lost of course)

Note to Churchill: The easier it is, the more people will play it. CD had a shot to get 3 mil in their pick 6 pool, but since they drew the races 5 minutes before leg 1 and made it ridicously hard with crap fields, people stayed away for the most part.

Go take a look at any So Cal pick 6 with a 500k carryover and 3 days to handicap and every one of those bets got more than a 1.5 mil pool. Every one.

But Churchill had to card the races very late and they had to make sure the races were filled with the worst horses in the world (see race 10). They couldnt throw you a bone and a few short fields in the pick 6? (like races 1 and 2 on their card?)

They would have gotten 3 million in the pool if they had:

1) drew the races more than 5 minutes before leg 1

2) put some easier fields in the sequence.

Not rocket science.

give it a rest its getting old...

Tracks cant make everyone happy.

andymays
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
For a 1st race exotic that was incredible.

DeanT
05-12-2011, 05:12 PM
They should raise the takeout on the Pick 5 to 23.68%. That way they will make more money on it.

14% is way too low a takeout for putting on the show.

andymays
05-12-2011, 05:19 PM
They should raise the takeout on the Pick 5 to 23.68%. That way they will make more money on it.

14% is way too low a takeout for putting on the show.

I was thinking about exactly what you've written. I was going to send out another email telling them that they're losing money by making the takeout so low. They would have made an extra 80k right? :lol:

Don't be shy. I've sent out my quota for the day. ;)

andymays
05-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Has there ever been a first race of the day exotic pool this big anywhere in the country? I don’t even think a first race of the day on a Breeders’ Cup day has gotten 900k in a single exotic pool.

I may be wrong.

================================================== ========

I'm told that the biggest multirace pool involving the first race on a recent Breeders' Cup or Derby cards is the $892k bet at OSA in 2008 on the race 1-2-3 pick-3, consisting of the BC Marathon, BC Sprint and BC Dirt Mile. Of course none of these bets has ever had a carryover, but it's still a strong number.

By the way the pool today was 799k plus the 107k carryover from yesterday.

rwwupl
05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
We have shown with the new Players p-5 at .50 cents and 14% (lowest in California) takeout that lower take out works to draw customers and handle.

We have shown that customers are not happy with the California product that is suffering from lack of customer support and handle via the players boycott.

When will California understand that they need to compete for business and lower the take out ? Even California must eventually come to economic reality.

This day and pool on the p-5 at Hollywood is the largest pool I can remember starting with the first race anywhere... If you count the Breeders Cup series races and bypass the early non -cup races you may find an early race handle bigger. Remember, the p-6 had a carryover too,not quite as big... but fell a quarter million dollar shy of the Players p-5 today.

A statement has been made. Lower the take out and come ALIVE.

I received this e-mail today from an owner that was typical...

Roger,

Great evidence that lower take out works....Even I put in a few dollars...The only good thing is that I am still alive for the Show me the money contest.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop

John xxxxxx

Roger Way

Light
05-12-2011, 11:26 PM
A statement has been made. Lower the take out and come ALIVE..

I'm not sure that's the whole story. We've now seen that lowering the base of a bet raises its handle. The Pk5 is much more seductive @50c than the Pk6 @ $2. When all bets get to 10c, this industry will finally have figured out that this is the internet age,not 1950.

Stillriledup
05-13-2011, 02:22 AM
Another huge thing to consider is that this carryover was going into the teeth of the Churchill Pick 6 at 500k, the Churchill Penta at 220k and the Hol Pick 6 at 91k. AND, they STILL pulled in 900k.

The reason this bet was SO popular....wait for it.......was that it was hittable for everyone. It wasnt a bet that was only for the rich and famous to be able to wager on. Once Churchill came out with their redonkulous pick 6 sequence that was only affordable by syndicates and uber-whales, all the other reasonable horseplayers went into this hittable and extremely value laden bet.

Its very rare to get a 100k+ carryover into a 14 pct takeout and the reason is that most tracks that CAN get a 100k C/O to begin with, don't often give their customers such a low takeout.

andymays
05-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Hollywood Park: Pick five's popularity with bettors soars

http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-pick-fives-popularity-bettors-soars

“I was pleasantly surprised, and maybe the word is stunned, that we had that much bet in the first race exotic pool,” track president Jack Liebau said on Friday. “I was also surprised by the pick six pool. After they bet so much on the pick five, I was concerned there wouldn’t be any money left for the pick six. I thought that’s what they would have bet in the pick six in the absence of a pick five.”

In addition, Liebau said the $390,336 pool for the 50-cent late pick four was “$100,000 higher than a comparable Thursday.”

Stillriledup
05-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Hollywood Park: Pick five's popularity with bettors soars

http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-pick-fives-popularity-bettors-soars

“I was pleasantly surprised, and maybe the word is stunned, that we had that much bet in the first race exotic pool,” track president Jack Liebau said on Friday. “I was also surprised by the pick six pool. After they bet so much on the pick five, I was concerned there wouldn’t be any money left for the pick six. I thought that’s what they would have bet in the pick six in the absence of a pick five.”

In addition, Liebau said the $390,336 pool for the 50-cent late pick four was “$100,000 higher than a comparable Thursday.”

It would have been much higher had CD not had any carryovers.

The pick 4 was higher than comparable because when players seriously handicap those races, they arent going to sit back and not play. People who handicapped the pick 5 also handicapped the first leg of the pick 4, that was important to get them to play. If this was a 9 race card, the pick 4 and pick 5 would not have overlapped.

Also the key to this was the first 2 races being 6 horse fields. There wasn't a bevy of 12 horse fields to deal with...people glanced over the card and said, "hmmm, i have a shot at this, doesnt look impossible"

This is why the pool was so big.

andymays
05-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I think Churchill helped and the post times were just right to create a perfect storm for Hollywood Park. The card was nothing special yet they got an exotic pool bigger than almost any other pool ever in the first race of the day.