PDA

View Full Version : Sears & Tetrick Abandon Ship

badcompany
05-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Took a peek at Saturday's Meadowlands entries and noticed that the top two drivers, Brian Sears and Tim Tetrick were nowhere to be found. So, I did a bit of research and found they were driving at Chester which had a card that started at 5pm.

First, it was Brennan, who moved to Yonkers full time. Now Sears and Tetrick leave.

Looks like the writing is on the wall.

grant miller
05-08-2011, 01:40 AM
I think sears and tettrick(SP?) were commited to chester,brennen was driving at yonkers all year (1st call on pena horses).

grant miller
05-08-2011, 01:42 AM
JMO they didnt know if the meds was gonna be running.

The Bit
05-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Tetrick stayed to drive One More Laugh in a $100,000 dollar race and Sears had a good shot in that race as well as some solid three year olds in some of the other stakes, including Wink N Atcha.

Today on the other hand, almost the entire colony goes to Chester. Miller, Miller, Tetrick, Pierce, Gingras, Dube and Sears all at Chester. A $70,000 open, a $32,000 WO, four other races worth $20,000 or more will have that affect. Those purses draw the best horses and the drivers want to drive the best stock they can and the trainers want the best drivers. And 32 people will be in the grandstands watching.

badcompany
05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
brennen was driving at yonkers all year (1st call on pena horses).

Brennan was the real Canary in the coal mine. In 2010, he was the top driver at M1; yet, he didn't drive there for the fall meet. Even with his success at Yonkers, he's gonna make less that he did last year. So, he obviously didn't like what he saw at M1.

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Brennan was the real Canary in the coal mine. In 2010, he was the top driver at M1; yet, he didn't drive there for the fall meet. Even with his success at Yonkers, he's gonna make less that he did last year. So, he obviously didn't like what he saw at M1.

the thing that's a huge difference between drivers in harness and jocks in the runners, is that the jock agents give a predraw commitment to ride a specific horse in a specific race, a "call".

it used to drive me nuts that he harness guys can wait till after the draw and pick and choose, based on competition, post position etc. who they want to drive. in their heyday, o'donnell and campbell would be listed on maybe 6 horses every race at the meadowlands. they'd sit down, like they were lookin at a memue at a restaurant and take their choice. i always thought this part of the process to be unfair. everybody suffers the consequences of the draw but the drivers, and don't hold your breath expecting loyalty.

Hanover1
05-08-2011, 03:57 PM
the thing that's a huge difference between drivers in harness and jocks in the runners, is that the jock agents give a predraw commitment to ride a specific horse in a specific race, a "call".

it used to drive me nuts that he harness guys can wait till after the draw and pick and choose, based on competition, post position etc. who they want to drive. in their heyday, o'donnell and campbell would be listed on maybe 6 horses every race at the meadowlands. they'd sit down, like they were lookin at a memue at a restaurant and take their choice. i always thought this part of the process to be unfair. everybody suffers the consequences of the draw but the drivers, and don't hold your breath expecting loyalty.

Outside of the circle getting smaller, I don't see much of a change. Friend of mine does the entries for Erv Miller, and every day she speaks to Tetrick, Sears, Miller (both Andy and Doug) and others. They are always "Let me call you back on that". If a horse is live she says so, but sometimes it matters not, and sometimes she gets the favor in return as well. Same old deal......it IS nice to know that your guy stays with you if you have gotten one ready at a decent level too.

wilderness
05-08-2011, 04:55 PM

It's apples and oranges.

"Jocks" get paid twice as much (10 %; T-Bred trainers too), while Standardbred drivers and trainers split 10% (5 % each).

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 05:03 PM
don,

what relevance does the compensation have ? i was talking about the fact that jocks commit, blindly, to ride a horse in a race where as the drivers decide after the races are drawn who they will drive.

by the way, at the height of their careers o'donnell and campbell were asking for and getting 10% in stakes.

pandy
05-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I know not many will agree with me on this, but the racing at the Meadowlands is better without Sears and Tetrick, etc. The fall meet was the best meet in years for overlays, many juicy winners that actually figured, and the reason for the overlays was that the top drivers weren't there.

Last night was amazing. In the first race last night I picked NY Ice and made him 8-5, he won and paid $17, with Steve Smith. In the 4th All American Arena was my third choice and I made him 5-1 odds, he won and paid $49.00, with Simon Allard.

In the 6th I made Panesthetic 7-5 as my second choice figuring I’d take a shot at a price because he’d be odds on, he won and paid $8.20. In the 7th, Blueridge Western was my top pick and I made him 7-5, he won and paid $7.40, and in the last race I picked Jetty to win and made him 2-1, he won and paid $10.40. All driven by Lachance. Obviously some bettors don't think that Lachance can win anymore (wrong).

In the fall meet the bettors were under betting certain drivers, like Jim Meittinis for instance. They were confused because the top drivers weren’t there.

Last night they underbet Steve Smith, Mike Lachance (3 winners) and Simon Allard.

Pandy

Hanover1
05-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Took a peek at Saturday's Meadowlands entries and noticed that the top two drivers, Brian Sears and Tim Tetrick were nowhere to be found. So, I did a bit of research and found they were driving at Chester which had a card that started at 5pm.

First, it was Brennan, who moved to Yonkers full time. Now Sears and Tetrick leave.

Looks like the writing is on the wall.

There is no "writing on the wall". Horses are going to get over that strip on the way to seasons roadmaps for each one of them. Drivers including the above mentioned will show up at the appropriate time to secure mounts in upcoming stakes. Did you forget that no matter what happens, Hambo week is a go? Think these guys are going to forsake owners/trainers/top colts that are coming along, to race at Chester full time?? umm...not so much.

wilderness
05-08-2011, 05:27 PM
by the way, at the height of their careers o'donnell and campbell were asking for and getting 10% in stakes.

And on the other hand for "decades" drivers and trainers were not even paid 5%.

When Jimmy Cruise won the 1946 Golden West Pace for a purse of 50k (25 to winner), the owner gave Jimmy a whopping $400.

FWIW, the fees are as relevant as the comparison of "apples and oranges".
The two sports are entirely different.
Some horseman accept gratuities in the form of wagered dollars, however it is frowned upon (more so today than in previous years.)

Hanover1
05-08-2011, 05:29 PM
don,

what relevance does the compensation have ? i was talking about the fact that jocks commit, blindly, to ride a horse in a race where as the drivers decide after the races are drawn who they will drive.

I always wondered why those guys didn't use agents, like the TB guys. Good agents secure the best mounts for the jocks in the morningtime, sometimes going barn to barn, daily, and they have a wealth of info regarding daily works, ect......really on top of the game. Takes the guesswork out of it for the riders. Of course, it was always easy to refuse drives if you had your own barn full.........

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 05:35 PM
so pandy, your pockets are full ?

i know when o'donnell and campbell were on top, they would end up driving the 2 best horses in every race and NEVER, EVER, do anything to hurt each other during the running of the race.

im not saying anything was going on, please don't take it that way. they're both friends of mine and i don't mean to imply that in any way. they just never hurt each other.

im sure, as you have stated, it effected the betting and infuriated some of the other drivers.

i will never forget the night another good friend mike gagliardi left the paddock in silence when he confronted o'donnel and campbell. gag was a tough kid. cat manzi stood up to him on one occasion and it was lights out with one punch from gag.

great stories.

wilderness
05-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Bob,
Some overlays at M1 are also traditional for the three weeks (Burlington and North American Cup) in Toronto, when the top guys leave.

I caught Yannick one year on a $100 ship in from Dover during this time.

Such overlays in Toronto are quite difficult to find.
I heard a rumor that eventually harness racing will be eliminated entirely from Woodbine. Sure hope so, as Mohawk is more "Don friendly" ;)

wilderness
05-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Sonny,
For decades, very few other drivers could get a handle on John Campbell.
Today it seems that even the up and coming youngsters are able to predict (and benefit) from John's long established tactics, and beat him almost at will.

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I always wondered why those guys didn't use agents, like the TB guys. Good agents secure the best mounts for the jocks in the morningtime, sometimes going barn to barn, daily, and they have a wealth of info regarding daily works, ect......really on top of the game. Takes the guesswork out of it for the riders. Of course, it was always easy to refuse drives if you had your own barn full.........

one reason is that in the runners, its in the rules that "calls" must be honored. the stewards will levy fines and the term for not honoring a call is "spin" as in "he spun me when that other guy entered".

no such rules exist in harness as im sure you know.

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Sonny,
For decades, very few other drivers could get a handle on John Campbell.
Today it seems that even the up and coming youngsters are able to predict (and benefit) from John's long established tactics, and beat him almost at will.

don

you mention drivers predictability. a bunch of us including campbell were having a few beers and telling stories.

campbell had us in stitches when he confessed about a situation where jim dougherty would be in front in a race. campbell said if you come first over against "duffy", you better come with authority cause he won't let his grandmother go easily.

pandy
05-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Gagliardi was in that infamous race when a driver locked him in and Gags hit him in the face with the whip.

I screwed up last night because we decided to go out and I wasn't watching the odds, I taped the races. I normally prefer the weekday cards anyway but last night's card wasn't the typically impossible Big M Saturday night card. That's why it's so tough to win if you don't watch the odds and take advantage of the overlays.

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Gagliardi was in that infamous race when a driver locked him in and Gags hit him in the face with the whip.

I screwed up last night because we decided to go out and I wasn't watching the odds, I taped the races. I normally prefer the weekday cards anyway but last night's card wasn't the typically impossible Big M Saturday night card. That's why it's so tough to win if you don't watch the odds and take advantage of the overlays.

i believe that was that good trotter gag brought up from down under (nigel craig ???). i also think a consecutive win streak was involved and the other driver was french canadian but i can't remember who it was. rene poulin, robert sampson ????

what do you think of the numbers from last nite ? i posted in another thread, $2.4 mil on 14 races and they got burned on the guaranteed pik 4 ?

pandy
05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I guess for 2011 the handle was solid. This has been a tough year for handle, especially for harness tracks. As long as the favorites don't win more than 35% or so I think the Meadowlands will have a good meet.

wilderness
05-08-2011, 06:14 PM

Bob,
Not sure if I've added this old-days tactic and excerpt before.

These excerpts from Jan 1979 USTA Hoof Beats.
Article by Dean Hoffman, and were son, Dick Thomas is reminiscing about his dad, Henry Thomas.

The story seems perhaps apocryphal, but those who know say it actually happened.
Henry Thomas and Lee Smith were idly chatting while jogging horses on the main track at Lexington in the late thirties. Thomas was regaling Smith with stories of the rough tactics drivers used in races in the Midwest in the early teens. In fact, Thomas told Smith, a driver would often just flip another reinsman right out of the sulky.
"Aw, c'mon," countered the cocky southerner. "I'd like to see some s.o.b. try to do that to me."
Whereupon Thomas, a man of Hurculean strength, reached down and grabbed the wheel brace of Smith's jog cart, jerked it three feet off the ground, abruptly and unceremoniously dumping Smith onto the track.
And Henry Thomas just laughed like hell.

After the war, Thomas stayed close to New York and the fans in the metropolitan area respected him as a fierce competitor who gave no quarter and expected none.
One of the classic Henry Thomas stories emanates from a $50,000 two-mile trot at Roosevelt in the late forties. By then, Dick was driving horses, too, and the father-son team had an entry in the race. Henry was steering the '46 Hambletonian winner Chestertown while Dick was guiding the longshot Dutch Harbor who was saddled with post 14.
When the gate snapped, Dick simply ducked for the rail with Dutch Harbor and watched everyone jockey around for a mile and a half.
"In that last half-mile, everyone started pulling out and I just steered Dutch Harbor up along the rail. He had lots of trot left. With a quarter to go, Del Miller was in front with Reyland, Proximity was lapped on him, and Chestertown and dad were third on the outside. I was boxed fourth at the rail."
Around the last turn, Dick says that his horse was "just full of trot" and he desperately wanted out.
He yelled over to his father, "Dad, it's me! Let me out! Dad, it's me!"
Thirty years later, Dick says, "You know, he acted as if he didn't even know I was there. Never moved! He sat right there. Just ignored me."
end of quote.

There's another old reflection about a driver that had a capability to lift his bike with his bottom and bump another bike on the outside. The tactic would open scare the other driver frequently enough that he would take hold of his horse and the "bumper" got the space he needed".

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 06:24 PM
don,

i love your tales. you must have one on the "colorful" harold story ? please tell it.

wilderness
05-08-2011, 06:45 PM
sonny,
I don't have any articles that were specifically on Harold.
Perhaps there were some devoted to Harold and I've just been unlucky in coming across one.

Sorry.

Of the 42 references I've to his name, most were just in summaries.

From Feb 2000 Hoof Beats and "Horsemen ponder impact of ears"
Similarly, noted horseman Harold Story advised McGivern that the secret to buying a good mare is to find one with "big mule ears." It is advice the New York-based conditioner takes with the proverbial grain of salt.
----------
From Aug 17, 1960 Harness Horse and Bay State Raceway.
Harold Story found the way home with four, and Ralph Spencer was among the three--winner drivers before he landed in the hospital as a result of a Saturday night spill.

Harold Story grouped his four wins in two nights as the stable stars for Clarence A. Tarr of Putnam, Conn., Mighty Tarr, the hard hitting Mighty H. that has built his lifetime earnings to just a shade under $70,000 in 10 seasons; Benny Schue and Counsel Way, all came down in front.
-----------

These two photo's are quite unique.
If your interested in them, plz PM me your email and I'll be glad to send.
-------
March 1976 Hoof Beats.
At right, Harold Story and Tom Vanidestine, left, tour the Green Mountain race track behind Gallant Byrd (to sleigh).
--------
Dec 1985 Hoof Beats (nice photo; not great quality. USTA may have original)
Horseman Harold Story shows his appreciation to Virginia O'Brien for her efforts over the years.

sonnyp
05-08-2011, 06:53 PM
around saratoga, story was a tobacco chewing and spitting, rough and tough, last of the breed mountain man.

he emptied a "hillbilly" watering hole outside saratoga one evening when he sauntered in with a bear cub on a chain leash, hoisted him up onto a stool and demanded the bar tender give him and his "friend" a drink.

on ocassion, when hopelessly boxed, he was not above screaming out that he had a broken line. as the field scattered, he would go on to win the race with a hearty laugh. naturally, he'd be dq'd.

where have all the characters gone ?

wilderness
05-08-2011, 06:56 PM
sonny,
Here's Harold's bio from the 1974 USTA Handbook (the forum is likely going to butcher the tabular columned stats. I've attempted to add HTML "pre" and not sure what effect that will have):

STORY, Harold J. BIRTHPLACE: Argyle, N.Y.
Hudson Falls, N.Y. BIRTHDATE: 1-5-19
Harold served three years with the Army during WW II, and was wounded in action in the South Pacific. Shortly after getting out of the service he decided to give up farming and saddle horse trading for a career in harness racing.
He drove and won the first race of his career in 1946, at Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Since then his career has taken him literally from Maine to California, and from Canada to Florida, as well. For several seasons he spent a good part of the year racing in Canada, but in recent years he's remained pretty much in the U.S., a fact which seems to be reflected in increased purse earnings. He has 1,376 wins.
He drove his first two-minute mile in 1952 with Josedale Alate, then had to wait ten years before getting another with K. Calling in 1962, and then another in 1966 with Congress Glove. In 1973 he had a two-bagger, winning in 1:58.4 with Short Streak at Foxboro, and in 1:59.4 with Miracle Morning, also at Foxboro.
He maintains an interest in his pre-racing days hobby, hunting dogs.

pre
Year Starts 1sts 2nds 3rds UDRS money Won
(a) -- 173 -- -- -- - - - -
1952 93 11 9 is .226 19,161
1953 84 6 16 16 .241 26,853
1954 151 14 16 33 .224 37,897
1955 154 14 15 20 .188 31,232
1956 231 37 31 27 .273 62,199
1957 308 50 36 39 .269 97,782
1958 326 51 40 40 .266 99,740
1959 307 43 43 43 .265 64,363
1960 183 31 24 29 .295 30,852
1961 298 44 31 45 .256 77,612
1962 459 68 66 so .264 103,716
1963 387 56 59 43 .266 85,003
1964 426 51 64 53 .245 73,338
1965 629 116 94 91 .316 154,275
1966 571 94 76 63 .275 137,167
1967 392 47 53 51 .238 97,385
1968 374 80 46 35 .313 111,534
1969 684 120 103 70 .293 174,817
1970 630 87 89 83 .260 167,125
1971 442 67 63 60 .276 152,171
1972 338 61 53 44 .311 118,672
1973 303 55 46 41 .311 131 274
1,376 2,054,168
/pre

(a) total recorded prior to 1952 2:00 Miles (5)

wilderness
05-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Bob,
There's another old reflection about a driver that had a capability to lift his bike with his bottom and bump another bike on the outside. The tactic would open scare the other driver frequently enough that he would take hold of his horse and the "bumper" got the space he needed".

DUH! Earth to Don!

Same article.

But even the best horses can use a little edge at times and Henry was one driver who made his own opportunities.

Listen to what the late Curly Smart had to say.
"When I drove on the Grand Circuit, I found out how tough Henry Thomas was. You know what he would do? He'd be riding right alongside you with his wheel next to yours and make a little hitch sideways. He'd bump you with his wheel and I'll guarantee you'd leave your seat about five inches. It'd just about unjoint you."

Dick Thomas laughs at Smart's description.

"It took a lot of strength and know-how to do that. But if dad was hemmed in, he'd give the guy outside of him one of those bumps and push the other horse right out. That would give dad enough room to nose his horse and away he'd go."

badcompany
05-09-2011, 01:05 AM
There is no "writing on the wall". Horses are going to get over that strip on the way to seasons roadmaps for each one of them. Drivers including the above mentioned will show up at the appropriate time to secure mounts in upcoming stakes. Did you forget that no matter what happens, Hambo week is a go? Think these guys are going to forsake owners/trainers/top colts that are coming along, to race at Chester full time?? umm...not so much.

I'm sure they'll show up for big money races, but, it seems as though they no longer view M1 as their bread n' butter. Brennan sure doesn't. Sorry to break out a cliche, but, actions speak louder than words. "The Minister" was coming off his best year ever at M1; yet, decided to pack his bags and head to Yonkers.

Also, awhile ago, someone, on this board posted an interview with Tetrick. He was really down on the future of the Meadowlands, so much so that he was talking about doing something else vis a vis a career change.

sonnyp
05-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm sure they'll show up for big money races, but, it seems as though they no longer view M1 as their bread n' butter. Brennan sure doesn't. Sorry to break out a cliche, but, actions speak louder than words. "The Minister" was coming off his best year ever at M1; yet, decided to pack his bags and head to Yonkers.

Also, awhile ago, someone, on this board posted an interview with Tetrick. He was really down on the future of the Meadowlands, so much so that he was talking about doing something else vis a vis a career change.

a career change ? that's funny. with the money they make, i've asked cat manzi when he was gonna quit many times. he's 61.

he laughs and asks me,"what would i do ? the only thing i've ever done besides this is a crossword puzzle.

badcompany
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
a career change ? that's funny. with the money they make, i've asked cat manzi when he was gonna quit many times. he's 61.

he laughs and asks me,"what would i do ? the only thing i've ever done besides this is a crossword puzzle.

Manzi is 61, but Tetrick is 29.

Had slots not saved the day, all the NY harness tracks would be closed and the drivers WOULD be doing something else. Ironically, the demise of harness racing didn't have to happen.

A few weeks ago, I went up to Saratoga for a long weekend and went to the harness track for a Saturday afternoon card. It was great. There was a good crowd on hand and everyone seemed to have a good time. IMO, 1/2 mile harness is the best spectator sport of any type of horse racing because you can actually see the horses when they're on the backstretch.

sonnyp
05-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Had slots not saved the day, all the NY harness tracks would be closed and the drivers WOULD be doing something else. Ironically, the demise of harness racing didn't have to happen.

A few weeks ago, I went up to Saratoga for a long weekend and went to the harness track for a Saturday afternoon card. It was great. There was a good crowd on hand and everyone seemed to have a good time. IMO, 1/2 mile harness is the best spectator sport of any type of horse racing because you can actually see the horses when they're on the backstretch.

beautiful little track. that's home for me. that's where i got my first trainer/driver licenses. used to be spotless and i hope it still is. saw nevele pride set the world record then 1:56:4 on a half mile and saw niatross flop over the hub rail.

you hit the nail on the head. 1/2 mile racing great spectator sport. but tough to bet on and bets are whats needed.

as far as tetrick, he should pray the sport stays around. i think, just as all pro athletes, there just aren't comparable sources of income outside what they've been doing.

they're living a fairytale existence.

Pacingguy
05-09-2011, 02:44 PM

A man who thinks the way I do. People sell the half mile oval short.

sonnyp
05-09-2011, 02:55 PM
A man who thinks the way I do. People sell the half mile oval short.

i enjoy your blog.

do you think yonkers should have changed it's configuration to 5/8 or 7/8 when they had the chance rather than change the distance of the races ?

also, a buddy pointed out the negative effect of the inside passing lane in that it keeps the guys in the 2 and 3 hole from pulling. how do you feel about it ?

badcompany
05-10-2011, 01:23 AM
beautiful little track. that's home for me. that's where i got my first trainer/driver licenses. used to be spotless and i hope it still is.

Still a nice place, but, like most Racinos, the "Race" part gets the short shrift. If you go in through the front entrance, you won't know the track exists as there is a Berlin Wall separating the slots from the horses. In addition, the grandstand could use a modernization.

You hit the nail on the head. 1/2 mile racing great spectator sport. but tough to bet on and bets are whats needed.

At 45, I guess you could say I'm a "Tweener," not an old-timer, but not a kid. In my earliest memories of Yonkers Raceway, Mike Lachance and Walter Case (when he wasn't in trouble) were the top guys. The track drew about 3,000 people a night and the ON-TRACK handle was 1 Million. If you do the math, that's alot of betting per person, more than M1 ever had, and we're talking about 25 years ago.

So, I disagree that Mile racing is better for betting. Half-mile tracks allow positional handicapping, which, on a mile track with a ten horse field, is, for the most part, unrealistic.

Half Miles are also more conducive to making sizable bets on cold numbers; whereas, Mile Ovals favor spreading the money. Some prefer the latter style of betting. I prefer the former.

IMO, the reason for the decline of the 1/2 harness track is a combination of poor marketing and complacency.

pandy
05-10-2011, 08:45 AM
At their best, half-mile tracks can offer the best racing but not in today's sport. If you go back to the days of the conventional (wood) sulky, or even Joe King's first steel (modified sulky), which wasn't that bad, half mile racing was 4 in and 4 out at the half and lots of closers won, plus favorites only won about 34% in New York. The modified sulky was the first step to more speed favoring half mile racing and more favorites with a much weaker outside flow. As the years went on the sulkies got faster and faster and the Harmer bike in particular has made it very tough for horses to rally from off the pace on half mile tracks.

This is why half mile racing is in trouble. At its best, with wooden bikes, half mile racing is very popular and offers competitive, exciting harness racing. With the off-centered, speed-conducive Harmer bike, half mile racing is quickly becoming a dinosaur and dragging down the sport.

Yes there are people who like to punch cold lineup exactas that pay $10 but not enough to make half mile racing good business. The biggest problem is that speed favoring half mile tracks do not get ANY money from thoroughbred bettors. One of the reasons why the Meadowlands harness was so successful is because it is the only harness track that got the interest of thoroughbred players (because it is a lot like thoroughbred racing) and it actually created more harness fans.

badcompany
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes there are people who like to punch cold lineup exactas that pay $10 but not enough to make half mile racing good business. The biggest problem is that speed favoring half mile tracks do not get ANY money from thoroughbred bettors. One of the reasons why the Meadowlands harness was so successful is because it is the only harness track that got the interest of thoroughbred players (because it is a lot like thoroughbred racing) and it actually created more harness fans.

This argument made sense in the pre-simulcast days when a t-bred player who wanted action at night had no choice but to play harness, but that's no longer the case. Today, a t-bred player will just play one of the night time t-bred tracks.

Canarsie
05-10-2011, 11:49 AM
This argument made sense in the pre-simulcast days when a t-bred player who wanted action at night had no choice but to play harness, but that's no longer the case. Today, a t-bred player will just play one of the night time t-bred tracks.

That's the case at M1 most people there are playing the Mountain, CT, PN, Louisiana, and other night tracks. In the daytime hardly anyone even looks at the Chester, Meadows, Monticello, etc. screens and the handle at those tracks reflect it. Always hear people screaming at a race from the flats hardly a peep for harness.

I once wrote the NJSEA a letter complaining that they had four screens for Australian racing and Balmoral was only shown at a side screen at the bar. At least I got an answer but they never really completely fixed it.

pandy
05-10-2011, 01:04 PM

That's because harness racing simply isn't putting out a good enough product. Even at the Meadowlands the racing could be much better. First of all, the turns aren't banked anymore so you don't have the deep wide-rallying longshot closers that made the track famous in the first place (this is what the flats guys liked). And, with the Harmer bike, even at the Meadowlands the racing is too speed favoring. You put them in wood bikes and bank the turns and you'll see those thoroughbred players betting the Big M.

There are two tracks that had good handle in an otherwise dismal 2011 so far, Gulfstream and Tampa Bay. Big fields, competitive racing, longshot winners. Any harness track that has the same can compete. Any harness track that has a plethora of wire to wire winners that pay $3.00 cannot.

The average player is not chalk happy. The Meadowlands had more longshot winners than any harness track in history, and the highest handle for the last 35 years. This isn't rocket science. You have to give the bettors what they want.

mrroyboy
05-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Right Pandy By the way your new book is good!!!

pandy
05-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Thank you!

badcompany
05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
That's because harness racing simply isn't putting out a good enough product. Even at the Meadowlands the racing could be much better. .

C'mon, do you really think the nighttime t-bred tracks are putting out a high-caliber product? Mountaineer, Penn etc. are mainly 5k Claimer tracks; yet, t-bred players prefer them to M1 and Yonkers. Why? Because t-bred players prefer betting t-breds.

If harness hopes to survive, going forward, it's gonna have to distinguish itself from t-bred racing, not be more like it.

thespaah
05-10-2011, 08:03 PM
i enjoy your blog.

do you think yonkers should have changed it's configuration to 5/8 or 7/8 when they had the chance rather than change the distance of the races ?

also, a buddy pointed out the negative effect of the inside passing lane in that it keeps the guys in the 2 and 3 hole from pulling. how do you feel about it ?When Yonkers first opened as Empire Race Course, it was a one mile config.
I would liked to have seen a 5/8ths track in the NY Metro area.
I became favorable to that config after going to Brandywine and Pocono.
The passing lane? Don't like it. The inside is the inside. The passing lane takes away the advantage of a horse that is not tired enough to drift out, but is just starting hang a bit. In this instance the horse can stay inside and protect his position. Let the others try to beat him going two or three deep.

thespaah
05-10-2011, 08:17 PM
That's because harness racing simply isn't putting out a good enough product. Even at the Meadowlands the racing could be much better. First of all, the turns aren't banked anymore so you don't have the deep wide-rallying longshot closers that made the track famous in the first place (this is what the flats guys liked). And, with the Harmer bike, even at the Meadowlands the racing is too speed favoring. You put them in wood bikes and bank the turns and you'll see those thoroughbred players betting the Big M.

There are two tracks that had good handle in an otherwise dismal 2011 so far, Gulfstream and Tampa Bay. Big fields, competitive racing, longshot winners. Any harness track that has the same can compete. Any harness track that has a plethora of wire to wire winners that pay $3.00 cannot.

The average player is not chalk happy. The Meadowlands had more longshot winners than any harness track in history, and the highest handle for the last 35 years. This isn't rocket science. You have to give the bettors what they want.Agree 100%.
In the mid 80's when the Meadowlands was at it's peak, I often commented about the future regarding competition for the gambling dollar. I mention this because of the changing of laws allowing Indian casinos. I knew sooner or later New York and Connecticut with their serveral Indian Reserves would have casinos. Plus I could see that harness racing was not going to appeal to younger people with their focus on instant gratification. A buddy once said that these kids were not going to go bet the horses with 20 minute waits between races and limited methods of winning money.
I also think the main reason for the demise of Harness racing should fall directly upon the shoulders of track marketing departments. They did nothing.
The track's marketing strategy was "We're here. Just show up"....That obviously doesn't cut it.

pandy
05-10-2011, 11:47 PM
The marketing and management of harness racing is horrible, but not much better for thoroughbred racing. I used to go to the track a couple of hundred times a year, no one ever asked for my name.

When I went into business in 1981, the first thing I did was create a mailing list of all my customers. Many of my sales are to customers who purchased from me in 1981. I've met many of my customers in person, and even had dinner with some of them. I'm amazed when I think about how friendly my customers are. It must be something about horse players.

Harness racing needs a commissioner, and a board of directors, just like the NFL. The NFL is run brilliantly. Everything they've done over the years has been designed for parity and to keep the games close and exciting with lots of come from behind winners. Harness racing on the other hand has made changes which have made the races less exciting. Luckily we still have the Meadowlands and other tracks are trying. Maywood moved the start back 200 feet last year. Last week half of the races at Maywood were won by posts 6, 7 and 8, unheard of an a half mile track.

mrroyboy
05-11-2011, 07:09 PM
One of the biggest improvments in all racing is the fan education stuff. In the past tracks didn't much care. Now we have things like"We want you to win" like Meadowlands. Plus all the information you can get these days. I d'ont know how to attract younger people to harrness racing but the slots do help.

my_nameaintearl
05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
The thing about Tetrick Callahan Sears and Yannick And the rest of these guys is that on some days they are doing 18 races. They catch the early card at freehold and chester , then shoot down to dover or up to the meadowlands or yonkers.

To say they are abandoning ship is a bit harsh.

and to who ever said chester has 35 people in the stands is being silly there is at least 200 people outside and another 100 inside. It just sucks now that they moved our simulcast to fit the poker room had forced many player to go to the turf club.