PDA

View Full Version : And The Beat Goes On.....

sonnyp
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
in it's never ending quest to acquire every last detail of your existence and moving about, big brother a.k.a. chucky shummer, is now proposing the need for a tsa type credential i.d. and search to use the trains.

and the beat goes on in the name of the patriot act and the war on terrorism.

JustRalph
05-09-2011, 12:16 PM
in it's never ending quest to acquire every last detail of your existence and moving about, big brother a.k.a. chucky shummer, is now proposing the need for a tsa type credential i.d. and search to use the trains.

and the beat goes on in the name of the patriot act and the war on terrorism.

in light of what was found on Bin Laden's computers.........this comes out.

lamboguy
05-09-2011, 12:19 PM
they should make some horse trails so we don't need to get on airplanes and trains and save on gasoline!

sonnyp
05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
when our lives become so scrutinized, when our government digs deeper into our comings and goings, when big brother thirsts for every last detail, have the terrorists not won ?

Hanover1
05-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Won't be long and they will be rationing out the Vodka......

Tape Reader
05-09-2011, 08:02 PM
IMO, reverse engineering.

Wait till you see what else Obama stuffs into that "treasure trove" for additional taxes.

Separately, "announcing" that we now have your phone number, is the stupidest s--t in espionage. Unless you hate America.

Dave Schwartz
05-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Call me simplistic, but it seems obvious to me that the biggest danger with trains comes from outside rather than within.

Do I have this wrong?

sonnyp
05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Call me simplistic, but it seems obvious to me that the biggest danger with trains comes from outside rather than within.

Do I have this wrong?

way,way too simple for washington to figure out.

meanwhile, the railroads have cut their police forces to next to nothing and refuse to fence any part of the tracks

Tom
05-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Do I have this wrong?

You do if it is Amtrak.....:rolleyes:

Or this guy is on your train....
SgfHz792Kqs

TJDave
05-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm amazed at the lax security for train traveling. I occasionally take the coaster out of San Diego for points North. There is ZERO security...NADA.

Ocala Mike
05-09-2011, 11:14 PM
These "no fly" and "no ride" lists seem to be equally abhorred by both conservatives and liberals.

Anyway, here's Amtrak's latest augmentation to its security force (from a blog):

"Railfans & Passengers Recruited to Observe & Report
April 22nd, 2011 Do you love trains and enjoy fighting crime in your spare time? Amtrak and The Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway Company (BNSF) have jobs for you complete with official identification cards! BNSF has been doing this since 2006 under the Citizens for Rail Security program but now Amtrak has joined in with their Partners for Amtrak Safety and Security program. Picture, if you will, a neighborhood watch for railroads where railfans and, in Amtrak’s case, rail passengers report suspicious activities.

Once you sign up online you are able to print out your very own membership card. You are also given some direction about what type of activities qualify as suspicious. This includes things like: trespassers, unattended vehicles, suspicious objects/packages, suspicious activities or people all on or near railroad property, crimes in progress like vandalism or theft, threats against the railroad, gates left open or damaged, track obstructions, potential mechanical problems with trains and illegal dumping.

So, you’ve seen something suspicious! Both Amtrak and BNSF make it pretty clear, just because you have a special badge doesn’t mean they want you to go take care of it. What they want you to do is report it! This is where the card comes in handy, as it has the number they would like you to call to report your particular flavor of suspicious activity. Before you call they want you to note some specifics first, here it is helpful to pretend you are a newspaper reporter and note the 6 W’s: Who, What, When, Where, Why, How.

» Who is being suspicious? Describe them, their vehicle….
» What is suspicious? Describe what you saw, what occurred….
» Where is the suspiciousness? Explain where the issue is, include streets or mile markers….
» When was it suspicious? Relate when this happened, or when you noticed it….
» Why/How is it suspicious? How doesn’t start with a ‘w’ but it’s in the list; include any other information that might help the police or railroad personnel.

Now, I know you are really liking this badge situation and feel pretty special. Like you have a special ‘in’ with the railroads but wait! There’s more…. The railroads want to make sure you understand that this isn’t an invitation to trespass. You are supposed to report trespassers, not become one! That would defeat the whole purpose. Don’t trespass even to answer the 6 W’s. Restricted areas include places like: employee areas, maintenance facilities, unoccupied trains, engines, or maintenance vehicles, office areas, baggage areas, delivery areas, commissaries, right-of-way areas, track areas, and in-service train cars. Then there are the tracks, don’t walk on the tracks! That’s a big no-no. It’s highly illegal and highly dangerous. Only cross tracks at roadway crossings or designated pedestrian areas and when taking photos of trains always do it at least 15 feet from the closest rail.

Of course, we should all be reporting suspicious activity whether we have a special identification card or not. However, you may want to consider signing up with Amtrak or BNSF since the cards are handy for reminding us of rules around railroads and for providing the phone numbers to contact authorities in case of suspicious activities or safety hazards. Oh, and then there is the cool factor. I printed mine on card stock to give it that extra little ’something’. Now, I just need a laminator to preserve my fancy ID cards for all time…"

Ocala Mike

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Didn't Obama just say the world was safer with Osama dead? He said that during his famous Sunday speech, did he not?

My cynical side says that if that was Bush who killed OBL, the left-leaners on here would claim he killed him only so he could ramp up more civil-liberty crushing legislation, like TSA searches on trains, on the highway, in the grocery store, in your own bathroom... :lol:

newtothegame
05-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Didn't Obama just say the world was safer with Osama dead? He said that during his famous Sunday speech, did he not?

My cynical side says that if that was Bush who killed OBL, the left-leaners on here would claim he killed him only so he could ramp up more civil-liberty crushing legislation, like TSA searches on trains, on the highway, in the grocery store, in your own bathroom... :lol:

I'm not sure about the world Mike but, im betting the U.S would be safer from some of his legislation lol

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Oh shit...I pulled an Elkabong/Norah O'Donnell just then didn't I? Good thing I have the ability to clean that up before the black helicopters arrive... :lol:

rastajenk
05-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Watched Lawrence of Arabia last night. It took an Englishman to teach them how to wreck some serious train havoc.

Not sure exactly what my point is, but it seemed timely, if nothing else. :)