PDA

View Full Version : Velazquez and Irwin agree to share Kentucky Derby winnings with Albarado

andymays
05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/velazquez-and-irwin-agree-share-kentucky-derby-winnings-albarado

Excerpt:

Irwin announced Tuesday that Albarado “is being taken care of” in the aftermath of bad feelings that emanated from the series of events that unfolded prior the Derby. Albarado suffered a broken nose and other facial injuries in a pre-race accident Wednesday at Churchill, then took off his mounts Thursday and Friday to heal up for Saturday. On Friday morning, however, Irwin announced that he was not comfortable with Albarado staying aboard Animal Kingdom and replaced him with Velazquez, who had become available with the defection of Uncle Mo from the Derby field.

“Obviously we don’t feel that good about all that happened,” said Irwin. “I don’t think it would be appropriate to disclose the amount of money that’s involved.”

Spiderman
05-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Whatever the amount, Albarado should donate it to a charity and get some good karma.

Bruddah
05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Whatever the amount, Albarado should donate it to a charity and get some good karma.

You can be sure his wife's attorney is making plans for a goodly portion.

point given
05-10-2011, 05:14 PM

Maybe some of it, but he surely needs it for legal fees from that dust up with the wife . Hasnot been a good year for him as he had a heel injury and missed a couple of monthes at Fairgrounds, then the wife beating, then a bad Keeneland meet, then the horse stomping on his face and then losing the mount on AK.

Beat me to the punch Bruddah.

Stillriledup
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Note to Barry and JV, Give cash. ;)

Grits
05-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Spidey, Robbie may not have as much problem with karma as one may believe. He has helped many for a good while now through his work with his charity--his own foundation--maybe some of you guys are not aware of it.

One can feel, he'll appreciate JV and Mr.Irwin's sharing of the winnings and he'll put it to good use. Somehow, I don't believe it will all go to legal fees.

http://www.robbyalbaradofoundation.org/

We all make mistakes, and I'm not, in any way, condoning the one Robbie or Eibar made. The reality, though, is we don't know what is involved in the mistakes of those other than ourselves. We can assume, we can voice our anger, still, we aren't there. We don't know exactly what transpired.

Robbie, will heal, I hope, in every way. He's done many good things. He'll continue to.

Spiderman
05-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Spidey, Robbie may not have as much problem with karma as one may believe. He has helped many for a good while now through his work with his charity--his own foundation--maybe some of you guys are not aware of it.

One can feel, he'll appreciate JV and Mr.Irwin's sharing of the winnings and he'll put it to good use. Somehow, I don't believe it will all go to legal fees.

We all make mistakes, and I'm not, in any way, condoning the one Robbie or Eibar made. The reality, though, is we don't know what is involved in the mistakes of those other than ourselves. We can assume, we can voice our anger, still, we aren't there. We don't know exactly what transpired.

Robbie, will heal, I hope, in every way. He's done many good things. He'll continue to.

The charity is good. Note that all events have been cancelled this year. He is really having a bad streak.

ukbro00
05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Maybe Karma does exist in racing...First Eibar Coa is accused of abusing his wife and within a month gets thrown from his mount, then Robby.

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2011, 09:19 PM
This was definitely a CLASSY move...major :ThmbUp: to both Mr. Irwin and Johnny V.

SeattleSlew@BP
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I would have given him whatever finishing 5th is worth...

Where the horse would have placed had Albarado been aboard :)

classhandicapper
05-10-2011, 09:31 PM
This was definitely a CLASSY move...major :ThmbUp: to both Mr. Irwin and Johnny V.

I was thinking to myself after the race that giving him something would be a really nice gesture, but I dismissed it on the assumption they wouldn't share the spoils. It's nice to find out I underrate people sometimes.

Edward DeVere
05-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I think I would have informed Mr. Albarado - sotto voce - that I was making a donation to a domestic abuse charity in his name.

Relwob Owner
05-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I cant help but wonder-why announce that they are doing it?

Shelby
05-10-2011, 10:04 PM

I see what you're saying, but I would have announced it, too. IMO, many people probably thought that Robbie got a raw deal...and, I have to say that I think he did, too. I'm happy for Irwin and Valezquez--no question. And, I can't say that I blame Irwin for his choice. However, Robbie did ride well Saturday....so, I think it was the right thing to do.

Relwob Owner
05-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I see what you're saying, but I would have announced it, too. IMO, many people probably thought that Robbie got a raw deal...and, I have to say that I think he did, too. I'm happy for Irwin and Valezquez--no question. And, I can't say that I blame Irwin for his choice. However, Robbie did ride well Saturday....so, I think it was the right thing to do.

The skeptical side of me cant help but think that announcing it was at least partially due to how many feathers he ruffled with his post race comments. In my opinion, there was no need at all to announce it. Do what you think is the right thing to do and move on.

Stillriledup
05-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Its the same reason people bang their chests and stick out their prideful chins after they donate to charity....you want to look like a 'good person' if you do something like this.

Of course, if you were really a good person you would just give the money and not tell anyone....by telling the world, it looks as if you're doing it just to look like a 'class act' in the end.

Beachbabe
05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
By rights neither Irwin or JV had to do anything. The fact that they did what they did, is praiseworthy.
They announced it because they are in the public eye. Millions of people know what happened (how Albarado lost the mount, etc). It was public knowledge because it was written about and detailed on national TV.
So, imo, what these two men did, should be public knowledge also.

MickJ26
05-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Sorry, I haven't read anything anywhere. Who's getting the Preakness mount, Johnny V. or Robby?
Thanks.

toetoe
05-11-2011, 02:42 AM
How about a $5,000 win bet ?

toetoe
05-11-2011, 02:44 AM

Maybe just a good crotchkicking.

Fastracehorse
05-11-2011, 04:29 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/velazquez-and-irwin-agree-share-kentucky-derby-winnings-albarado

Excerpt:

Irwin announced Tuesday that Albarado “is being taken care of” in the aftermath of bad feelings that emanated from the series of events that unfolded prior the Derby. Albarado suffered a broken nose and other facial injuries in a pre-race accident Wednesday at Churchill, then took off his mounts Thursday and Friday to heal up for Saturday. On Friday morning, however, Irwin announced that he was not comfortable with Albarado staying aboard Animal Kingdom and replaced him with Velazquez, who had become available with the defection of Uncle Mo from the Derby field.

“Obviously we don’t feel that good about all that happened,” said Irwin. “I don’t think it would be appropriate to disclose the amount of money that’s involved.”

........it's a nice gesture but Albarado missed the opportunity of a life time.

fffastt

depalma113
05-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Since Johnny V is in the giving mood, maybe he can give me the money I got screwed out of with Life at Ten.

overthehill
05-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Johnny V made some nice post race comments about robbie alberado, which he certainly did not have to do. He comes across as a class act.

onefast99
05-11-2011, 08:55 AM
The skeptical side of me cant help but think that announcing it was at least partially due to how many feathers he ruffled with his post race comments. In my opinion, there was no need at all to announce it. Do what you think is the right thing to do and move on.
It was a nice gesture and you hit it right on the head after those unneccessary comments Irwin made minutes after Ak won the Derby he needed to do or say something positive

Rapid Grey
05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
........it's a nice gesture but Albarado missed the opportunity of a life time.

fffastt

Albarado has had his Derby oppurtunity of a life time, remember Curlin?

I feel bad for him losing the mount but to assume he would have won as well is absurd. I've watched him ride too many races.

Linny
05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I haven't read anything anywhere. Who's getting the Preakness mount, Johnny V. or Robby?
Thanks.

JV will ride Animal Kingdom, Robby has King Congie.

Pine Tree Lane
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM

How delicious would it be if King Congie upsets Animal Kingdom?

Two down and one to go for high tier syndicates.

MickJ26
05-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Many thanks, Linny.

Fastracehorse
05-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Albarado has had his Derby oppurtunity of a life time, remember Curlin?

I feel bad for him losing the mount but to assume he would have won as well is absurd. I've watched him ride too many races.

..........about one thing

Velazquez's ride was very cool - i know this is mean, but when Johnny split those horses, from the overhead view; i kept thinking if that was Desormeaux he would have bumped one of those horses

very cool ride by Johnny

fffastt

Grits
05-12-2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/albarado-learns-grin-and-bear-it-after-losing-kentucky-derby-mount

It’s important how high you can reach in your career, but at some point it’s the obstacles you overcome that matter,” Albarado said. “I have to be strong for my kids, to show them how I can handle this adversity, and learn from failure. I’ve been through a lot and they’ve been through it with me. Not everyone’s perfect.”
Albarado declined to go into the specifics of his domestic troubles, even though they had become painfully public.

“No one should have an opinion about another person’s household – at least that’s how I feel,” Albarado said. “I will say I’ve learned more in the last five months than in the first 37 years of my life, I can tell you that. I’ve grown up. What’s happened I hope has made me a better person.

Wishing young Michael Baze had known how to overcome some of these obstacles. So terribly young.