PDA

View Full Version : another derby chart error..?

JPinMaryland
05-08-2011, 02:11 AM
we started talking about this in another thread. The 4th quarter fraction comes out to 24 sec. flat. Does that make sense? THat's extremely fast for the turn; and that should be noticeable to even casual observers when horses are moving that fast. I dont have any video of that fraction so can't be sure though, maybe??

According to the free instant chart at Brisnet Nehro ran a 23.5 fourth quarter? wow that's pretty insane for the turn. This is starting to not add up...

we've seen a messed up fraction like this before Not sure it was Barbaro's or what, but the chart had that fraction in like 26.5 or something and it made no sense.....

PhantomOnTour
05-08-2011, 02:38 AM
I swear the 6f split on NBC was something like 1:12.8 but the charts at DRF and Equibase say it was 1:13.4. Shack almost got away with murder after a quick first quarter.

Pell Mell
05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
It seems to me that handicappers fail to realize that trainers and jocks read the form also. I see a lot of races with a ton of speed in them, like the derby, and what happens? Nobody wants the lead and one horse will inherit it by default and get out there all alone. If CTTT, and a couple others had gunned out there Shack would have folded like a cheap suit. JMO

depalma113
05-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Shackleford ran the fourth quarter in :24. Just get a stop watch and use the blimp shot. It's pretty obvious the time is correct.

Plain Steve
05-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Shackleford ran the fourth quarter in :24. Just get a stop watch and use the blimp shot. It's pretty obvious the time is correct.

Speaking of Shack, I think he ran a HUGE race.

Tom
05-08-2011, 11:07 AM
BRIS charts have it...22 3/5 final quarter?

PhantomOnTour
05-08-2011, 11:12 AM
24 and 3/5

Tom
05-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Just seeing if you were paying attention. ;)

BIG49010
05-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Did anybody put a watch to the race, I know this morning when I did my speed figs, the final time seems out of whack with the rest of the race? The early pace was slowest in over 10 years by my figs, but the final time was close to par for the race.

pandy
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I hope Shackleford doesn't turn out to have a career like Hard Spun and so many other classy speed horses who could be brilliant sprinter/milers but their connections insist on running them longer. Okay, you tried the Derby, he ran a very game race, now point him to the Met Mile and other races like that and let him do what he does best.

JPinMaryland
05-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I think it's more likely the horse is rapidly improving, to almost steal the FL derby from the eventual Ky derby favorite at 60-1 odds seems to tell me that.

PhantomOnTour
05-09-2011, 12:34 AM
I hope Shackleford doesn't turn out to have a career like Hard Spun and so many other classy speed horses who could be brilliant sprinter/milers but their connections insist on running them longer. Okay, you tried the Derby, he ran a very game race, now point him to the Met Mile and other races like that and let him do what he does best.
They should be thinking BC Dirt Mile right here at CD and plan accordingly.

pandy
05-09-2011, 08:30 AM
They should be thinking BC Dirt Mile right here at CD and plan accordingly.

I agree, that would be a smart plan for this horse.