PDA

View Full Version : Jockeys gone wild

adwplayingfool
05-12-2011, 03:57 PM
These guys are beating up their wives and dealing drugs left and right. Arrests hit the news weekly. How can anyone have faith the races are being run straight when everything else going on is so crooked? I think its industry wide knowledge the occasional lay down or fix occurs at the very minimum but who is to say it is not a daily occurence with the behavior of those behind the reigns constantly being so ill advised?

hugh
05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Maybe they're over compensating for something....

exactatom
05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Is the percentage of jockeys being arrested for domestic activities any higher than in any other line of business or is it just more publicized because they are high profile? The existence of owners, trainers and agents would keep the possibility of a fix down as those who have invested money buying , feeding, etc. a horse would not simply allow a high percentages of races to be fixed as you infer.

Producer
05-12-2011, 07:06 PM
These guys are beating up their wives and dealing drugs left and right. Arrests hit the news weekly. How can anyone have faith the races are being run straight when everything else going on is so crooked? I think its industry wide knowledge the occasional lay down or fix occurs at the very minimum but who is to say it is not a daily occurence with the behavior of those behind the reigns constantly being so ill advised?

Its kind of a stretch to say domestic disputes or the occasional jockey with a drug problem means they are fixing races. Other than the recent arrest of Ramsey Zimmerman, which other jockey has been arrested for dealing drugs? And i don't even think they caught him dealing drugs. Most states will charge you with possession with the intent to distribute if you get caught with more than a certain amount.

I've always felt that the lack of being able to eat like a normal human being and the "things" they have to do to keep weight caused much of the anger management issues such as the domestic disputes. Hell, if I miss one meal I'm ready to tear somebody's head off!!

JustRalph
05-12-2011, 09:15 PM

Left and right? Where the hell do you get that?

adwplayingfool
05-13-2011, 12:35 AM
JR not worth an argument here merely stating the fact that the large amount of stories coming out are disgusting and the news that gets uncovered is always just the tip of the iceberg. I certainly never recall hearing about numerous guys I have worked with beating up on women and getting caught with coke etc. So I do dare to say the jockeys are not commiting crimes at a standard rate of any other industry but on average a much higher one. In a gambling game you have to look to the athletes as honest, dedicated, skilled, motivated, and trustworthy or else you can't confidently lay down the money you otherwise might. It all comes down to character when there is big money on the line and I personally don't feel like laying down money on someone who has the morals of a wild animal.You are not just betting the horse you are betting every connection involved including owners, trainers, jockeys, judges etc.

rastajenk
05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
I'd say your username is pretty accurate.

Knowclew
05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Its kind of a stretch to say domestic disputes or the occasional jockey with a drug problem means they are fixing races. Other than the recent arrest of Ramsey Zimmerman, which other jockey has been arrested for dealing drugs? And i don't even think they caught him dealing drugs. Most states will charge you with possession with the intent to distribute if you get caught with more than a certain amount.

!

I do agree it is a stretch that fixing races could be tied to some of the current issues facing some riders.........but there are a few examples that come to mind...

Greta Kuntzweiler did time for possession and making crystal meth.

Norberto Arroyo Jr. is currently doing time, 2.5 yrs I think, for cocaine possession (he plead his case down from distribution).

turninforhome10
05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
So you are sayin that those who are doing drugs and beating their wife also have time and are smart enough to spend their down time fixin races. Thats a big stretch. This is a high stress industry and very easy to have breakdowns along the way. But givin a cokehead the credit to fix a race, come on. With your idea in mind how is to come by faith in the economy or government when their ilk are being busted daily for schemes that are screwing up the whole world. Must be the drugs and their domestic problems also? I trust racing more than our world leaders. At least they are honest in their dishonesty.

Grits
05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
I do agree it is a stretch that fixing races could be tied to some of the current issues facing some riders.........but there are a few examples that come to mind...

Greta Kuntzweiler did time for possession and making crystal meth.

Norberto Arroyo Jr. is currently doing time, 2.5 yrs I think, for cocaine possession (he plead his case down from distribution).

Please, add the fact that Greta is back riding races, and doing well.

affirmedny
05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Why don't we just say this industry has a lot of young, often uneducated, men/women making a helluva lot of money and unfortunately this often leads to drug abuse.

toussaud
05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Why don't we just say this industry has a lot of young, often uneducated, men/women making a helluva lot of money and unfortunately this often leads to drug abuse.
educated has nothing to do with it. you give a young person, more money then they can spend, especially when they have not really "earned it" per say, and they usually spend it on very nonconstructive things.

cj's dad
05-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Are you talking about the NBA and NFL ?

Light
05-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I think this is a high stress field with the possibility of getting killed or maimed very real every time you mount a horse. Having to keep your weight down and flipping (for some) can be brutal.They certainly earn their pay.

Stillriledup
05-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Maybe they're over compensating for something....

Napoleon Complex. There's a lot of angry short men out there.

adwplayingfool
05-13-2011, 06:52 PM
They give themselves a lot better chance of being killed or maimed doing the drugs and being distracted with court cases. Hard to pay attention and have a clean head to focus when you are high half the time. Also in other countries there is constant investigation into rugby, soccer, cricket, etc where match fixing is suspected and they are not even "gambling games" to the extent of horse racing. A sport which survives from and is based on gambling is bound to have drastically more fixing than a sport that is not. In addition one person has the ability to change the entire outcome of a race aka the jockey whereas in larger sports it is less of a sure thing one person can get you the desired result and needs a higher level of collusion. And on top of that who is to say the drugs are coming from money they earned, from my experience the people who can get you good drugs are the people who may be interested in trading them for a shot to make some serious money. There are plenty of people who make millions and spend it all on drugs and end up commiting crimes why think it is not possible for someone who makes a modest to decent living getting hooked hard and needing a handout The idea I am out of line for questioning the honesty and integrity of a group of people who are clearly not of high character (as many here openly admit even supporting them with excuses for why it is ok they behave badly) does not quite make me the fool......

billyball
05-14-2011, 12:04 AM
do you think that someone who risks their life any time they take a mount might feel that other risks are small potatoes---it is a dirty secret what people do that is not on the record---the powers to be cover up most of the negative things that happen around the track anyway---so do not act so suprised when they happen---

Irish Boy
05-14-2011, 12:39 AM
They give themselves a lot better chance of being killed or maimed doing the drugs and being distracted with court cases. Hard to pay attention and have a clean head to focus when you are high half the time. Also in other countries there is constant investigation into rugby, soccer, cricket, etc where match fixing is suspected and they are not even "gambling games" to the extent of horse racing. A sport which survives from and is based on gambling is bound to have drastically more fixing than a sport that is not. In addition one person has the ability to change the entire outcome of a race aka the jockey whereas in larger sports it is less of a sure thing one person can get you the desired result and needs a higher level of collusion. And on top of that who is to say the drugs are coming from money they earned, from my experience the people who can get you good drugs are the people who may be interested in trading them for a shot to make some serious money. There are plenty of people who make millions and spend it all on drugs and end up commiting crimes why think it is not possible for someone who makes a modest to decent living getting hooked hard and needing a handout The idea I am out of line for questioning the honesty and integrity of a group of people who are clearly not of high character (as many here openly admit even supporting them with excuses for why it is ok they behave badly) does not quite make me the fool......
Paragraph breaks are your friend.