PDA

View Full Version : A Common Misconception

Pell Mell
05-05-2011, 09:54 AM
First of all, this is only my opinion. I rarely state anything concerning horse racing as an absolute fact so just take it for what it's worth.

A common misconception, especially among newbies, is that, a horse that is closing but doesn't quite get there, will get there if it only has a longer race.
Having watched thousands of races during my many years at the track I reached this conclusion. Added distance is no advantage to a closer and in fact may hurt it's chances.

This may sound strange to many but this is my reasoning: Most horses can only sustain a drive for 1/4 to 3/8 of a mile. Therefore, no matter if it's 1 1/16, 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 miles, they will basically start there move about the same time. Now, as in the derby, where most are going from 1/1/8 to 1 1/4, they will have traveled an extra 1/8 of a mile before they start their move. Their position will usually be determined by the pace of the race. If the pace is rather slow the front runners will usually have enough left to hold off the closers. If the pace is very fast, and the race falls apart up front, it sets it up for a closer but not necessarily for a deep closer but one that has enough speed to keep in touch but is still being reserved.

What happens in many cases is that if the pace is fast the deep closers are forced out of their comfort zone in order to maintain contact with the field. And if they are going a longer distance than they have gone before, they may be out of their comfort zone for a much longer period of time, which in turn, saps them of the energy needed for the late kick.
This is why I think it's a mistake to think that , all he needs is more distance, because he's not actually getting more distance for his run, it's just that he must travel farther before he begins his run, and that's what kills a lot of horses not bred for the classic distances.

wisconsin
05-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Most people are under the impression that longer races actually favor closers. I have seen too many 2 mile starter races won wire to wire, or by a presser. A mile and a half on the truf, especially when soft, often favors speed. It's an optical illusion and closers often promise more than they can deliver.

In a race like the derby, except in very rare instances (Giamcomo and Grindstone recently), horses historically have been 1st or 2nd at the 1/8th pole. If the closer can't get there by that marker, he has no real chance.

Valuist
05-05-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree 100%. A perfect example of this is Archarcharch vs Nehro. While closing to win, Archarcharch moved decidedly quicker and took aim on Sway Away and another horse, likely never seeing Nehro. Nehro had a fast pace to close into, and had dead aim on Archarcharch to his outside, yet still didn't win. But who figures to be bet heavier? Even with the dreaded 19 hole, Nehro figures to be bet heavier, as the likely third, and possibly second betting choice.

Tom
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Mighty Topi - great closer at FL in the 70's.
He would close 20-30 lengths every race get beat a length or so to the best horses on the grounds at 1m70-1m8.

They put him in a 4m70 race and he closed over 50 lengths - to get beat a length!

Last weekend of the season, they dropped him from stakes/handicaps to a mid level claimer. Closed like a freight train - to get beat a length.

That was my awakening about closers.

Fingal
05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Most people are under the impression that longer races actually favor closers. I have seen too many 2 mile starter races won wire to wire, or by a presser. A mile and a half on the turf, especially when soft, often favors speed. It's an optical illusion and closers often promise more than they can deliver.

The longer you go, the more dangerous speed becomes.

captainhot
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
4 Miles and 70 yards! Now, there's a distance you don't see ran at much anymore.

Pell Mell
05-05-2011, 12:17 PM
In 1958 I was already into pedigree handicapping the classics. The public sweetheart was Silky Sullivan who could close 40 lengths and he got all the attention. I was in love with Tim Tam and made the first $200. bet of my life. That would probably be 2 Gs today or more. TT wins and instead of paying the 4/5 he should have been, he pays like $6.80. And Silky is still coming!

PS..TT won the Preakness and was leading in the Belmont when he broke down. Finished 2nd on 3 legs. Great horse!

Irish Boy
05-05-2011, 01:55 PM
4 Miles and 70 yards! Now, there's a distance you don't see ran at much anymore.
That's what happens when all people care about is speed, speed, speed. Hell, Alan Shubeck can tell you, even cheap claimers in Europe run 4m70 every other week with a 10 furlong race in between for conditioning.