PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom or Uncle Mo

mannyberrios
05-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Who will be Johnny Velazquez mount in the Preekness?

toussaud
05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I was just going to post this. this is going to be an interesting sub plot. Not rather or not he rides, he is going to stick with AK, but who will ride mo?

I would give sleepy a long look. He killed that track for years.

ArlJim78
05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't think you're going to see Uncle Mo entered any time soon.

toussaud
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
i think mo was being pointed to the preakness all along. I think this GI crap (no pun intended) was a bunch of bullocks for them knowing he wanted no part of 10F

Mineshaft
05-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't think you're going to see Uncle Mo entered any time soon.

agree he wont run till Saratoga you watch

toussaud
05-07-2011, 09:13 PM
here is the thing though...

why even run at saratoga? if you know he can't run far, what else is there to do that he has not done? win the BC sprint? win the kings bishop?

IMHO he either is going to run in the preakness, or be retired.

ArlJim78
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
agree he wont run till Saratoga you watch
If then even.
there no way in the world he's going to be ready to jump in for the Preakness.

nijinski
05-07-2011, 10:48 PM
i think mo was being pointed to the preakness all along. I think this GI crap (no pun intended) was a bunch of bullocks for them knowing he wanted no part of 10F

He's looking slimmer , it's not bs.

toussaud
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
so why in the world did they wait so long to scratch then?

trackrat59
05-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Mo won't run for a good while. They don't even know what's wrong with him other than the high enzyme level. That's not good. They first have to figure out what's going on with him, hopefully cure him, and then rest him from that point. Then hopefully back in training.

I hope Mo is ok and they figure out what's up with him.

Producer
05-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Preakness??

Please, if this horse ever runs again it won't be for a couple months atleast. The travers would probably be the goal if they can get him right again.

Dahoss9698
05-07-2011, 11:16 PM

You can't really believe this right?

toussaud
05-07-2011, 11:19 PM
You can't really believe this right?
actually i kinda do...

I like to believe somewhere in my heart t pletch would not even toy with the idea of running a horse that was in THAT bad a shape, and if he's not in that bad a shape, then i don't see why he isn't at least probable for 2 weeks from now

Producer
05-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Pletcher/Repole already said he was going back to NY and was off the triple crown trail, anyway.

Dahoss9698
05-07-2011, 11:25 PM
actually i kinda do...

I like to believe somewhere in my heart t pletch would not even toy with the idea of running a horse that was in THAT bad a shape, and if he's not in that bad a shape, then i don't see why he isn't at least probable for 2 weeks from now

That isn't what you said. You said they wanted no part of 10 furlongs, and instead were pointing to a race that is only a 1/16th shorter.

He's not right and that is why they didn't run. I don't think we'll see him for a while (really hope I'm wrong) and I'm putting the chances of him running in the Preakness at less than 1%.

toussaud
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
That isn't what you said. You said they wanted no part of 10 furlongs, and instead were pointing to a race that is only a 1/16th shorter.

He's not right and that is why they didn't run. I don't think we'll see him for a while (really hope I'm wrong) and I'm putting the chances of him running in the Preakness at less than 1%.
you are confusing yourself.

yes that's exactly what is said i never said i didn't say that. i'm saying that if the horse was off, really off, he would have not even toyed around with this crap (i hope) and because of that it makes me think all this was for show and they want to run in the preakness.

go back and listen to repole after the wood. he was even given preakness quotes then.

Dahoss9698
05-07-2011, 11:39 PM
you are confusing yourself.

yes that's exactly what is said i never said i didn't say that. i'm saying that if the horse was off, really off, he would have not even toyed around with this crap (i hope) and because of that it makes me think all this was for show and they want to run in the preakness.

go back and listen to repole after the wood. he was even given preakness quotes then.

Yeah, you're right. I'm confused.

The big plan was the Preakness (again, only a 1/16th shorter than the Derby) all along. Who cares about the Derby anyway? Certainly not Repole, who only said about 50 times this week how important it is for him to win a Derby. Thanks for setting me straight.

Just remember to come back here after he isn't entered in the Preakness.

toussaud
05-07-2011, 11:42 PM
um.... lol.. ok.

nijinski
05-07-2011, 11:43 PM
so why in the world did they wait so long to scratch then?
Because the Vets could not pinpoint what's wrong with him and he
was responding somewhat to whatever RX they were treating him with.
Rx has to stop several days before the Derby and he's relapsing apparently.

Pletcher has said that he will discuss sending him to a facility for a
thorough workup. They appear to be genuinely concerned and upset.

toussaud
05-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Because the Vets could not pinpoint what's wrong with him and he
was responding somewhat to whatever RX they were treating him with.
Rx has to stop several days before the Derby and he's relapsing apparently.

Pletcher has said that he will discuss sending him to a facility for a
thorough workup. They appear to be genuinely concerned and upset.
I mean maybe I'm wrong, I'm not right about everything on earth i just don't see this scenario. Call it the cynic in me or whatever. The fight is about to start i will elaborate later.

Producer
05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
This horse has been off for awhile and they've known it.

They give him a soft as can be workout in the timely writer. Then he gets an easy lead in soft fractions in the Wood and throws in the towel while changing leads multiple times down the stretch. He has a freshly shaved knee/leg and pin-firing scars. Combine this with the fact that he has lost weight, his coat hasn't looked great, and his energy level has been down. He has problems they are not letting out.

Even before this, Pletcher states that the horse doesn't need to improve on his 2yo form, just maintain it. As good as his BC Juvenile performance was, that is never what you want to hear from the trainer of a horse going from 2 to 3.

toussaud
05-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I mean maybe I'm wrong, I'm not right about everything on earth i just don't see this scenario. Call it the cynic in me or whatever. The fight is about to start i will elaborate later.
wow that was a crappy fight.

anyway, 2 things. First, if he can't win the Preakness, he can't win a classic distance race, and if he can't win a classic distance race, there is nothing in racing that is left to keep him in racing, and not in a stallion barn. him staying around and winning races like the king's bishop or the Vanderbilt or even the breeders cup dirt mile, just aren't worth it for a horse that is this valuable. I think they realized, that the horse might have some serious distance limitations when he came up short in the wood, and figured if they were going to win ANY type of classic race, the best shot was going to be the Preakness. Yes the Haskell is shorter, but horses would have matured by then. the Preakness is the best blend of not all the horses really "getting it yet" and distance. come November mo will not want any part of this 3YO crop going 10F

Rx has to stop several days before the Derby and he's relapsing apparently. I think what I am trying to say is, that, if there was any doubt at all to this horse being "healthy" they don't even consider running him the derby. He's probably in worse health then jaycito is and baffert scratched him with the quickness, yet you are telling me that this horse is like on his horse racing deathbed so to speak, and they still have him entered as late as friday, but yet he is in such bad Thathape now has to miss the entire triple crown, when Thursday night it was 50/50? I don't buy that. and hell I'm probably wrong. But I don't buy it.

I can see him missing the triple crown trail and using the haskell as a get out race. but I think one of the 2 races will be his last race.

jasperson
05-08-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't think he has recovered from the problem that he had, but I hoping that he will be ready by Saratoga and the breeders cup. We need all the good horses we can get.

Rackon
05-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Didn't Repole state earlier in the week if Mo wast out of the Derby they would be looking toward the late summer races and hopefully the BCC?

My impression from the connections was if he wasn't right for the KD he was off the TC trail.

No preakness for Mo.

elysiantraveller
05-08-2011, 08:46 AM
R-E-T-I-R-E-D

My prediction.

FenceBored
05-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Mo won't run for a good while. They don't even know what's wrong with him other than the high enzyme level. That's not good. They first have to figure out what's going on with him, hopefully cure him, and then rest him from that point. Then hopefully back in training.

I hope Mo is ok and they figure out what's up with him.

Elevated enzyme? Are we talking Uncle Mo or Devil May Care?

Hmmmmmmmm.

{now I can relax, my conspiracy theory work here is done}

Idrivetrotters
05-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Let's go back a few steps with UM and TP and let's see if we can make some sense of this.

Facts:
He was pin fired on the left front. The pin fire looks like pellet shot which is really not a good thing. I do not like pin firing I prefer freeze firing, but that is neither here nor there. I worked for one of the best lamness vets when he had Standardbreds and we never did a "pellet scatter". If Dr. Seeber did a pin fire it was always in either neat rows or in a small pattern.

He had a shaved square near the right splint for the Wood. While they are unwilling or unable to come clean on his lameness issues, a good eye can catch these things.

After the Wood Uncle Mo has some sort of GI upset and is requiring a lot more than pepto to fix.

I had my doubts regarding UM and his GI malady at first, but he is losing weight and his coat is not as good as it was, and his vague symptoms do sound familiar.

This is where fact ends and speculation begins.

GI Infections are rare, and when they do happen are usually life threatening. When they were taking UMs GI infection so lightly that he wasn't even taken out of training, I had my doubts it was a true GI infection.

Now, by that reasoning, if it is not a true GI infection and it's not colic, what else can it be?

I've seen horses with some of his symptoms and if his symptoms match what I think it is, he can recover and return to training. I think he had a bad reaction to a pre-race.

All I know is there is a big black cloud over the Pletcher barn!

I will throw this out there, by being secretive with Uncle Mo, do you think this will encourage the Feds to regulate race day medications and disclosure?

Spalding No!
05-08-2011, 10:14 AM
anyway, 2 things. First, if he can't win the Preakness, he can't win a classic distance race, and if he can't win a classic distance race, there is nothing in racing that is left to keep him in racing, and not in a stallion barn. him staying around and winning races like the king's bishop or the Vanderbilt or even the breeders cup dirt mile, just aren't worth it for a horse that is this valuable. I think they realized, that the horse might have some serious distance limitations when he came up short in the wood, and figured if they were going to win ANY type of classic race, the best shot was going to be the Preakness. Yes the Haskell is shorter, but horses would have matured by then. the Preakness is the best blend of not all the horses really "getting it yet" and distance. come November mo will not want any part of this 3YO crop going 10F

Does anyone know if the Travers was canceled this year or something?

I think what I am trying to say is, that, if there was any doubt at all to this horse being "healthy" they don't even consider running him the derby. He's probably in worse health then jaycito is and baffert scratched him with the quickness

Jaycito was scratched with quickness? He was penciled in for the Wood Memorial following his belated 3yo debut in the San Felipe in mid March. A week before the race, Baffert suddenly hedged his bets and said that he was 50/50 for the Wood with the Santa Anita Derby being the alternative pending his final workout. After that workout, the Wood plan was scrapped and the SA Derby was the target. Two days before the SA Derby, Baffert said he might scratch because the horse wasn't right. Jaycito wasn't scratched until the morning of the race. The next day, Baffert said he'd run in the Lexington. A week later, Baffert said he wouldn't run in the Lexington. A couple of days later, Baffert said he wouldn't run in Kentucky Derby either.

Yeah, it only took him about a month to eliminate the horse from Derby consideration.

yet you are telling me that this horse is like on his horse racing deathbed so to speak, and they still have him entered as late as friday, but yet he is in such bad Thathape now has to miss the entire triple crown, when Thursday night it was 50/50? I don't buy that. and hell I'm probably wrong. But I don't buy it.

He's not on his deathbed...yet. They were hoping for a miracle that the horse would suddenly eat his breakfast so that he'd have enough energy to win the Kentucky Derby.

Didn't you see Secretariat The Movie last December?

toussaud
05-08-2011, 12:11 PM
i caught the end of it, did i hear this right.. are they trying to "make things right" by giving AK back to Robby?

Dahoss9698
05-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Hard to believe Uncle Mo wasn't entered in the Preakness. :lol:

nijinski
05-19-2011, 12:35 AM
To those who are stating that it's a fact that UM had pinfiring done on his leg I have this to add.
A visit to at Win Star that had a good view of him of claims that the hair is beginning to grow back in the area and that it appears to have been a derm issue , possibly fungal or another skin issue .

Plain Steve
05-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Hard to believe Uncle Mo wasn't entered in the Preakness. :lol:

I assume that is a "tongue in cheek" comment referring to Repole needing an attention fix :lol: