PDA

View Full Version : ADWs broken

GameTheory
05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Remember, no matter how much time they have to prepare, TwinSpires and other ADWs carrying Churchill tomorrow will get overwhelmed and getting your bet in near race time is a crapshoot. BET EARLY. It tends to get worse throughout the day -- the best times to get in are when one of the undercard races is IN PROGRESS.

And certainly don't expect the video to work...

Tom
05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Good point, GT....they NEVER have things ready for a big day.
Long on excuse, short on preperation.

PhantomOnTour
05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Was thinking the same thing myself.
By the the time the major Stks begin tomorrow you better be down on the Derby.

Tom
05-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Heck, POT, I was planning on getting in my Preakeness bets by noon! :D

Hoofless_Wonder
05-06-2011, 05:26 PM
There's not much an ADW can do to "get ready" for an ultra-busy day other than architect more servers, more network bandwidth, etc. Apparently the losses in revenue on the "big" days are not enough to justify spending the money to make their back end infrastructure capable of handling peak loads. It's not cost-effective to have the hardware resources laying around all year for just a few big days.

I believe in the case of Twin Spires anyway, they use Micro$oft SQL servers as part of their architecture - not really the top choice for applications that are extremely busy with transactions. Most financial companies use Oracle or DB2 running on Unix servers for that requirement.

My game plan will be to bet the exotics early online, and consider calling in their phone line as my backup plan for flat wagers. I won't want to make the final decision on those until they are out on the track for the post parade. Keep the ADW's toll free number, your account number, and pin handy......