PDA

View Full Version : CALIFORNIA FIRES

shanta
10-29-2003, 09:30 AM
I MAKE A POINT EVERY NIGHT NO MATTER WHAT TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH THE NEWS WITH MY FAMILY. THIS HAS BEEN SORT OF A TRADITION IN OUR HOUSEHOLD FOR 20 PLUS YEARS NOW. WE CAN NOT BELIEVE THE DEVASTATION THAT WE ARE SEEING FROM THE FIRES IN CALIFORNIA.THE FEROCITY OF THE FLAMES AND THE LARGE AREA THAT IS ON FIRE REALLY BRING HOME HOW IMPORTANT OUR FIREFIGHTERS ARE AND WHERE WE WOULD BE WITHOUT THEM! THE OTHER THING IS BEING FROM THE EAST COAST I REALLY DO NOT HAVE A TRUE UNDERSTANDING OF HOW POWERFUL THE SANTA ANA WINDS CAN BE. THE FILM THAT WE HAVE BEEN WATCHING IS TRULY SCARY. OUR FAMILIES PRAYERS GO OUT TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE AFFECTED BY THIS .
RICHIE

so.cal.fan
10-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Richie.

Lefty
10-29-2003, 12:19 PM
And just maybe if the wacko environmentalists had permitted the clearing of dead trees and brush and more thinning of the forests had been done, then just maybe this fire wouldn't be as devastating.
Another thing, if the two suspects (so far) are cght, they should be tried for murder and the death penalty should be "on the table."

so.cal.fan
10-29-2003, 12:30 PM
That is an interesting point, Lefty, however you must also consider that over development of the hillsides is not a real good idea either.
We voted down the building of a High School in our hillsides because it was basically to be built on a "triangle of death"
Earthquake fault, fire zone, flood zone.

freeneasy
10-29-2003, 01:33 PM
ok lefty, but you can know this, and that is, when these two men are caught their defense will probably be to plead some form of involentary manslaughter and possibly combined with some form of an insanity defense to fit the reasoning why they are so compelled with setting fires and that this fire was only set to satisfy this compulsive sickness and was never ment or intended to harm anyones physical life, that is if they plead not guilty.

JustRalph
10-29-2003, 02:24 PM
I got an email last night from a city close to my house in California. I had signed up their "email alerts" for jobs and information. They were telling me that they are evacuating a large area about 40 miles from my house. They wanted to make sure I was ready to go if the winds changed. They must assume that everybody on their list is in the city. Interesting. I sold the house last week. The new owner is in. I am glad I am out of there. It is cold and windy here in Ohio today, but I am not worried about the house burning down. Of course I was thinking about doing some cooking.........so I am not out of the woods yet

Tom
10-29-2003, 10:07 PM
I remeber a Jonny Carson line years ago on the Tonight Show...
"Good news-the mud slides are putting out the forrest fires!"
Not meant to be funny, but YIKES! California must be cursed.
If you miss the fires, avoid the mudslides, and don't fall into an earthquake, you probably get oft by a serial killer!
Did you see that news van that got trapped in the fire today-talk about narrow escapes.
Once again, when the chips are down, you can count on some unknown fireman to show up and save the day. Then not even have time to stop and talk-just back off to work. Seems ironic that these guys are out there putting it all on the line for peanuts and NBA /NFL/MLB slobs are throwing around terms like superstars and crying for more and more money to do that stupid little meaningless thing they do. I think our priorities are a little screwed up here.

kenwoodallpromos
10-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Sometimes terrain makes fire hard to stop. Got close to us in Redding Ca a few years back. I hope for the best. A lot of labor involved in thinning or clearing without a profit motive. Curesed? Only with all the types of geography and scenery of all other states combined!!

JustRalph
10-30-2003, 12:15 AM
They had a 3.1 quake near Northridge today.....and one yesterday too....... right in the middle of all of this crap and the ground starts shaking.......amazing........

Lefty
10-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Kenwood, before E-wackos got involved people were allowed to go into the forest and take dead trees for firewood. I understand that's no longer allowed and you can be arrested for doing it.
Besides, what's wrong with the profit motive? The E-wackos need to realize trees are a renewable crop and are not deities.