PDA

View Full Version : The Wrestler

sonnyp
05-10-2011, 04:04 PM
i don't know if anybody here cares about movies, but at 8:00 est on FX, direct TV channel 248, they're showing "the wrestler".

mickey rourke acts his ass off in what i found to be a touching portrayal of a guy who's washed up, but can't do anything else.

it kind of reminded me of "requiem for a heavyweight" and i think if you liked that, you'll like this.

bigmack
05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I dug Rourke in Diner. That popcorn trick was inspirational. It had a different effect when I did it.

These days, 9.2 out of 10 movies suck real bad. Real bad. Mondo Bad.

I was over at a chums joint the other night and he was watching a new K.Bacon film, Elephant White. The accent he was using was enough for me to bust a gut. I'll grab a ditty one of these days and post it up here. Funny stuff.

Villains. Ya gotta love 'em.

QQHC2X_udLQ

toetoe
05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Elephant White.

Why, that's the color of the walls in Rosie's love nest. Cabinets and dishwasher are done in Until-There's-a-Cure Pink. Carpeting is a custom shade --- Peanut Butter/Rubyfruit Munch.

sonnyp
05-10-2011, 06:24 PM
physically, you won't recognize rourke from his younger days. much plastic surgery and botox. he dropped out and made many enemies. this was his "comeback" film.

another plus is bruce springsteen does the music.

here's the trailer:

http://youtu.be/61-GFxjTyV0

TJDave
05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
He should have won the Oscar. However, this was the year that the Cal 'gay marriage' prop was in the spotlight. IMO, a purely political decision gave Sean Penn the Oscar for his role in Milk.

Dave Schwartz
05-10-2011, 06:41 PM
There were parts of that movie I found to be unpleasant, but that was the subject matter. The acting was superb.

sonnyp
05-10-2011, 07:09 PM
There were parts of that movie I found to be unpleasant, but that was the subject matter. The acting was superb.

dave,

which film are you referring to, the wrestler or milk ?

i actually liked the wrestler more than mark whalberg's recent film "the fighter".

highnote
05-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I didn't like The Wrestler or Milk all that much. They weren't bad and I'm glad I watched them, but they are not anywhere near the top of my favorite movie list.

Dave Schwartz
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Sonny,

I was referring to the Wrestler. I did not see Milk.

It was not my, uh, cup of...
:lol:

Dave

ElKabong
05-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Marisa Tomei is my cup of tea.....she was in her early - mid 40s when she did that movie (wrestler). What a body for a woman of 40+.

Tom
05-11-2011, 07:49 AM

He had his thumb on the scale when he dished out the egg salad. That upset me.

sonnyp
05-11-2011, 11:11 AM
last nite was the 1st time i tried to watch a movie on a channel like this. never again. the commercials, WOW !!!! how the hell do you follow a plot ?

so frequent and soooo many !!! 8 or 9 per, it's ridiculous and destroys the movie you're trying to follow. terrible.

ArlJim78
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
It's in my netflix queue, but I also watched it last night on cable, knowing how bad the commericial breaks can be. It was just okay, the wrestling parts were interesting, behind the scenes at the low level venues. But I thought the plot was weak when it came to his daughter and the Marisa Tomei character.
I liked his scenes behind the deli counter. Compared to the typical Hollywood drivel it was pretty good.
Of course any movie with Marisa Tomei is one I'm going to watch.

elysiantraveller
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM
In theaters, the Source Code was very good. The ending... egh... but as a whole it was a very good movie.

Dave Schwartz
05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Did you know...

If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber (i.e. $79 per year for unlimited 2nd-day shipping) you can download from their NetFlix-like service FOR FREE? Last I heard, they had 5,000 movies online (which is more than NetFlix has available for download)!

Dave

xfile
05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Marisa Tomei is my cup of tea.....she was in her early - mid 40s when she did that movie (wrestler). What a body for a woman of 40+.

BINGO....Madon

chickenhead
05-20-2011, 05:12 PM
I've used both the amazon and netflix streaming on my tv....the catalogues are similar, but I like the netflix player and experience quite a bit more. Still, prime is a great deal and its nice they include it.