PDA

View Full Version : And its onto the Preakness...

Smarty Cide
05-08-2011, 07:59 AM
So I guess we might as welll start thinking Preakness.

Who do you think is going? When will the field start to take shape? DO we get a full field? Can Animal KIngdom do it?

Smarty Cide
05-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Wonder if we see The Factor?

Smarty Cide
05-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Looks like so far confirmed is

Animal Kingdom
Flashpoint
Norman Asbjornson
Mr. Commons
Sway Away
King Conjie

anyone got any info on any of those horses outside of animal kingdom?

Some_One
05-08-2011, 01:16 PM
So if your Zito and chasing a 5.5 million bonus, do you pay to enter a rabbit or two to try and set it up for Dialed In?

OFFandRUNNING10
05-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Dialed In and Mucho Macho Man both confirmed they will be in if they are healthy. Asmussen said they will decide over the next few days on Nehro...which really surprises me. This horse has run 3 times in 6 weeks and now considering bringing him back again in 2 weeks?!? Give him a break... come back fresh for the belmont. Why push him?

Some_One
05-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Drf says Nehro will pass and wait till Belmont

OFFandRUNNING10
05-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Drf says Nehro will pass and wait till Belmont

Ok maybe that is more updated then... I read they will consider on Bloodhorse this afternoon. Makes most sense not to run him.

Also Stay Thirsty is out. Dance City being considered.

Grits
05-08-2011, 02:42 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62952/graham-motion-yesterday-was-surreal

http://www.drf.com/news/zito-willing-chase-55m-preakness-bonus-beaten-kentucky-derby-favorite-dialed

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-runner-nehro-likely-bypass-preakness-belmont-stakes

Mineshaft
05-08-2011, 05:04 PM
So if your Zito and chasing a 5.5 million bonus, do you pay to enter a rabbit or two to try and set it up for Dialed In?

for 5.5 mill you do anything it takes plain and simple

Plain Steve
05-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I would certainly think Shackelford will be there, shorter race and tighter turns; and I don't think Pants on Fire or Comma to the Top will be interested in challenging him again on the front.
Uncle Mo, whether retired by then or not, probably wont' be ready.

Mineshaft
05-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Pants on Fire bled so this might be too quick a turnaround depending on the severity of the bleeding.

Jasonm921
05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Barry Irwin stating that he is not sure if the time between races is enough for the horse and has not committed to the Preakness yet.

WTF?

andtheyreoff
05-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Pants on Fire bled so this might be too quick a turnaround depending on the severity of the bleeding.

Pants on Fire is off the trail according to DRF, next start will be in the Haskell on July 31.

Barry Irwin stating that he is not sure if the time between races is enough for the horse and has not committed to the Preakness yet.

WTF?

Neither DRF nor Bloodhorse is reporting such a thing. What is your source?

Jasonm921
05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Paulick. The main headline is Irwin hedging.

Jasonm921
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
So Pants on Fire will have one race in 4 1/2 months. Oh yeah he is a must play in that race lol.

Striker
05-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Looks like so far confirmed is

Animal Kingdom
Flashpoint
Norman Asbjornson
Mr. Commons
Sway Away
King Conjie

anyone got any info on any of those horses outside of animal kingdom?
Add Prime Cut for Howard in there

Smarty Cide
05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
"I'm pretty sure we're going to do it, but I want to talk about it," [part owner Barry Irwin] of Animal Kingdom said Sunday. "I'm a careful guy, so let's see how he's doing. If you've got a horse that's amazing, you can go for the Preakness. But your regular, average Derby winner has a real tough time coming back."

his owner is calling him average.

i guess it will be safe to bet against him in the preakness

Dahoss9698
05-09-2011, 12:23 PM
"I'm pretty sure we're going to do it, but I want to talk about it," [part owner Barry Irwin] of Animal Kingdom said Sunday. "I'm a careful guy, so let's see how he's doing. If you've got a horse that's amazing, you can go for the Preakness. But your regular, average Derby winner has a real tough time coming back."

But isn't he average, in the grand scheme of things...at least right now? I'd rather hear that than about how good he thinks he is.

thaskalos
05-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Just a well measured statement by Mr. Irwin...you can hardly read anything into it.

I doubt that betting against Animal Kingdom in the Preakness can be called "safe"...

MNslappy
05-09-2011, 01:05 PM
If Flash Point, Dance City and Shackleford are all in it's going to be one hell of a pace.

keithw84
05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
It sounds like no one (AK's connections included) know how good this horse is yet, and with only five starts to his name, you can't blame them.

sonnyp
05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
he called him "an average DERBY WINNER". thats a much higher evaluation than an average horse.

he will be in the preakness gate barring sickness or injury.

Smarty Cide
05-10-2011, 06:23 AM
when was the last time a horse won the preakness who didnt run in the derby?

im thinking Animal Kingdom and all is a safe bet. Looks like a very very very weak field is lining up.

KingChas
05-10-2011, 07:10 AM

WTF?

Should Read:
Barry Irwin stated he is not sure if the time between races is enough time for him to find a new trainer for the Preakness yet. :eek:

rastajenk
05-10-2011, 07:56 AM
If the average Derby winner has trouble wheeling right back, why have we had so many Derby-Preakness winners in the last 10-15 years?

FenceBored
05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
when was the last time a horse won the preakness who didnt run in the derby?

im thinking Animal Kingdom and all is a safe bet. Looks like a very very very weak field is lining up.

rastajenk
05-10-2011, 08:41 AM
And before that was Bernardini in 2006. And Red Bullet in 2000. it happens.

PhantomOnTour
05-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I would certainly think Shackelford will be there, shorter race and tighter turns; and I don't think Pants on Fire or Comma to the Top will be interested in challenging him again on the front.
Uncle Mo, whether retired by then or not, probably wont' be ready.
If the other expected speed horses like Flashpoint and Dance City are in the Preakness then I'm against Shackleford. He was one tired horse at the end of the Derby, and got a nice working over by Castanon's whip in the lane. The key to his success is getting the lead to himself and that's not likely if the above lineup stays intact.
Shack almost got away with murder in the Derby. He hung tough in the lane but wasn't good enough (and 10f is a bit far for a Forestry), but this pace scenario doesn't bode well for reversing the loss to Animal Kingdom and Macho Man.

keithw84
05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
If the average Derby winner has trouble wheeling right back, why have we had so many Derby-Preakness winners in the last 10-15 years?

This came up in another thread, too.

Of the last 14 Kentucky Derby winners, 7 have won the Preakness.

Four more have hit the board: Fusaichi Pegasus (2nd), Street Sense (2nd), Mine That Bird (2nd), Giacomo (3rd)

Monarchos and Super Saver did not hit the board, and of course, Barbaro broke down.