PDA

View Full Version : Obama approval rating hits 60%

horses4courses
05-11-2011, 10:58 AM
In the wake of OBL's demise, BHO's approval ratings are on the rise.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110511/ap_on_re_us/us_ap_poll_obama_boost

ArlJim78
05-11-2011, 11:37 AM
don't swallow the kool-aid, look under the hood. its the most skewed polling ever taken.

The Dem/Rep/Ind breakdown in this poll is 46/29/4, as AP assigned most of the leaners to the parties. That is a 17-point gap, more than twice what was seen in the 2008 actual popular vote that elected Obama. It only gets worse when independents are assigned properly. When taking out the leaners, the split becomes — I’m not kidding — 35/18/27. Oh, and another 20% “don’t know.” That’s significantly worse than the March poll, in which the proper D/R/I was 29/20/34, and far beyond their post-midterm sample of 31/28/26. It’s pretty easy to get Obama to 60% when Republicans are undersampled by almost half.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/05/11/and-the-award-for-the-most-ridiculous-poll-sampling-goes-to/

HUSKER55
05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE ANY POLL WHEN POLITICS ARE INVOLVED.

Rookies
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE ANY POLL WHEN POLITICS ARE INVOLVED.

Depends on the timing.

BOTH, the last U.S. Presidential election and the recent Canadian General election were bang on consistent with polls from the previous two weeks. That is, any seminal change had taken place, was reflected and very few changed their minds when they hit the polls.

Tom
05-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Bush 41 was close to 90% right after the Gulf War.
This will not last.

Polling numbers now mean little for the election. And if you look at many polls, he is probably somewhere around 53-55%.

mostpost
05-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Bush 41 was close to 90% right after the Gulf War.
This will not last.

Polling numbers now mean little for the election. And if you look at many polls, he is probably somewhere around 53-55%.

Rookies is right and you are...................................right. In both the case of Bush 41 after the Gulf War and Obama after the death of bin Laden, the upsurge was based on an emotional reaction to a gratifying event. In the case of Bush 41 reality soon set in and his numbers dropped precipitously. Bush 41's numbers were dropping prior to the liberation of Kuwait, reversed themselves in a big way during the conflict, then dropped again after folks started concentrating on domestic problems again.

Obama's numbers have been fairly steady and the Osama bump has been moderate yet significant. (Not the thirty points I predicted. :blush: ) I'm sure they will drop in the short term,but I don't think the drop will be as great as you think.

Let's Roll
05-11-2011, 01:54 PM
60% is impressive. I can only imagine how high it would be if we did not have a president installed by affirmitive action, who had prior executive experience and who actually worked for the American people, instead of finding creative ways to pat himself on the back.

mostpost
05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
60% is impressive. I can only imagine how high it would be if we did not have a president installed by affirmitive action, who had prior executive experience and who actually worked for the American people, instead of finding creative ways to pat himself on the back.

As compared to a President installed by an activist United States Supreme Court, who had a lot of executive experience as the head of several failed oil companies, who actually worked for the American people who were worth over a million dollars and landed on an aircraft carrier. (Speaking of creative ways to pat oneself on the back.

toetoe
05-11-2011, 06:52 PM
As compared to a President installed by an activist United States Supreme Court, who had a lot of executive experience as the head of several failed oil companies, who actually worked for the American people who were worth over a million dollars and landed on an aircraft carrier. (Speaking of creative ways to pat oneself on the back.

You say those things as if they were bad. :confused:

Tom
05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by mostpost
As compared to a President installed by an activist United States Supreme Court,

Please point out the exact wording in the decision that you think was wrong. You MUST know it by heart, so no big deal to put up or shut up, correct?

Lefty
05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Please point out the exact wording in the decision that you think was wrong. You MUST know it by heart, so no big deal to put up or shut up, correct?

Mosty's memory either not good or he is still mad that the Supremes overturned an activist State court's bad decision.

NJ Stinks
05-11-2011, 11:08 PM
In the end the Supreme Court's appointment cost Republicans both houses and the presidency in 2008.

Nothing like justice. :ThmbUp:

Tom
05-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Back on topic - New Jersey's approval rating dropped to 12! :lol:

Hey NJ - if you are going to make leaps like that one, I hope you wear a cup.

bigmack
05-11-2011, 11:41 PM
In the end the Supreme Court's appointment cost Republicans both houses and the presidency in 2008.

Nothing like justice. :ThmbUp:
Just stunning the thoughts of some. Then again, you were a civil servant, right?

NJ Stinks
05-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Just stunning the thoughts of some. Then again, you were a civil servant, right?

And proud of it, dude.

bigmack
05-12-2011, 12:46 AM
And proud of it, dude.
I've been unfair to you. Making public ones profession is not easy and I've employed your disclosure for mocking purposes unjustly.

My apologies to you sir.

toetoe
05-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Good for you, Mack.

One other thing --- civil servant I find to be a racist term. Using said term would not seem to favor. :p

NJ Stinks
05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
I've been unfair to you. Making public ones profession is not easy and I've employed your disclosure for mocking purposes unjustly.

My apologies to you sir.

It's the nature of the job. :)

I'm sure I'll provide plenty of other stuff for you to mock, Mack. :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
05-12-2011, 02:30 PM
The "poll" was heavily skewed. 49% of those responding were democrats, while only 21% were Republicans.

newtothegame
05-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Obama's Post-Bin Laden Bounce Disappears In Gallup Poll (http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/05/obamas-postbin.php)

By Steven Shepard
May 16, 2011 | 1:00 PM

The bump President Obama received after the killing of Osama bin Laden more than two weeks ago in Pakistan has vanished completely, according to the latest Gallup Tracking poll released Monday.

Obama's approval rating is now at 46 percent, equal to his approval rating in the last tracking poll (http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/05/americans-split.php) conducted before Obama addressed Americans late on May 1 and informed them of bin Laden's death. Forty-four percent of Americans now disapprove of the job Obama is doing as president.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/05/obamas-postbin.php

bigmack
05-16-2011, 11:57 PM
BO poll numbers should be downhill from here. Mormon takes WH.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2011, 02:27 AM
I don't know how this could come as a surprise to anyone who is actually paying attention.

OBL was nothing more than a symbol. Taking him out didn't improve our economy or our safety. In fact, it appears our rights have been further eroded since OBL's reported demise, if the screening at airports is any indication, along with a recent ruling by the Indiana Supreme Court outlawing resistance to illegal entry by law enforcement:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_ec169697-a19e-525f-a532-81b3df229697.html

Pell Mell
05-17-2011, 07:40 AM
I don't know how this could come as a surprise to anyone who is actually paying attention.

OBL was nothing more than a symbol. Taking him out didn't improve our economy or our safety. In fact, it appears our rights have been further eroded since OBL's reported demise, if the screening at airports is any indication, along with a recent ruling by the Indiana Supreme Court outlawing resistance to illegal entry by law enforcement:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_ec169697-a19e-525f-a532-81b3df229697.html

PA, you should check your facts first. In the thread about that decision Mosty says the papers are full of shit because he read the actual case. I guess we are all wrong about this.:lol:

Robert Goren
05-17-2011, 07:49 AM
This Poll like almost all polls taken these days is worthless. I say this as a former short term employee of Gallup.