PDA

View Full Version : Very Sad News about Michael Baze

nijinski
05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Aaron Hesz a tb radio personality is reporting on FB that Michael was found dead in his truck on Churchill backsretch . Has anyone else heard this ?

lamboguy
05-10-2011, 08:01 PM
this is certainly a very sad one. white light to mike baze's family.

pdxmike
05-10-2011, 08:02 PM
There have been rumors of it for the past half hour on twitter.

illinoisbred
05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
DRF has an article up reporting his death today at Churchill Downs.

nijinski
05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
DRF just reported it , cause unknown , but not likely a homicide.
He was only 24 , that breaks my heart RIP.

Shelby
05-10-2011, 08:16 PM
OMG I just got a tweet and came right here. I'm so so sad. Geez..I shouldn't get personal, but I just lost a dear dear friend from cancer. Too much death. I wonder what happened.

RIP Michael. You will be sorely missed, but you're in a better place now.

Stillriledup
05-10-2011, 08:23 PM
This is horrible news, my heartfelt condolences to the Baze family, very sad day in horse racing.

nijinski
05-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I didn't realize Mikel , the cousin of Tyler and Russell was at Churchill.
I know he got off to a good start in his career but it seems so many jocks
struggle after being out for an injury and are up against the new hot jocks .
Seems he has done well at Arlington , and would climb back to a career peak .
My deepest sympathy's go out to all in the Baze family .

Shelby
05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
He did well at Oaklawn, too.

:( man, I hate this.

Skanoochies
05-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I`m sad to hear this news. I thought he was a pretty damn good rider.

Condolences to all the Bazes, and any other relations and friends.

R.I.P. Mike. :(

Steve 'StatMan'
05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm so sorry to learn this sad news. I was glad for his success, esp his venture to AP last year - sad he didn't return this year but felt he could go far so understood about moving up to the upper tracks this year. He had so much potential, glad we got to see him ride when we did, but oh so short. My condolences to his family and those who knew and cared about him.

Spiderman
05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I always liked Michael. Never heard a negative word about him. He came to the fore as a rider on the SoCal circuit. My condolences to all his friends and relations.

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Very sorry to hear this rather shocking news. My deepest sympathies to his family and all who knew him personally. 24-years-old...so sad...

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
DRF just reported it , cause unknown , but not likely a homicide.
He was only 24 , that breaks my heart RIP.The report had no comment on what the cause was, and did not state it was "not likely a homicide."

A Louisville Metro Police spokeswoman, Alicia Smiley, said Tuesday evening that police have undertaken an investigation into the death. Churchill spokesman John Asher said track officials were not at liberty to comment on the death.

nijinski
05-10-2011, 09:16 PM
The report had no comment on what the cause was, and did not state it was "not likely a homicide."

True that was a message that I recieved , probably should have left it out of the post as everything will be speculation at this point.

Bruddah
05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
He did well at Oaklawn, too.

:( man, I hate this.

I went back to my Oaklawn db and came up with this:

Michael finished 4th in the standings with a record of 228 starts 34 wins 39 places 28 shows with purses won totaling $974,363.

14 of his wins came from Steve Asmussen. His biggest win was on It Happened Again in the GIII Razorback. He also rode Nehro when he broke his MSW at Oaklawn.

The young man had a bright future. May he R.I.P. at the feet of our Saviour Jesus Christ.

mannyberrios
05-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I am sorry to hear this!

affirmedny
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
The report had no comment on what the cause was, and did not state it was "not likely a homicide."

no foul play is suspected according to louisville paper

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110510/SPORTS/305100083/1002/Jockey-Michael-Baze-found-dead-Churchill-Downs?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|p

RaceBookJoe
05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Sad loss of life at a young age. rbj

Grits
05-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Sympathy and prayers to Michael's family, most especially to his parents.

There cannot be a greater pain on this earth than that of having to bury one's child. :(

Rest in peace, Michael. You're gone too soon; far too young.

jognlope
05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Condolences to his family, very sad news.

OntheRail
05-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Just way to young to have this happen... Condolences to the Baze Family.

nijinski
05-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I went back to my Oaklawn db and came up with this:

Michael finished 4th in the standings with a record of 228 starts 34 wins 39 places 28 shows with purses won totaling $974,363.

14 of his wins came from Steve Asmussen. His biggest win was on It Happened Again in the GIII Razorback. He also rode Nehro when he broke his MSW at Oaklawn.

The young man had a bright future. May he R.I.P. at the feet of our Saviour Jesus Christ.

He was also on Nehro for the second place finish in the La Derby.

BetCrazyGirl
05-10-2011, 11:30 PM
R.I.P Michael Baze :(

tundral
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Very sad say . Wish somebody could have been their for him in time of need. Loved the way he finished a race by riding out the horse and not just whipping. Rip

Greyfox
05-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Aaron Hesz a tb radio personality is reporting on FB that Michael was found dead in his truck on Churchill backsretch . Has anyone else heard this ?

Oh my Gawd. So much talent, so little time. Horrible to hear.
If true, my sympathies are extended to his loved ones.

MickJ26
05-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Sad and shocking, so young with his whole life ahead of him. RIP.

Badactor
05-11-2011, 12:56 AM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/UpInClass/jockeys/MichaelBaze.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/UpInClass/jockeys/MichaelBaze_infernal.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/UpInClass/jockeys/M_Baze.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/UpInClass/Del%20Mar%20Morning/HPIM0260.jpg
Sad, sad news... Michael Baze quickly became a favorite of mine.
The kid was good. 24 years old ...no more mounts. A terrible, terrible loss.

slew101
05-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Someone mixed up their derbies on Fox News. On the news crawl, they just said Baze had just rode a second-place finish in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.

He was also on Nehro for the second place finish in the La Derby.

nijinski
05-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Beautiful photos Badactor , thanks for posting !!

duncan04
05-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Was stunned when I heard the news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family! 24 is way too young!

Mr_Ed
05-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Very sorry to read this.

Condolences to family and friends.

dinque
05-11-2011, 02:55 AM
awful....he was my favorite jock to bet on in socal... his great talent somehow flew under the radar... so much life to leave behind

Fastracehorse
05-11-2011, 04:25 AM
awful....he was my favorite jock to bet on in socal... his great talent somehow flew under the radar... so much life to leave behind

.....MB on the S Cal circuit...

....God Bless his family.

Trent

Marshall Bennett
05-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Such sad news. So young and a talented jockey. My prayers to family and friends. Rest in peace Michael.

098poi
05-11-2011, 06:55 AM
My condolences to family and friends.

surfdog89
05-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Heartbreaking news.......
Prays to the friends and family....
MB we will miss you~~~`

turninforhome10
05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
May this be the final call to post that provides you eternal peace.
What a great loss to racing and to the Baze family. Peace be with you all.
Ripple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=671AgW9xSiA

ALL CIRCUITS GO
05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
such a young age and talent lost....

condolences to the family
:(

Tom
05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Prayers to his family and friends - very sad to hear this.
Such a young guy with so much to live for.

Wickel
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Heartbreaking news. With his talent and vitality, he had so much ahead of him. Condolences to his family. RIP Michael.

jognlope
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Nice pictures badactor, thanks.

Turkoman
05-11-2011, 11:09 AM
My God, I couldn't believe it. It's extremely sad.

strapper
05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Very sad news, puts a damper on the Kentucky Derby bump in positive PR for the sport. Talented young jockey who had a bright future. We may never know why.

Black Ruby
05-11-2011, 12:53 PM
This may or may not be related, but the news at noon here said he'd been arrested for possession of cocaine in November and was scheduled for a court appearance tomorrow.

toussaud
05-11-2011, 01:44 PM
out of respect for the deceased let's try to keep the dirty laundry to a minimum

FenceBored
05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
My sympathies to his family and friends.

JustRalph
05-11-2011, 05:07 PM
out of respect for the deceased let's try to keep the dirty laundry to a minimum

really? You're kidding right.......?

You think this won't be picked apart like crazy in other places?

Damn Shame. Anytime somebody of that young age dies, it's a missed opportunity for all of us. But it can also be a learning experience. I don't think respecting the deceased will matter one way or the other. If it comes back he died from some kind of overdose, it will be a very very sad situation. And it will get much publicity. Let's hope he didn't kill himself using illicit drugs. I remain optimistic.

hugh
05-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear that he died at such a young age....
To the rest of the Baze clan.... kick some a$$ in his honor.
Peace be with you.

pandy
05-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I was a big fan of Michael Baze right from when I first started to see him ride in So. Cal., he was winning from off the pace all the time and I thought he may be the next Pat Day. This was very upsetting. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Bruiser1
05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
For anyone interested, a Memorial page has been set up on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michael-Baze-Memorial/153996047999592

Bruiser1
05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Another story on the passing of Michael Baze.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_18041482?source=rss

precocity
05-11-2011, 06:55 PM
R.I.P. michael....

nijinski
05-13-2011, 12:22 AM
There will be a Memorial held for Michael Baze at Churchill Downs tomorrow(Fri) after the fourth race. At the trackside winners circle.

Shelby
05-13-2011, 01:30 PM
:( Heart wrenching.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110512/SPORTS08/305120062/Baze-s-father-addiction-Why-didn-t-he-talk-me-?odyssey=nav|head

BillW
05-13-2011, 01:35 PM

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110512/SPORTS08/305120062/Baze-s-father-addiction-Why-didn-t-he-talk-me-?odyssey=nav|head

Fixed URL

affirmedny
05-13-2011, 11:57 PM

Good ol' John Veitch, he takes pettiness to a new level........

nijinski
05-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Good ol' John Veitch, he takes pettiness to a new level........

If you mean not letting his Dad take his saddle , he may legally have to turn his possessions over to his wife.

toetoe
05-14-2011, 02:37 AM

:confused:

That was very respectfully posted.

toussaud
06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
okay why are they reading the guys' toxicology report on hrtv? did it really need to be said?

Hanover1
06-03-2011, 06:46 PM
okay why are they reading the guys' toxicology report on hrtv? did it really need to be said?

To remove speculation? Fill empty air time? Just another windbag report about racing from folks with little concern for its participants, family, ect. The guy was a hard worker, admired by many, and trusted to get the job done at the top levels. Who really cares about the exact method of his demise. Let the man rest......

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Man, some strange ways of looking at things...

Using Hanover1 rose-colored-glasses logic, I must conclude they never should have reported his death in the first place...

This way, everyone can go on pretending he's simply been stuck in traffic all this time....

GatetoWire
06-03-2011, 08:10 PM
To remove speculation? Fill empty air time? Just another windbag report about racing from folks with little concern for its participants, family, ect. The guy was a hard worker, admired by many, and trusted to get the job done at the top levels. Who really cares about the exact method of his demise. Let the man rest......

About telling people how he died so that some good can come from this.

If just one person thinks about how Michael died and decides not to use drugs because of it, then it completely justifies releasing the info to the public.

Michael was a great rider but his drug addiction killed him. Hopefully his story will prevent others from following the same deadly path.

Hanover1
06-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Man, some strange ways of looking at things...

Using Hanover1 rose-colored-glasses logic, I must conclude they never should have reported his death in the first place...

This way, everyone can go on pretending he's simply been stuck in traffic all this time....

Once again-able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.....thank you yet again for the kind words. Your critique of my experience has been most enlightening. Its a shame you have to be a part of a sport that can feed some and ruin others. It certainly has you jaded.

Shelby
06-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm so so sorry this happened. It's such a tragedy. We all send our condolences to family and friends.

My opinion of the release of the report:

IF I were a relation ...mom...dad...extended family....friend...etc..

I would be a tiny bit relieved...(and that's not the word...)that it wasn't on purpose.

The Hawk
06-03-2011, 09:25 PM

This is a sad thread, but this made me laugh, I have to admit.

RIP Michael Baze.

duncan04
06-04-2011, 12:00 AM

If just one person thinks about how Michael died and decides not to use drugs because of it, then it completely justifies releasing the info to the public.

Michael was a great rider but his drug addiction killed him. Hopefully his story will prevent others from following the same deadly path.

Agree. Maybe if some other rider is facing the same demons hearing this may make him decide to get help.

On Spec
06-04-2011, 02:59 AM
It's possible the toxicology report is a public record made available to reporters and anyone else interested when there is a public investigation into a death due to unknown or suspicious circumstances, which would certainly be the case here. There may not have been a decision made to release the report -- the report is simply made available as a matter of full public disclosure.

That said, it is a sad thing. I liked what Mike Smith had to say about the report, something to the effect of "maybe it will make the young riders take notice of what can happen with drugs." THAT'S why people need to know how he died. Also makes you wonder what Mike Smith knows.

RIP Michael Baze.

Marshall Bennett
06-04-2011, 06:56 AM
I've never been into drugs, but seems to me effects of those two drugs taken together would be countereffective. Cocaine is a stimulant and the other a pain killer, what the hell was he doing?

098poi
06-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I've never been into drugs, but seems to me effects of those two drugs taken together would be countereffective. Cocaine is a stimulant and the other a pain killer, what the hell was he doing?

When it comes to drug addiction or alcoholism there is no logic involved with decision making. Cocaine is an extremely powerful drug that directly affects the brain. Of all the people in the world who drink alcohol an overwhelming majority are social drinkers. Many are born with a predisposition to alcoholism and even if Daddy didn't beat them and Mommy loved them enough there is still a good chance they will become alcoholics. Alcoholics can drink 10, 15 or more years before they hit some sort of bottom where they finally seek out some recovery. (assuming they don't die or go to jail first) Cocaine brings people to their knees much more quickly. There are very few social cocaine users. Interestingly (this being a racing forum) compulsive gambling can't kill you. The way that takes you is through suicide. I saw some report on 60 minutes that said gamblers have the highest suicide rates. We can say a prayer for Michael and his family and if any good comes of his loss it will be that someone in the racing community who has an alcohol or drug problem reaches out to get help. Help is available.

Hanover1
06-04-2011, 10:03 AM
This is a sad thread, but this made me laugh, I have to admit.

RIP Michael Baze.

Made me laugh too....a moderator that belittles participants on a forum. Gotta be great for retention and attracting new participants. Class act. Perhaps we should all just agree with him. Then we won't have to read the insults.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Made me laugh too....a moderator that belittles participants on a forum. Gotta be great for retention and attracting new participants. Class act. Perhaps we should all just agree with him. Then we won't have to read the insults.Insult? Hardly. Your position that the results of the coroner's findings in this very public death should be suppressed was ridiculous, and shows just how far you will go in your attempt to keep the rose-colored-glasses firmly wrapped around all aspects of this sport.

That's not an insult. It's a very real and very logical criticism. Big difference.

However, if playing the victim is what gets you through the day, more power to you. I doubt anyone else is buying it.

turninforhome10
06-04-2011, 10:53 AM

All through this thread we have been preaching about drug addiction and the what if's, but depression is a major killer. What came first the drug addiction or the depression. Achieving such success right out of the box put such a high standard on his personal expectations. If depression rears it's ugly head, then these expectations can become the catalyst for a spiral downward. Whenever we loose someone young to drugs, they are an addict is our first response. How many times have depression been the underlying reason for the addiction. So when PA says his drug addiction killed him, while this would be the cause for his physiological death, depression kills the spiritual being and without the spiritual strength, addiction comes a calling. How many addicts in our society have mental illness as the underlying cause for addiction. Maybe instead of scorning those addicts for their drug addiction, we can help their spiritual strength through better methods of depression treatment. What is the major treatment for depression? Drugs.
As someone who has suffered from Dysthymia for 20+ years and having been on and off anti-depression meds for the same, life is a roller coaster ride. Highest highs, lowest lows, but the modern psychiatric model does little to address the underlying reasons for depression. Just give you the drugs, tell you to wait six weeks for the med to start working and a half hour a week to pat you on the back and be your paid friend. The system does little to build spiritual strength. Something in the psyche is broken and meds are the answer 90% of the time. Learning to find strength in our own accomplishments is how we build our spiritual strength. When we don't have the system of self regulation in place we screwed from the get-go.
So I ask you did drugs kill Michael or an inadequate support structure within himself to be his own best friend. I am not trying to get all sob-sob here, just trying to express that inadequate treatment for depression, is a major reason for death from drug addiction. Was Michael an addict first or did depression speed his demise? Treat the spirit, not the addiction.

windoor
06-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Sympathy and prayers to Michael's family, most especially to his parents.

There cannot be a greater pain on this earth than that of having to bury one's child.

My condolences also.

So young, with a bright future.

No parent should outlive their children. It is indeed the worst thing that can happen to you. May you never find out why.

Regards,

Windoor

Hanover1
06-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Insult? Hardly. Your position that the results of the coroner's findings in this very public death should be suppressed was ridiculous, and shows just how far you will go in your attempt to keep the rose-colored-glasses firmly wrapped around all aspects of this sport.

That's not an insult. It's a very real and very logical criticism. Big difference.

However, if playing the victim is what gets you through the day, more power to you. I doubt anyone else is buying it.

Another cheap play on words to justify your position as a "moderator" who is biased about his own opinions to a point of insulting others that don't appeal to your senses. Just where do you get "coroners findings should be suppressed" in my posts? Created by yourself to justify your insults. I will quote once again: "Let the man rest". As far as my "rose colored glasses firmly wrapped around all aspects of the sport", It has fed my family well, and sent my children to college. Has this sport done that for you? thought not.....
After your latest insult, and my first reply, I got SEVERAL emails and a private message via Pace indicating a pattern of this from its moderator. Perhaps a little self examination is in order before your reply in the caustic manner you employ all to frequently. Regards, John Simpson Jr

Dahoss9698
06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Another day, another reminder from Hanover about what he's done in this business. Feels like the movie Groundhog Day.

FenceBored
06-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Another cheap play on words to justify your position as a "moderator" who is biased about his own opinions to a point of insulting others that don't appeal to your senses. Just where do you get "coroners findings should be suppressed" in my posts? Created by yourself to justify your insults. I will quote once again: "Let the man rest".

And just what was that supposed to mean if not "shh, don't talk about how he died?" If it were a random person found dead in their car in the parking lot of a mall there would be a follow-up article in the local paper with the general conclusions of the coroner's report. (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110603/SPORTS/306030099/Jockey-Michael-Baze-death-ruled-accidental-drug-overdose) Why would this case be any different? And if that person turned out to be a name in some industry, don't you think that industry's press would report on it? I think they would (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/46148/announcer-luke-kruytbosch-found-dead). The press reports are normal, natural, and unremarkable.

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Just where do you get "coroners findings should be suppressed" in my posts?Right here:

Just another windbag report about racing from folks with little concern for its participants, family, ect. The guy was a hard worker, admired by many, and trusted to get the job done at the top levels. Who really cares about the exact method of his demise.It's not a question about whether they care about the now departed Michael Baze or his family. The man was a well known participant on one of the biggest circuits in the country.

And you are saying out of respect for the family, they shouldn't be going around reporting his cause of death? (meaning, the media should SUPPRESS the coroner's findings)

Utterly ridiculous.

This board has thrived going on 12 years now. I must be doing something right.

BetCrazyGirl
06-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Who really cares about the exact method of his demise. Let the man rest......

Wow, I'm completely shock by this statement. When someone dies that are not of natural causes and espeically someone so young like Michael Baze was, it is ALWAYS important to know how he/she died to get a better understanding of the sitution in hopes this won't happen to someone again.

toetoe
06-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Toussaud and Hanover,

I share your sentiments, but think about it. If the ghouls in the press didn't race to be the first to tell all, Charlie Sheen wouldn't exist. Nor would a million other "celebrities." It's what the press do. A public figure has no exemption from the postmortem tawdriness.

Again, I share your sentiments.

Bruddah
06-06-2011, 10:28 AM
This is really important for all to note. Michael's death is another sad comment on drugs in our society. In particular the toll they take on our young people and the ruined lives that come afterward if they can cheat death. (can you say PVal)

Volumes can be written about the Stars which have burned out, do to drugs. A course requiring young people to learn about these high profile personalities and the destruction of their lives should be required learning. Show them the truth, while most are willing to listen. I'm not talking about a 1 hour movie but a 1 semester requirement when they enter junior high school. We rquire them to learn to drive an automobile but never teach them about a huge speed bump (drugs) they can encounter in life.

As always, Just my Opinion.

Rackon
06-06-2011, 11:52 AM
This might work for a few folks with a recovered user teaching the class, but I think you have to reach people some other way. In most schools, if it would ever happen, the course would be a joke, nor would it reach the most susceptible. You have to deal with the underlying reasons people use drugs in the first place. If scaring straight in a classroom worked it would have worked a long time ago.

CryingForTheHorses
06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
This is really important for all to note. Michael's death is another sad comment on drugs in our society. In particular the toll they take on our young people and the ruined lives that come afterward if they can cheat death. (can you say PVal)

Volumes can be written about the Stars which have burned out, do to drugs. A course requiring young people to learn about these high profile personalities and the destruction of their lives should be required learning. Show them the truth, while most are willing to listen. I'm not talking about a 1 hour movie but a 1 semester requirement when they enter junior high school. We rquire them to learn to drive an automobile but never teach them about a huge speed bump (drugs) they can encounter in life.

This is a very sad case for all involved,I have seen this far too often.The bottom line is you cant help anyone who doesnt help themselves.All the drug rehab and support this guy could have gotten would only help him if he wanted it.Kid had a good life on the track but who knows what else was bothering him.Everybody knows right from wrong and he knew he was flirting with death everytime he took that crap.This may be blunt but he did it to himself with no thinking of who it would affect. Shame on him for hurting and leaving so many unanswered questions to his friends and family I think its prettly selffish on his part.Big condolunces to his family and many friends RIP

nijinski
06-07-2011, 06:18 AM
This is a very sad case for all involved,I have seen this far too often.The bottom line is you cant help anyone who doesnt help themselves.All the drug rehab and support this guy could have gotten would only help him if he wanted it.Kid had a good life on the track but who knows what else was bothering him.Everybody knows right from wrong and he knew he was flirting with death everytime he took that crap.This may be blunt but he did it to himself with no thinking of who it would affect. Shame on him for hurting and leaving so many unanswered questions to his friends and family I think its prettly selffish on his part.Big condolunces to his family and many friends RIP

Obviously he had his weaknesses and it's likely he was lacking maturity and in need of direction.
I think it's a bit harsh though to say he was selfish , we didn't walk in his shoes .

windoor
06-07-2011, 12:38 PM

I like your opinion.

As a child of the sixties, I have seen my share of deaths and insanity from drug abuse. I was one of the lucky ones.

Regards,

Windoor