PDA

View Full Version : No Derby pity for Albarado

molson721
05-08-2011, 08:14 AM
I find it tough to feel bad for a guy who a few weeks earlier was found ALLEGEDLY physically assaulting his wife and ALLEGEDLY tried to strangle her so hard, he left his hand print marks around her neck. I think its called kharma Robby.

Stillriledup
05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Why would you have Derby pity, this horse won because it had one of the best jockeys in the world riding him. Its not like Albarado would have had this horse in the same exact position. Its like the Chantal version of Mine That Bird on the tv show jockeys, she was like "i would have won the derby". Uh no, you wouldnt have. Same situation here.

Valuist
05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Why would you have Derby pity, this horse won because it had one of the best jockeys in the world riding him. Its not like Albarado would have had this horse in the same exact position. Its like the Chantal version of Mine That Bird on the tv show jockeys, she was like "i would have won the derby". Uh no, you wouldnt have. Same situation here.

LOL. No way would Chantal Sutherland have taken the rail route with Mine That Bird.

But apparently Calvin doesn't always adapt. Riding on a day where the rail and inner paths were sure death, he tried to rally up the inside to no avail with Twice the Appeal.

Dahoss9698
05-08-2011, 08:42 PM
LOL. No way would Chantal Sutherland have taken the rail route with Mine That Bird.

But apparently Calvin doesn't always adapt. Riding on a day where the rail and inner paths were sure death, he tried to rally up the inside to no avail with Twice the Appeal.

Borel's ride on Capt. Candyman Can cost him the race earlier in the day also. Been a rough couple of months for Calvin.

Rapid Grey
05-08-2011, 10:26 PM
To be fair there are not a lot of jockeys who would have won on Mine That Bird other than Borel, Albarado or Velazquez would not have. You hardly ever see either one of them within two or three paths from the rail, unless they are on a speed horse.

cj
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
To be fair there are not a lot of jockeys who would have won on Mine That Bird other than Borel, Albarado or Velazquez would not have. You hardly ever see either one of them within two or three paths from the rail, unless they are on a speed horse.

The horse won by a football field. I would say he would have won even without a rail trip unless he was stopped. Most competent jockeys would have won the race on the horse that day.

FlyinLate
05-08-2011, 10:46 PM
The horse won by a football field. I would say he would have won even without a rail trip unless he was stopped. Most competent jockeys would have won the race on the horse that day.

Completely disagree. Yes he crushed them and stormed home, but there is a big difference ducking to the rail and saving all the ground then hitting the turn 9 wide, the lengths he won by would be long gone by the time he turned for home. He was able to spurt away so quickly because Calvin kept him at full speed right through the rail without having to even hesitate at any point. Very few, if any, other jockeys would have won that day.

affirmedny
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm giving my derby pity to Jinks Fires. He waits 45 years to get to the derby, has about 30 relatives on hand, and his horse got taken off in a van. Tough game....

Stillriledup
05-09-2011, 01:03 AM

I think if trainer instructions were to take the horse very far back, make one run and stay on the rail no matter what, than yes, i think many riders would have won. On the other hand, if Calvin changed Bird's style all on his own, i'm not so sure if any other rider would have won. Bird was seperated from the pack and not niggled at all to keep up, other riders might have had some panic being so far back and pushed this horse too early. He wouldnt have had the same kick. Most other jocks would have pushed the horse to keep up and when they hit the far turn, would have sent the horse very wide.

I think some other jocks would probably have won with him that day, but i don't necessarily agree that most competent jocks would have.

This was a unique perfect storm and Calvin was a huge part of it.

Stillriledup
05-09-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm giving my derby pity to Jinks Fires. He waits 45 years to get to the derby, has about 30 relatives on hand, and his horse got taken off in a van. Tough game....

Here here. Feel terrible for Jinks and Jon, tough break and very disappointing when you know you have a very good horse and legit shot to win. To lose a horse like this is crushing, horses like this don't come around every day.