PDA

View Full Version : So the BIG unanswered question...who rides AK in

sammy the sage
05-10-2011, 08:03 AM
the Preakness?

Just like in other sports...is there a code?

or can you lose your starting job permanently to injury...

or will JV step aside...

Me thinks trainer will WANT to keep JV in the saddle..

after all...if RA is in the saddle during the derby...no WAY does AK get ducked in and cut through the hole to the inside and win that race...no way...they don't call 'em wide right RA for nothing...

FenceBored
05-10-2011, 08:21 AM
the Preakness?

Just like in other sports...is there a code?

or can you lose your starting job permanently to injury...

or will JV step aside...

Me thinks trainer will WANT to keep JV in the saddle..

after all...if RA is in the saddle during the derby...no WAY does AK get ducked in and cut through the hole to the inside and win that race...no way...they don't call 'em wide right RA for nothing...

Good question, but let's not forget that Albarado wasn't the colts' long time rider. It's not as though he'd been on him every race prior to the Derby. While it would have been Albarado's 2nd time up, AK has now had a different rider in every one of his races. Alan Garcia had the mount when he earned the money that got him into the Derby, so maybe if Soldat isn't going in the Preakness he has a better claim on the mount than Albarado, but less than JV.

lamboguy
05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
johnnie v owns the right to ride aniaml kingdom. the unwritten rule is never take a rider off a horse that won a stakes race last time unless the rider wants out.

rastajenk
05-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Like Calvin did. Does Pletcher have an unknown superstar on his bench that demands JV to be on his back?

Grits
05-10-2011, 09:18 AM
It would be the surprise of the year (aside from taking out Bin Laden) if JV takes off this colt. If Mr.Irwin asks him to remain on Animal Kingdom, one can't imagine, regardless what Todd may have plans to enter, that JV would not want to ride the colt that put him in the winners circle on Derby day. Nor could I imagine Todd Pletcher asking him to take off the colt.

. . . . could certainly be wrong; but would be surprised.

OFFandRUNNING10
05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Dance City is the Pletcher horse that is likely for the Preakness. However, Castellano has been the jockey with him and likely will remain this way. I honestly feel that Pletcher would not even ask JV to get off animal kingdom. They both have a lot of respect for each other and I do not think Pletcher would put his main man in that situation...Just my thoughts

nijinski
05-10-2011, 01:09 PM
I agree with most here that JV should have the mount.
I think there would be be too much pressure for Robby to handle
and his handling of his personal matters plus the injury and added
pressure is not a great formula , might be too distracting or possibly
make him feel he has to prove himself . Bad timing , but maybe a good
time for him to reflect and move forward with change.

Dahoss9698
05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't see it as an issue or an unanswered question at all. Velazquez will ride the colt regardless of who Pletcher or anyone else enters.

The Borel situation with Rachel was an extreme situation that I don't think we'll see again anytime soon.

willcall
05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
JV all day, it happens and riders know it.

Spendabuck85
05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
From drf.com
Robby Albarado, who was taken off eventual Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom the day before the race, has picked up the mount on King Congie for the $1 million Preakness on May 21, a race in which he will face Animal Kingdom at Pimlico.

http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-albarado-ride-king-congie