PDA

View Full Version : I hit the tri...!

JPinMaryland
05-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I finally hit the trifecta! my biggest hit ever. Three of us went in on a $1 trifecta at the OTB in Urbanna MD. I will try to post a picture of the ticket, but we havent cashed it yet, so not sure if someone might forge it. Ive never had a signer ticket....

You wouldn't believe how dialed in we were: We played 6 horses and boxed them or whatever. I hadnt studied any of these horses all year, only handicapped this morning. I was going to tell my buddies that we cant play the trifecta because hadnt studied it enuf.

My roomie, fingered Nehru (19) right after we got in the car on the way up. I like closers so at this pt we had

1-2-8-17-19.

THen it occurred to me that there was no way the 1 AND 2 would hit the board together, they are on the same part of the track with same running style. ANd if you study the Derby, you dont really see all closers win or all front runners, it's always a mix of each. Decided to drop the 2, I really thought this horse wanted it more than the 1 because you can see from the PPs he's fought his way through traffic last 4 races so he wants it bad, but it was a team effort so I dropped him.

My roomie like Soldat the 17 based on that Racing Speed avg, on the next to last page of the free brisnet PPs. I could tell Soldat was very good but he might have peaked, but no reason to toss him so: .

1-8-17-19...

Then the other guy said he'd play it with us so we said he could pick one horse. BUt then I am always a horse short on this so we started thinking about two more horses. So he comes up with...

"Midnight interlude, the 15."

"NO WAY, I will not let you play him." (I saw he won the SA derby in the car ride, but the only thing I know all year is that calif fields have sucked, that's like the only thing I know about racing this year, no way I was gonna let him do that. Back in Barbaro's derby IIRC, he phone me at this same place Cracked Claw, to place a bet on Achilles of Troy, remember that one? I think he was a Calif/Baffert horse that ran very erratic in the lane. I reminded him about that one).

I suggest the 16. He comes up with the 13. I like the 13. So now we got

1-8-13-16-17-19. 6x5x4 for $120.

Now I figured we should chop one or two horses from top slot and add another horse to bottom two slots. So have 7 horses w/ only 4 in the top slot so like 4x6x5 for another $120. I come up with Master of Hounds the 11.

"No, foreign shippers never win this."

"Yes but that's what worries me he could hit the board. "

I briefly saw Rosie Napravnik on the 7 getting good money, but there's no way she wins the derby. but she could hit the board; Shakelford was my next choice, I have no idea why... I rejected the 3 horse with Borel for reasons that were well stated on this board. Stay thirsty the 4 had traffic trouble in every race, forget him.

But buddy insists we have to do all 6 in all the slots. You know, that's the sort of logic that you cant really argue with in racing Okay I forget the other picks and accept that it's a team effort and I have to go along a little.

So we are watching the race outdoors in the smoking porch with no sound, and we cant even see the saddle numbers or at least I had no idea.I figure I am going to get beat by Rosie clunking up for 3rd or some stupid longshot like Derby Kitten. No way the Calif beats me.

My buddy did his "secret hedge bet" putting money on the 14 and the 11. Just so he could laugh at me if the Baffert Calif horse won.

Then buddy starts talking about Shakleford as they round the turn, and I cant even figure out what is going on without the sound. So we see the race finish and have no idea. No one sitting on the porch has any idea and Donna is already interviewing the jock..

I figure I got beat by Shakleford at least, and Rosie or the 2 prolly...

They flash the 16. My roomie is bitchin "why dont they show the numbers?"

"Dude we got the winner, the 16..."

He's still bitching and they flash 19/13. I'm thinking there's no photo, that's it!

Yay! We made a big scene, slappin each other but we didnt care...

Best day of racing ever.

point given
05-07-2011, 08:42 PM
congrats on your score. In the future yu may want toconsider not celebrating so much in a public place as you never know if a person has a pea shooter and would like your ticket

Relwob Owner
05-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Well done.......great story. I have been where you bet it and it must have been a great scene.

JPinMaryland
05-07-2011, 08:47 PM
yeah it was hilarious. You know the scene, some chicks dressed up real nice, and some biker types just a real mix. Lots of people saw us, my roomie was hammered and he's pretty large. We left pretty quickly after that.

oh BTW: I got a lot of good tips here this morning, which was all I had to on with short notice. so thanks :ThmbUp: