PDA

View Full Version : Do they check photos for 5th place and below?

Zippy Chippy
05-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Im guessing the answer is no, but for instance what if 2 horses in the Derby today dead heat for 17th place. Who do they pick as far as who gets what placing? Is there a rule, lower number or something? Just curious about this.

rastajenk
05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
It would just be a plain ol' dead heat. Tie for 17th. No need to make it more complicated just 'cause it's the Derb.

Zippy Chippy
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
It would just be a plain ol' dead heat. Tie for 17th. No need to make it more complicated just 'cause it's the Derb.

I was just using the Derby for an example.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, they have the ability to check every finish position via the photo finish equipment.

Mineshaft
05-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Yes they check photos for 5th place and below because most track pay out for 5th place and some pay out thru 9th

LA Racing Lady
05-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Every place is checked using the photo finish equipment by the placing judges immediately after the race. This is the official order of finish and, that, along with the distances between the horses (neck, head, 3 lengths, etc) is relayed to Equibase to use in their charts. The official order of finish is also given to the Horseman's Bookkeeper immediately after the race so that the purse can be properly distributed.

Most times, only 5 places are paid. But in many stakes races, especially in Quarter Horse racing, all finishers are paid a percentage of the purse. Also, in Quarter Horse racing, the running times of each horse is in the photo finish, and this is most times the determining factor of Futurity qualifers. Serious business for Quarter Horse folks as .01 of a second or half a nose can translate to a lot of money in those million dollar futurities.

stu
05-08-2011, 05:51 AM
As a placing judge, I can tell you that every position is checked by the same technology before the race is made official regardless if position.

I personally have dead heated last place before. If it is a dead heat it gets marked a dead heat.