GARY Z
05-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Uncle Mo's Wood certainly signaled Physical or condition issues, and
during the last few weeks it became evident from the press and
last w/o this horse wasn't 100 %.

Iimportantly, after the post draw, this horse became a
toss and the late scratch of this horse effectively screws
another owner who could have drawn in were the Mo crew
transparent rather than selfishly scratching the day before the Derby..

Unless of course they were "protecting" Stay Thirsty.

camourous
05-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I remember when Baffert did this years ago with Danthebluegrassman, everyone was up in arms about it.. Pletcher does it and no one seems to care, doesn't make sense.

Robert Goren
05-07-2011, 10:55 AM
No matter how you cut it, this does not make the sport look good on its biggest day.

Stillriledup
05-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Versus is scrolling across the bottom of the screen that Uncle No was scratched due to a 'gastro infection'.

Now, try and explain this to me. Supposedly, "no" had this infection after the Wood Memorial....which means that he never actually got rid of the infection. In other words, he was entered in the Derby with the connections knowing he had this infection (which obviously means he wasnt ever running).

I guess we are just going on the 'word' of the connections that No does indeed have an infection, i mean, its anyone's guess if that's true or not, i wouldnt trust Repole and Plecher as far as i can throw them.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Look, it's the Derby. People are going to do whatever they can to get their horse to the race.

Perhaps they were being told this is the kind of thing that can change overnight. Why are you harping on this so much? You have no clue what the real story is (neither do I). You keep implying this was all some grand lie or conspiracy...let it go man...they aren't running the horse...that's a good thing.

Tom
05-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Big improvement for Pletcher - last time he had a horse with a "mysterious" condition, he ran her. :rolleyes:

A step closer to honesty? or Competence?

Stillriledup
05-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Look, it's the Derby. People are going to do whatever they can to get their horse to the race.

Perhaps they were being told this is the kind of thing that can change overnight. Why are you harping on this so much? You have no clue what the real story is (neither do I). You keep implying this was all some grand lie or conspiracy...let it go man...they aren't running the horse...that's a good thing.

So if they arent running, why not just say so from the beginning and not even enter the horse to begin with?

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
So if they arent running, why not just say so from the beginning and not even enter the horse to begin with?Because maybe, just maybe, they thought they might have a slim chance to get him to the gate. Call me naive. But that's what people with DERBY FEVER try and do when they think they have a good horse. THEY RATIONALIZE and they PROCRASTINATE and they give themselves every chance to make that dream.

This isn't rocket science.

You're looking at this with PERFECT 20/20 HINDSIGHT (well, maybe not perfect, but you get the point).

It's very easy to criticize when you already know the outcome.

Irish Boy
05-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Because maybe, just maybe, they thought they might have a slim chance to get him to the gate. Call me naive. But that's what people with DERBY FEVER try and do when they think they have a good horse. THEY RATIONALIZE and they PROCRASTINATE and they give themselves every chance to make that dream.

You're looking at this with PERFECT 20/20 HINDSIGHT (well, maybe not perfect, but you get the point).

You're being silly, PA. Anyone with a conscience would scratch their champion two year old and possible derby favorite at the first sign of trouble so that bettors have an easier go of things. It's the only reasonable thing to do, right?

They scratched him on Friday morning. No one bet a dime on Uncle Mo this weekend. People had plenty of time to adjust. No harm was done to the horse or to the public. People need to let this go.

Edward DeVere
05-08-2011, 12:37 AM
The only horse I felt good about betting in the Derby was Sway Away.

Mike Repole and Ken Ramsey either cost me money or saved me money. Call me crazy but I think they went to different schools together.

Stillriledup
05-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Because maybe, just maybe, they thought they might have a slim chance to get him to the gate. Call me naive. But that's what people with DERBY FEVER try and do when they think they have a good horse. THEY RATIONALIZE and they PROCRASTINATE and they give themselves every chance to make that dream.

I'm no vet, but i'd be willing to place a wager that if a horse had an infection in early April and was scratched due to this same infection, that means he still had the infection when they drew the race on Wednesday. As far as Derby Fever goes, the guy who owned the horse also had another horse in the race, so the derby fever argument goes out the window, it wasnt like this was his only horse, he was in the gate, he had his table all squared away in millionaires row, he had his box seat and he was going to be in the gate with a shot to win.

Rationalizing this is why this game is in the toilet. We keep giving people like this 'benefits of doubts' Im not interested in making excuses for stuff like this, people are running away from thoroughbred racing in droves because of shady dealings from the participants, this is just another example of that.

And lastly, i criticized BEFORE i knew the outcome, i didnt wait.

comet52
05-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Yeah, the late scratch of a derby contender is just tragic for the sport of horseracing. I wonder if it will survive this heinous act... :rolleyes:

nijinski
05-08-2011, 07:05 AM
I'm no vet, but i'd be willing to place a wager that if a horse had an infection in early April and was scratched due to this same infection, that means he still had the infection when they drew the race on Wednesday. As far as Derby Fever goes, the guy who owned the horse also had another horse in the race, so the derby fever argument goes out the window, it wasnt like this was his only horse, he was in the gate, he had his table all squared away in millionaires row, he had his box seat and he was going to be in the gate with a shot to win.

Rationalizing this is why this game is in the toilet. We keep giving people like this 'benefits of doubts' Im not interested in making excuses for stuff like this, people are running away from thoroughbred racing in droves because of shady dealings from the participants, this is just another example of that.

I don't agree that the majority of the wagering public will exit due to matters
like this. Go to a simulcast , they're not discussing it. ( Oh Mo he scratched ,
so who do you have for me , maybe I'll get a price) was the average echo
yesterday.
Riled relax and look at the whole picture. Three Vets cleared Mo to run , but obviously Pletcher is not happy with his appearance. An enzyme is elevated ,
not his white count , so as of last test , no infection , just a lot of baffling questions.
From the way Repole and Pletcher looked Friday there's no doubt in my mind he's shipping to a top Veterinary facility very soon and especially in light of the
unfortunate loss of Devil May Care. I think they'd have to be crazy to stage this.

My fingers will be crossed for Mo that he gets a treatable DX and comes
back running in the future.

BTW Repole had about 100 guests in town and with no disrespect to Stay
Thirsty , I doubt they were all gathered to see him .

GARY Z
05-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Since I started the thread, let me attempt to obtain closure.

UM's record,: 5 starts, 4 wins 1 show(the Wood).

Winner of the Breeders Cup, and, if healthy, clearly the Horse to beat.

Issues abound AfTER the Wood, including a huge space in works
between 4/3-4/25.

Every public handicapper, the press, and most knowledgeable handicappers
were questioning the soundness of this Champion during the past month.

Did anyone think UM would do a 180 turnaround in 4-5days,
and ,even if he did, would YOU as the owner, still risk racing the horse from
the 18 post??

The fans and the genral public deserved better treatment, including
the next eligible horse/owner who could have competed on Derby Day.

Finally, while the Ky Derby generally spells big $$ for the owner
as a breeder, the Breeders Cup winner can benchmark
horse of the Year honors and even more $$ as a breeder.

The point: This owner/trainer should have scratched way earlier
than a day before the Derby.

Stillriledup
05-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Since I started the thread, let me attempt to obtain closure.

UM's record,: 5 starts, 4 wins 1 show(the Wood).

Winner of the Breeders Cup, and, if healthy, clearly the Horse to beat.

Issues abound AfTER the Wood, including a huge space in works
between 4/3-4/25.

Every public handicapper, the press, and most knowledgeable handicappers
were questioning the soundness of this Champion during the past month.

Did anyone think UM would do a 180 turnaround in 4-5days,
and ,even if he did, would YOU as the owner, still risk racing the horse from
the 18 post??

The fans and the genral public deserved better treatment, including
the next eligible horse/owner who could have competed on Derby Day.

Finally, while the Ky Derby generally spells big $$ for the owner
as a breeder, the Breeders Cup winner can benchmark
horse of the Year honors and even more $$ as a breeder.

The point: This owner/trainer should have scratched way earlier
than a day before the Derby.

Exactly. We didnt need that blank spot up on the board to remind us of the 'sadness' of a guy with more money than most people.

We didnt need to be part of their 'drama'. Just stay out of the way and give someone else a chance. Unfortunately, this is the American way.

andtheyreoff
05-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Have you considered putting yourself in the shoes of someone with a major Derby contender with a day-by-day condition (more or less), who would probably not want to scratch his best shot at winning the world's biggest race?

You should change your screen name to "Extremelyriledup".