PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom winners

Skanoochies
05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats to all those that had this horse. Nice price and I hope you all had a big score. I left him right out. My bad.
Big crowd and great day. Really enjoyed it.( Even if I lost.) :ThmbUp: :lol:

Jasonm921
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Dude I was so off on this horse that I actually put numbers in a bag and blindly pulled 20 straight triples and not one of the numbers pulled were Animal Kingdom's. So my handicapping skills and luck were clearly lacking on this day.

Lon Chaney
05-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Congrats to all those that had this horse. Nice price and I hope you all had a big score. I left him right out. My bad.
Big crowd and great day. Really enjoyed it.( Even if I lost.) :ThmbUp: :lol:

This is from my post earlier today. I cant believe that he went off at 20-1.

I'm like Animal Kingdom in this race. He is visually impressive, has great bloodlines for the distance, can rate, and has finished 1 and 2 in all his races. I am worried about the first time on dirt but his work last week makes me feel a little better. Plus his price in this field is should be somewhere between 12-1 and 18-1.

Oh, and my wife told me 2 weeks before the post position draw that she wants #16.

so.......

$2 exacta

/all

all/

$20 WPS on

and then my customary Triple crown bets

$2 EB (which hit last year!)
$1 TB (my birthday)

Total $106

Good Luck!

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Nice Lon! But 20-1 was too SHORT a price if you ask me... :eek:

Shelby
05-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I had Animal Kingdom and Mucho..no Nehro *sigh* I didn't like Nehro.. Now I really don't like him lol.

depalma113
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I had Animal Kingdom and Mucho..no Nehro *sigh* I didn't like Nehro.. Now I really don't like him lol.

Amen

Zippy Chippy
05-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Does ANone know what the exacta paid?

I had my yearly ALL/ALL im guessing i might have made 1 or 200. I can't find results anywhere.. been googling

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2011, 07:52 PM
$310 for a deuce

Looks like you would have lost $374?

Si2see
05-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Nice Lon! But 20-1 was too SHORT a price if you ask me... :eek:

First time since I have been a member here have I questioned your post , but why do you think it was too short of a price in such a wide open race?

FantasticDan
05-07-2011, 08:26 PM
The EX paid $329.80.

Animal Kingdom really turned heads all week.. Steve Haskin was particularly taken with him. This year's Derby trail has been a real snorefest for me, so I had no favorites and wasn't inspired to spend much $$, but I did stop at the OTB to put a $10W on AK. I was also gonna put him on top/ALL of an EX, but as I stood in front of the machine I changed my mind to a box with a handful of others.. which stupidly didn't include Nehro. I thought his price was too short, and I'd read his workout over the track was unimpressive. I was really hoping Shackleford would hold on (did use him), and he had good courage, but it was too much after being out front..

JPinMaryland
05-07-2011, 08:56 PM
You know I was watching the odds on Animal Kingdom and he was dropping. He was ml 30-1 and he dropped to 20-1. the only other one that I saw drop was Rosie Napravnik's on the 7, from 20-1 to 7-1 I guess; that had me worried. Nehru climbed from 6-1 to 9-1, prolly on account of the post, but had no worries about that.

point given
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Caught the exacta for a buck on a 10 horse back wheel with Nehro as he had 2nds in his two stakes tries, don't know why they had Nehro so closeup in the race which diminished his late kick, his strength.

JPinMaryland
05-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I respect your thoughts but it's hard to imagine how Nehro could gone much faster in his final quarter. I make his out to be 24.8 and to do it faster how many lengths do you have to take him back? 3? 4? And lose another 1/2 second there...

Strategically, why would you want to take him back on a slow pace anyhow? It figures to favor horses close up. So you have to consider that as well.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
First time since I have been a member here have I questioned your post , but why do you think it was too short of a price in such a wide open race?It's just my personal opinion. He was 30-1 on the morning line, he had never raced on dirt before, and about the only thing he had going for him was his trainer (and a positive jockey switch).

Not something people tend to bet down in the Derby.

InTheRiver68
05-07-2011, 11:03 PM
I only made three bets. $1 tri box 1-8-13-14-16-19, $5 ex box 8-16, and $10 WPS on the 16. Nice day. (And if they'd had 10c superfectas, I would have had used the same numbers. A $36 bet I can justify ... $360, not so much.)

A $1,976.20 triple is an awfully nice thing, but I'm surprised it didn't pay more.

- InTheRiver68

nijinski
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Had him W/P very happy with that .

dav4463
05-08-2011, 02:10 AM
It's just my personal opinion. He was 30-1 on the morning line, he had never raced on dirt before, and about the only thing he had going for him was his trainer (and a positive jockey switch).

Not something people tend to bet down in the Derby.

He also had the highest Tomlinson rating for the distance. I bet Gasper Moschera had him!

CincyHorseplayer
05-08-2011, 02:36 AM
I've got to thank CJ.Thanks brother.For posting the pace and speed figs for the preps.I knew handicapping the race that the Spiral was going to have a hot pace.To see it and see AK's breeding line I had him with Nehro,my key horse, top and bottom,plus Arch multiple times.It was $1 box for about 6 others.The pace picture set it up for an offspeed combination.The pace figures really separated the contenders.A great combination!!If possible you'll be seeing my subscription in soon CJ:ThmbUp:

And man I hate to redboard.It really was an all hours of the day draining,handicapping affair of love this weekend and I didn't have much time between sleep to post my picks,but I was proud as hell of Get Stormy in the Turf Classic.There was no pace in that turf race at F-in all and he wired them at 7-1.Had the 9th race exacta multiple too.Clean sweep.I'm only Joe $20 bettor but hooked over a G spot!!

All of your all's input and analysis was awesome and insightful leading up to today.Let's kick this big summer season open baby!:cool:

uncbossfan
05-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Churchill Downs KY Derby 11 $50.00 WPS 16 ONLINE $150.00 $1,910.00
5/7/2011 4:54 PM Churchill Downs KY Derby 11 :jump:

Midnight was my original selection but I said I could not bet him under 10-1 so I moved to AK who I had #2. Split the $1 tri with a buddy as well. All in all profited over $2,300. Makes that my best Derby score ever.

jefftune
05-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Had Animal Kingdom in a saver win bet. So I got 8-5 on my total Ky Derby wager.

Plain Steve
05-08-2011, 10:30 AM
You know I was watching the odds on Animal Kingdom and he was dropping. He was ml 30-1 and he dropped to 20-1. the only other one that I saw drop was Rosie Napravnik's on the 7, from 20-1 to 7-1 I guess; that had me worried. Nehru climbed from 6-1 to 9-1, prolly on account of the post, but had no worries about that.

MOH 30-1 ML 12-1 with about 5 minutes to post

JPinMaryland
05-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Borel's horse came down some too, didnt it?

NWCTBob
05-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I too had Animal Kingdom and put and posted on the "View Derby Poll" post. Was just hoping for an in the money finish at nice odds which happened. I did a 3.00 ex. box the 8-15-16-19 for a nice score and Place and show for another nice score. Been following this trainer all spring and at Gulfstream and others. Mostly a turf guy, but his runners usually did pretty good no matter what surface, even when you'd never expect it. I've seen it time and again this spring often at nice prices, as I'm a mostly place and show better, looking for good odds to hit the board. After seeing the replay of the Sprial Stakes race, he was last getting pulverized from the track, looked like he was following a cloud but went around everyone and won. Then John V. gets the mount and I really confident, then JV wins the earlier race on Aikenite, and I figure he's gotta be there. I don't think the horse was even breathing hard after the race, he may go "All the Way" this year.

Plain Steve
05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Nice Lon! But 20-1 was too SHORT aprice if you ask me...

First time since I have been a member herehave I questioned your post , but why do you think it was too short of a pricein such a wide open race?

2nd in a msw
1st in a msw
2nd in a optional claiming race
1st in a G3 defeating Decsive Moment (39-1) and TwinspiredTS (33-1)

I suppose Team Valor bet him heavy.

Brilliant Speed (28-1) won a G1 on AWS, beating TS (33-1) a nose. AAA was 13-1 with a proven record (and a crummy post) At post time I threw a deuce to win on Shackelford because I felt 23-1 was high for him. I bet Santiva across at 34-1 and would do it all over again.

pandy
05-08-2011, 06:10 PM
The Derby winner had progressively faster figures so I guess guys who were smart enough to predict another forward move, which was likely in only 5th start, could have made a case for him, if you thought he could handle dirt.

However, you could have also made the same case for others in the race. Years ago you could eliminate any horse that didn't have at least one triple Beyer, but with these horses coming into the race with 4 starts, that is another Derby angle out the window.

keithw84
05-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Wasn't the will pay on the Oaks-Derby DD only 7-1 for Twice The Appeal? I think I saw that on TV and thought it was WAY too short of a price. Will be interesting to see if Borel has a big impact on odds next year.

hugh
05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I put down a small win bet on AK after seeing him in the post parade....
looked REALLY beautiful...
All in all .. with get stormy.... a profitable day.

HuggingTheRail
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
The Derby winner had progressively faster figures so I guess guys who were smart enough to predict another forward move, which was likely in only 5th start, could have made a case for him, if you thought he could handle dirt.

However, you could have also made the same case for others in the race. Years ago you could eliminate any horse that didn't have at least one triple Beyer, but with these horses coming into the race with 4 starts, that is another Derby angle out the window.

I posted my pick of Animal Kingdom before the race, and that the bolded text from Pandy basically explains how I landed on AK. Improving numbers, a running style that might be okay with the added distance, and a field that had many similar horses. I ruled out a half dozen, and then I mapped out how I though the race would unfold... (I actually draw it on a piece of paper - draw the oval track, and then plot the horses where I see them at the 1/4, 1/2 etc). Thought AK may be in the best position with 3-4 furlongs to go to get a good run at them. I'm glad it worked this time....

dav4463
05-10-2011, 02:46 AM
I liked him in the post parade too. Problem was I liked 17 of them!

rastajenk
05-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I have the feeling that in the years to come he will be the most redboarded Derby winner since Giacomo. Still can't believe he was 50-1 since everybody had him. :p

dav4463
05-13-2011, 02:12 AM
I have the feeling that in the years to come he will be the most redboarded Derby winner since Giacomo. Still can't believe he was 50-1 since everybody had him. :p

Wait until you get 50 flyers in the mail from Piesen, Moschera, etc. who will claim they not only had him, but made over $10,000 on the derby undercard!