PDA

View Full Version : Durkin

Ocala Mike
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Is it me or is Durkin heading in the same direction as Wallace at OP. Noticed his calls have not been very crisp lately, and I just heard his race 2 call at Belmont, a race with a small field, and he seemed to stumble at the end.

Realize it's a tough job, and I know about his anxiety problems about the TC calls, but just saying.

Ocala Mike :confused:

JeremyJet
06-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Is it me or is Durkin heading in the same direction as Wallace at OP. Noticed his calls have not been very crisp lately, and I just heard his race 2 call at Belmont, a race with a small field, and he seemed to stumble at the end.

Realize it's a tough job, and I know about his anxiety problems about the TC calls, but just saying.

Ocala Mike :confused:

The usual suspects came to his defence after last years Belmont, but it was obvious something was not right. We then hear of the anxiety problems this year. I guess the "haters" were on to something.

Listening to his recent calls, it seems that he's running out of air. He seems to pause after a horse or two to catch his breath. It might not be a bad idea if Tom shed a few pounds. Either that, or he's a smoker.

Regards,

JeremyJet

Robert Fischer
06-03-2011, 04:54 PM
The usual suspects came to his defence after last years Belmont, but it was obvious something was not right. We then hear of the anxiety problems this year. I guess the "haters" were on to something.

Listening to his recent calls, it seems that he's running out of air. He seems to pause after a horse or two to catch his breath. It might not be a bad idea if Tom shed a few pounds. Either that, or he's a smoker.

Regards,

JeremyJet

"eff"-that , Durkin is doing fine.

I got more to worry about with the horses, so I couldn't tell you his mistakes, whether he has put on a few pounds or lost a few, I can't give you an armchair psychiatric reading into whether some error he made was due to anxiety, and I can't be bothered with guessing about whether or not he smokes. However while on this sort of wild personal guessing over-analyzing about somebody who has been good for a long time at what they do, I would guess that his smooth delivery is partially due to talking to a LOT of hot babes, although I don't know his marital status.

either , or he continues to be pleasant to listen to IMHO

JustRalph
06-03-2011, 05:33 PM
...They are coming to the top of the stretch, it is still the filly in front, a dramatic stretch drive awaits in the Woodward Stakes, on the outside here's Bullsbay, and Calvin Borel imploring his filly for more, and Rachel Alexandra holds on to the lead, Bullsbay is second, Macho Again is making a tremendous run from the back of the pack, Rachel Alexandra, Macho Again, they are coming to the finish, it's gonna be a desperately close, here's the wire, Rachel won, she is indeed Rachel Alexandra the Great, beating Macho Again here, and further back is Bullsbay in 3rd, the time was 1:48 and one, Rachel Alexandra raises the rafters here at the Spa. (2009 Woodward Stakes) ”

“ And at the top of the stretch, a filly is in front at the Belmont! But Curlin is right there with her! These two, in a battle of the sexes in the Belmont Stakes! It is Curlin on the inside! Rags to Riches on the outside! A desperate finish! Rags to Riches and Curlin! They're coming down to the wire! It's going to be very close! And it's going to be...A FILLY IN THE BELMONT! Rags to Riches has beaten Curlin and a hundred years of Belmont history! The first filly to win it in over a century.
(2007 Belmont Stakes)

You guys sure love to beat up on a guy.

The above calls were all pretty damn good and all in the last 3 yrs or so.
The job he does is hard as hell. He is 60 years old. I am sure he has lost a step or two. Sometimes I can't believe the shit I read sometimes.

I used to be able to throw a baseball pretty damn good, and hit one too. I used to be able to do a bunch of shit I can't do now and I am just a little over fifty. We all have our peaks, and some of us reach a zenith that is noteworthy and above average. Tom Durkin did just that for many years it appears. But to beat a guy up as he is getting on a few years is shameful. He may have health problems, he may have some other problems. Why the urge to go after him when he makes 8 good calls a day and blows one? Christ all mighty,,,,,,, give the guy a break.

appistappis
06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
just ralph, i couldn't agree more.

"ohknowitsmymotherinlaw and she won't go away"

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
You're only as good as your last call.

cnollfan
06-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Is it me or is Durkin heading in the same direction as Wallace at OP.

While the direction might be the same, Durkin has a long, long, long way to plummet to approach Wallace's 2011 skill set.

OTM Al
06-03-2011, 06:56 PM

W(h)iner and still champion.

castaway01
06-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Hell of a post JustRalph.

Yeah, Durkin is off his peak, but he's still a lot better than most of the rest. Comparing him to Terry Wallace? C'mon. That's just trolling, isn't it, or you've never heard a race call before.

Relwob Owner
06-03-2011, 07:33 PM

I totally disagree....to me, a guy like Durkin is a lot like veteran sports announcers who have been doing it a long time. They may not be a crisp as they used to be but just hearing their voices gives the event they are covering a sort of context, enjoyment and excitement. I would take Durkin at his worst over most announcers.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
And here I was thinking Durkin has been sounding better since the pressure of the TC has been lifted off his shoulders....silly me I guess....

Relwob Owner
06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
And here I was thinking Durkin has been sounding better since the pressure of the TC has been lifted off his shoulders....silly me I guess....

That line of thinking wouldnt have been piling on the guy so what fun is that? I hadnt listened to him in a little bit and heard him recently and came away thinking the same thing you did.

GatetoWire
06-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Funny that this topic is posted today because I was listening to TVG on XM in my office today and happened to hear Durkin's call of the 3rd today.
Pretty simple turf race with a small 6 horse field.

The call was fantastic.
Here comes Proud Dame on the scene with who else....but Javier Castellano.

Even if he has slipped slightly he is still the best announcer by a mile.

Comparing Durkin to Terry Wallace is like comparing Genuine Risk to Rachel Alexandra.

thaskalos
06-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Even if he has slipped slightly he is still the best announcer by a mile.

It would be a lot easier for some of us to stop criticizing Durkin's recent race calls...if it were not for comments like these.

The current version of Tom Durkin..."best by a mile"?

C'mon...

GatetoWire
06-03-2011, 09:37 PM
It would be a lot easier for some of us to stop criticizing Durkin's recent race calls...if it were not for comments like these.

The current version of Tom Durkin..."best by a mile"?

C'mon...

Yes...by a mile.

I really like Larry Collmus, John Dooley and Vic Stauffer but they are all far behind Durkin as the best race caller around.

jk3521
06-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Leave Tom Durkin alone! The man is a legend.

craigbraddick
06-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I do not know Tom but he is a great "performer" (in the best sense of the word) even though I do not think his style of calling would be good to emulate with my accent!

And like the best performers, I think he will know when it is time to quit, his game will still be in tact with just enough of a sparkle of brilliance to forever having the audience wanting a bit more. And that is the mark of a true champion and a very shrewd man.

In many ways, he reminds me of Jack Nicklaus. When Jack was in his fifties and early sixties he could still play some great golf in short stretches and even his ordinary golf was still good enough not to shame himself. Just as Jack knew when it was time to hang it up before his game folded on him, I am sure Tom will as well. The best know it and they trust their decisions.

Craig.

cj's dad
06-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Since this site is probably most frequented by horseplayers I wonder why there is so much criticism of announcers. Is that why you go to the track? I've been to many and at most the call is inaudible, so why the big deal ??

Cardus
06-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Since this site is probably most frequented by people who do not wager, I need not wonder why there is so much criticism of announcers.

If you don't mind.

Edward DeVere
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Since this site is probably most frequented by horseplayers I wonder why there is so much criticism of announcers. Is that why you go to the track? I've been to many and at most the call is inaudible, so why the big deal ??

They have this thing now called "television." They have this other little thing called the "internet.""

Fastracehorse
06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I do not know Tom but he is a great "performer" (in the best sense of the word) even though I do not think his style of calling would be good to emulate with my accent!

And like the best performers, I think he will know when it is time to quit, his game will still be in tact with just enough of a sparkle of brilliance to forever having the audience wanting a bit more. And that is the mark of a true champion and a very shrewd man.

In many ways, he reminds me of Jack Nicklaus. When Jack was in his fifties and early sixties he could still play some great golf in short stretches and even his ordinary golf was still good enough not to shame himself. Just as Jack knew when it was time to hang it up before his game folded on him, I am sure Tom will as well. The best know it and they trust their decisions.

Craig.

......he was singing b4 the Spa's first race the year before. It rained last year for the opener.

fffastt

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2011, 11:24 PM
If you don't mind.Whatever.

As TLG is fond of writing, "The silliness never ends..."

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 11:49 PM
I totally disagree....to me, a guy like Durkin is a lot like veteran sports announcers who have been doing it a long time. They may not be a crisp as they used to be but just hearing their voices gives the event they are covering a sort of context, enjoyment and excitement. I would take Durkin at his worst over most announcers.

You disagree at one of the most famous sayings in all the world? "You're only as good as your last..." is fairly popular. There's a reason its popular.

I think all of us would love to be able to 'rest on our laurels' in our occupations, but i'm afraid it doesnt' work quite that way for most.

Tom
06-04-2011, 12:31 AM
You're only as good as your last post!

Stillriledup
06-04-2011, 12:37 AM
You're only as good as your last post!

Exactly! :D

Fastracehorse
06-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Exactly! :D

......Tom did get U there :)

fffastt

Jasonm921
06-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Someday we will hear the next NYRA announcer and we will wish he is half as good as Durkin was in his 60's.

Just for fun listen to these stretch drives from Breeder's Cups past. I swear the 89 Classic call, especially with the music in this video could be straight out of a movie....very poetic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv4STkINHQg

llegend39
06-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Its time- ITs time to stick a name tag on him and send him out to the dog track BRING ON FRANK M.!

Cardus
06-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Its time- ITs time to stick a name tag on him and send him out to the dog track BRING ON FRANK M.!

Why, does he post here?

Milkshaker
06-04-2011, 10:09 AM
It should be possible to treat Mr. Durkin with respect and dignity while also recognizing that as a public figure, his performance is going to leave him open to both praise and criticism. You don't undertake the prestigious gigs Tom has (or has had in the past) without realizing your job inherently involves performing under a microscope.

Great quote from boxer Bernard Hopkins in the 6/3 NY Times that is relevant here:

“The young is always there to replace what we call the old,” he said. “That’s the process, even in nature. The young is in the game. The old has to stay in the game. That’s the difference, in corporate America, in sports. Why do we say, the next Michael Jordan? Because that’s the process.”

Canarsie
06-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I just don't understand knocking announcers you can turn down the volume if it bothers you so much. When I hear someone say they don't play a track because of their announcer that's insanity at it's best.

Ralph Kiner still does a few innings once in a blue moon for the Mets. His speech is a little slow and slightly slurred, his age shows, yet he is a legend I never get tired of hearing. If I didn't care for it the same deal applies turn down the volume you can see what's going on.

The only thing that bugs me from any announcer is that if it's a tight finish and they say "you make the call". To me that is unprofessional give the horses names that hit the wire together.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 11:02 AM
When I hear someone say they don't play a track because of their announcer that's insanity at it's best.I agree. Perhaps the people who say this aren't actually wagering their hard-earned dollars?

Quite simply, a good bet is a good bet...it wouldn't matter if Julie Krone herself was the announcer... :lol:

FantasticDan
06-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I've always enjoyed his performance and will continue to, but I'll admit that when watching the replay show on MSG+, all the deep (almost gulping) breaths he takes during a call are very noticeable and can get distracting..

Peter Berry
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I just don't understand knocking announcers you can turn down the volume if it bothers you so much. When I hear someone say they don't play a track because of their announcer that's insanity at it's best.

Color me insane.

castaway01
06-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Color me insane.

So as an announcer, you'd say that if people don't like your accent, it would be logical for them to not play your track, even if they could pick winners there?

Wow.

Peter Berry
06-04-2011, 01:42 PM
So as an announcer, you'd say that if people don't like your accent, it would be logical for them to not play your track, even if they could pick winners there?

Wow.
Not necessarily. Race calls are important to me. I want to hear an accurate call of a race on which I bet. If I can't get that, I won't bet that track. Nor will I bet a track where the announcer stops calling after naming the winner. If race calls are not important to a player, the announcer's accent, style or content is irrelevant. I'm sure there are players who avoid Mountaineer because of my accent.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Race calls are important. The very good announcers naturally enable their calls to become a vital PART of the game, unlike the not-so-very good announcers, whose calls leave you with the feeling that they are merely observers providing a description of the action.

Your calls belong in the former category in my opinion, as I consider you to be a very good announcer.

With that said, I won't let an announcer, be they good or bad, prevent me from making what I consider to be a worthwhile wager.

Peter Berry
06-04-2011, 02:22 PM
With that said, I won't let an announcer, be they good or bad, prevent me from making what I consider to be a worthwhile wager.
Any track that treats players with such disdain that it won't hire an acceptable announcer does not deserve my patronage. That said, I am happy to play most tracks.

wisconsin
06-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Any track that treats players with such disdain that it won't hire an acceptable announcer does not deserve my patronage. That said, I am happy to play most tracks.

Not that anyone would call out their peers, but deep down inside, I wish I knew what tracks you would not play..... ;)

Keep up the good work, you are a pleasure to listen to.

Robert Fischer
06-04-2011, 03:04 PM
interesting.

I would have assumed that announcers would defend even the sub-standard colleagues, but it makes good sense that someone with a passion about announcing (like Mr. Peter Berry) would be sensitive to it.

I'm in the PA category... where a lousy race call won't get in the way of my horseplaying.

(background music)
Heres a knuckleball..
- as someone who watches too many replays = this is likely not on everyone's checklist for announcer's :lol: but Durkin's rhythm and smooth delivery goes great with my red hot chili peppers instrumnetal cd :cool:.

I'm sure pretty much EVERYONE likes a sincere, lively stretch call - what an adrenalin rush! I can't name the best guys at that, but would make an interesting discussion some time.

craigbraddick
06-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Robert:

I think the fact some announcers (myself included) truly have a passion and a desire to continually improve is exactly WHY some of us will not defend sub-standard race calling.

A track should hire a good announcer. One who can get through the field, call accurately, not use the same phrases race after race and should compliment the action, not become the action. He should also have a wide vocabulary and be able to tell the story of a race, not just recite the order. I also think there is an increasing need for the Announcer to have good customer service skills and become part of the marketing team, but that's for another discussion.

There are definitely some tracks I will not play because the caller is so poor. From a personal viewpoint why contribute money to someone who does a poor job and never seems or wants to improve when I know there are better callers who could do a better job?

But I am not going to say what tracks they are on here. All I can do is strive to do better every single time, myself. If I can do that, maybe one day, I will be as good as Peter Berry or Trevor Denman or Robert Geller.

Craig.

The Hawk
06-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Quite simply, a good bet is a good bet...it wouldn't matter if Julie Krone herself was the announcer... :lol:

:ThmbUp:

Now THAT's an announcer that would make you tune in and listen....at first.

v j stauffer
06-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Assinine, classless post. Please crawl back under your rock.

NJ Stinks
06-05-2011, 01:14 AM
IMO ever since Tom Durkin announced he was giving up the Triple Crowns calls, it seems like his calls are more relaxed. It's like he got a bounce in his step again - if that makes any sense.

At any rate, I do hope he is enjoying himself again. Because I really do enjoy his work. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

llegend39
06-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Assinine, classless post. Please crawl back under your rock.

Well with some of your calls lately,maybe you should join him. Im entitled to my opinion just like anybody here, whether you agree or not It was more of an IMUS joke he uses when he thinks some of his guests are starting to lose it. Give over yourselfs

Canarsie
06-05-2011, 08:19 AM
This is an interesting topic especially since there are some pros chiming in. :ThmbUp:

So let me pose this question to them.

Would you play a track where an announcer was in the 'A" category but due to father time his skills have diminished?

You guys are a rare breed there are far less of you in the world than CCIE's.

http://www.networkstraining.com/number-of-ccie-certified-in-the-world/

Let me close with when they have guest announcers for a race at a track 99.9% wish it was called by the regular person. It's a very hard thing to do 8-12 times a day or night. Something is easy to knock till you try it and then "appreciation" sets in.

smartybadger
06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Well with some of your calls lately,maybe you should join him. Im entitled to my opinion just like anybody here, whether you agree or not It was more of an IMUS joke he uses when he thinks some of his guests are starting to lose it. Give over yourselfs

Durkin is still great, Vic is great. Looking forward to Durkin's call this upcoming Saturday, and always enjoy hearing Vic call a big race. Show some class pal.

GARY Z
06-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Tom has always delivered a crisp and often dramatic call which
is second to none.

He was been careful of late on photo finishes, which is what professional announcers should do.

Importantly, he gives a wakeup call to Moe,Larry,Curly
(aka the Stewards) which is often not the case with most other
announcers in NY or across the country.

As I've posted before, the only announcer that comes close in his
call is Vic Stauffer.

Ocala Mike
06-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm glad to see that this thread I started has elicited a wide variety of opinions (understatement) about Durkin, including from some pros who I consider to be among the best, like Vic. I don't understand, however, the fact that I posted after a SPECIFIC call back in early May, and the thread lay dormant for nearly a month only to be resurrected last week.

Anyway, I do note as someone else posted on here that his calls of late do seem to be of the same high quality that we're used to; that one I commented on was an aberration.

Do you all think he'll be able to work through his anxiety for the upcoming Belmont? Being the NYRA announcer, I am assuming he's calling the race, right?

Ocala Mike

(They'd have to sprout wings to catch Fred Capposella as best track announcer all-time; the gold standard!)

v j stauffer
06-05-2011, 01:06 PM

I've "give" over myselfs a long time ago. Anyone on this forum will tell you I can take it and dish it out just like any horse racing lover. I lost any vanity about my racecalls many moons ago. Take whatever shots you see fit.

However, denegrating a legend and a friend just won't do. Durkin and Imus are icons. When you reach that status perhaps your attacks won't seem so trivial. Until then. Please try to show a little respect and tact. Of course you"re entitled to your opinion.

Fire away.

Jasonm921
06-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I just listened to two races from Louisiana Downs. You can tell that announcer (sorry don't know his name) must have studied Durkin because the cadence and delivery are very similar.

thaskalos
06-05-2011, 03:14 PM
However, denegrating a legend and a friend just won't do. Durkin and Imus are icons. When you reach that status perhaps your attacks won't seem so trivial. Until then. Please try to show a little respect and tact. Of course you"re entitled to your opinion.

Question...

How can we be "entitled to our opinion"...and, at the same time...be accused of "denigrating a legend and a friend"?

And why should we wait to reach his "legendary" status...before we can credibly criticize his calls?

After all...Durkin is a racetrack announcer, not a candidate for sainthood...

Trevor Denman is criticized mercilessly on this board...and now Tom Durkin is suddenly "off limits"?

v j stauffer
06-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Question...

How can we be "entitled to our opinion"...and, at the same time...be accused of "denigrating a legend and a friend"?

And why should we wait to reach his "legendary" status...before we can credibly criticize his calls?

Trevor Denman is criticized mercilessly on this board...and now Tom Durkin is suddenly "off limits"?

Clearly he's not off limits nor should he be. Having an opinion and denegrating someone have nothing to do with each other. I can't stop or would I want to anyone that says anything. I can however excerise MY right to an opinion and respond to say I don't like what was said. Yes? Doesn't seem that complicated.

Relwob Owner
06-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Question...

I don't think it was the criticism in the one particular post but the suggestion to "stick a name tag on him and send him to a dog track" that got the subsequent response.

v j stauffer
06-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I just listened to two races from Louisiana Downs. You can tell that announcer (sorry don't know his name) must have studied Durkin because the cadence and delivery are very similar.

Travis Stone is a superb young racecaller. I know Tom was a huge influence on him and that Larry Collmus was very helpful in getting him started. Two pretty darn good early coaches I would say!

JustRalph
06-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Travis Stone is a superb young racecaller. I know Tom was a huge influence on him and that Larry Collmus was very helpful in getting him started. Two pretty darn good early coaches I would say!

and a member here too............

v j stauffer
06-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think it was the criticism in the one particular post but the suggestion to "stick a name tag on him and send him to a dog track" that got the subsequent response.

Bingo!

thaskalos
06-05-2011, 05:16 PM
My apologies...I should have been more attentive.

craigbraddick
06-05-2011, 06:42 PM
This is an interesting topic especially since there are some pros chiming in. :ThmbUp:

So let me pose this question to them.

Would you play a track where an announcer was in the 'A" category but due to father time his skills have diminished?

You guys are a rare breed there are far less of you in the world than CCIE's.

http://www.networkstraining.com/number-of-ccie-certified-in-the-world/

Let me close with when they have guest announcers for a race at a track 99.9% wish it was called by the regular person. It's a very hard thing to do 8-12 times a day or night. Something is easy to knock till you try it and then "appreciation" sets in.

I do until they get to the stage I can't stand it anymore!

Craig

TravisVOX
06-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks, Vic!

Jasonm921
06-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Travis never heard your calls before...very good job. Heard it from upstairs and had to go back down tothe living room and replay it. As a Durkin fan...I am happy there are other callers out there that can paint a picture as well.

TravisVOX
06-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Travis never heard your calls before...very good job. Heard it from upstairs and had to go back down tothe living room and replay it. As a Durkin fan...I am happy there are other callers out there that can paint a picture as well.

Thank you. I grew-up in upstate New York... Saratoga was my second home every summer. I miss it terribly every year. Hearing Tom Durkin there as a kid is what sparked my interest in race calling.

Pine Tree Lane
06-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Thank you. I grew-up in upstate New York... Saratoga was my second home every summer. I miss it terribly every year. Hearing Tom Durkin there as a kid is what sparked my interest in race calling.

I see a facebook relationship with Jason and Travis developing...It's what makes the game great.

Jasonm921
06-10-2011, 02:50 AM
I see a facebook relationship with Jason and Travis developing...It's what makes the game great.

True.

thespaah
06-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Regards,

JeremyJet

Durkin is one of the best ever to get behind the mic.

thespaah
06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
JUst watched the 8th at Belmont...Durkin sounded just fine. In fact , he's pretty darn sharp.

jognlope
06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I notice he sounds stronger now.

grant miller
06-11-2011, 03:26 AM
I think his race calls are aright . as a trotter boy ,I would like you to suffer thru robin burns(beeff-a-low),jim moran(vernon downs),or the worst, rodger(i scream) houston at meadows & tioga downs.-2--IMO, i hate the real or put on english accents of cali. racing ---dammit I,m american call the race with an american accent(sp) ! flame away!

thespaah
06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I think his race calls are aright . as a trotter boy ,I would like you to suffer thru robin burns(beeff-a-low),jim moran(vernon downs),or the worst, rodger(i scream) houston at meadows & tioga downs.-2--IMO, i hate the real or put on english accents of cali. racing ---dammit I,m american call the race with an american accent(sp) ! flame away!
Why Roger Houston still has the gig for the Little Brown Jug is a mystery.
That guy is obnoxious.
Imagine him getting the kids ready for school......
"You need to get down stairs NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWW!!!!!!!!!"

BlueShoe
06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
. as a trotter boy ,I would like you to suffer thru robin burns(beeff-a-low)
Burns called the harness races at HOL in the 70's and always liked his work. On the few occasions that I have heard him in recent years he still sounded good. The best harness announcer that I have ever heard was Roy Shudt.

judd
06-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Why Roger Houston still has the gig for the Little Brown Jug is a mystery.
That guy is obnoxious.
Imagine him getting the kids ready for school......
"You need to get down stairs NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWW!!!!!!!!!"

houston gets on my nerves at the meadows--he has 5 rings on each finger(total) of 10 :lol:

TravisVOX
06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Durkin sounded fantastic today. Both Tom and Larry with good calls on the Belmont.

v j stauffer
06-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Burns called the harness races at HOL in the 70's and always liked his work. On the few occasions that I have heard him in recent years he still sounded good. The best harness announcer that I have ever heard was Roy Shudt.

IMO Robin Burns is the greatest harness announcer that ever lived. " Wheel to wheel hub to hub three quarters in 121 and 1. It'll take your breath away!" He has a GREAT sort of sing songy harness cadence that I just love. Honorable mention. Roy Shudt, Joe Alto, Jack E. Lee, Tony Salvaro and the great Larry Lederman.

v j stauffer
06-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Durkin sounded fantastic today. Both Tom and Larry with good calls on the Belmont.

Sharp post VOX

The Hawk
06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
IMO Robin Burns is the greatest harness announcer that ever lived. " Wheel to wheel hub to hub three quarters in 121 and 1. It'll take your breath away!" He has a GREAT sort of sing songy harness cadence that I just love. Honorable mention. Roy Shudt, Joe Alto, Jack E. Lee, Tony Salvaro and the great Larry Lederman.

You know what's funny? Durkin was a truly great harness caller before he switched to Thoroughbreds.

v j stauffer
06-11-2011, 10:09 PM
You know what's funny? Durkin was a truly great harness caller before he switched to Thoroughbreds.

Indeed he was. Called em great at the Meadowlands. In fact that's the first place I ever had the pleasure of meeting Tom. I think he'd make historic calls if describing two spiders crawling up the wall.

Grits
06-12-2011, 12:45 AM

Travis, indeed, Tom did sound great.

toetoe
06-12-2011, 12:56 AM

I'm sure it's mere coincidence that one racecaller praises Durkin, and another racecaller praises the praiser.

Durkin didn't see what happened to Animal Kingdom, and apparently he didn't care. Does no one agree that he should mention the favorite in the first three furlongs? Something like "Animal Kingdom broke slowly ..." or "Oh, Animal Kingdom went to his knees, almost unseated his rider, and is hopelessly last ?"

thaskalos
06-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm sure it's mere coincidence that one racecaller praises Durkin, and another racecaller praises the praiser.

Durkin didn't see what happened to Animal Kingdom, and apparently he didn't care. Does no one agree that he should mention the favorite in the first three furlongs? Something like "Animal Kingdom broke slowly ..." or "Oh, Animal Kingdom went to his knees, almost unseated his rider, and is hopelessly last ?"
The trouble that AK got into was so blatant...that is would have been negligent for an announcer not to mention it - whether the horse was the favorite or not.

The fact that it happened to the favorite and Derby winner makes it negligent to the extreme...

affirmedny
06-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Durkin noticed Master of Hounds got left, Collmus didn't, I don't think either omission made for a bad call. Durkin called AK on his first run through the field and he emphasized that he was very far back. I don't see what else he could do unless announcers are supposed to call the field from the back to the front now.

thaskalos
06-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Durkin noticed Master of Hounds got left, Collmus didn't, I don't think either omission made for a bad call. Durkin called AK on his first run through the field and he emphasized that he was very far back. I don't see what else he could do unless announcers are supposed to call the field from the back to the front now.
I disagree...

Trouble out of the gate is the easiest to identify...because there is really nothing else going on right after the start.

An announcing "legend" should have done better IMO...

dinque
06-12-2011, 01:25 AM
you guys really care about the calls too much.....i am a little tired to hear how comfortably a horse is traveling or how everyone is happy with their position but that is a personal nitpick on my part....i would have really enjoyed vic's happiness about yodeling dan if he didn't beat me....actually i still enjoyed it..it is nice to have an announcer be both a gambler and a fan of the sport.kind of a throwback to my younger days......

dinque
06-12-2011, 01:32 AM
I disagree...

Trouble out of the gate is the easiest to identify...because there is really nothing else going on right after the start.

An announcing "legend" should have done better IMO...

it appeared he was looking for who got off bad and then quickly switched to the front and missed the trouble...that is the way i watched it as well....that he could have been looking for other trouble b4 turning to shackelford is a fair critique i guess....no one stays a legend forever

David-LV
06-12-2011, 01:52 AM

I think Sam McKee at the Meadowlands is one of the the all time great harness announcer's.

Just my opinion!

_________
David-LV

dinque
06-12-2011, 03:47 AM

ahhh brandywine.....always worth those 10 hour drives on sunday.....

BlueShoe
06-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Speaking of men that call both sports, with Larry Colmus at the Belmont who was in the booth at Monmouth? Did not play Jersey yesterday, but did happen to catch a couple of their races, and that sure sounded like Ken Warkentin. Was I mistaken or did he come over from Meadowlands and pinch hit?

The Hawk
06-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Speaking of men that call both sports, with Larry Colmus at the Belmont who was in the booth at Monmouth? Did not play Jersey yesterday, but did happen to catch a couple of their races, and that sure sounded like Ken Warkentin. Was I mistaken or did he come over from Meadowlands and pinch hit?

It was indeed Warkentin, who filled in for Collmus all three Triple Crown Saturdays.

jognlope
06-12-2011, 01:10 PM
He called yesterday's Belmont too and Colmus much better. Durkin didn't even mention AK's tripping. Still like Durkin and he's the Spa to me, when I go.

Ocala Mike
06-30-2011, 05:26 PM
I think he just called the wrong deep closer coming on down the stretch to get up in the 9th at Belmont. Corrected himself with the right horse just as the winner hit the wire to save face.

Probably distracted by making sure to pronounce the "mistake" horse's name right; gotta admit, he did a pretty good job with the Italian!

Ocala Mike

Spiderman
06-30-2011, 05:54 PM
I think he just called the wrong deep closer coming on down the stretch to get up in the 9th at Belmont. Corrected himself with the right horse just as the winner hit the wire to save face.

Probably distracted by making sure to pronounce the "mistake" horse's name right; gotta admit, he did a pretty good job with the Italian!

Ocala Mike

He did call the wrong horse. He lives in Italy when not announcing.

Robert Fischer
06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
the other day Durkin made a slight mistake, and I thought about posting about it online and insinuating that the mistake was due to declining skills.

Phantombridgejumpe
06-30-2011, 08:19 PM
overall they do a much better job that the people changing the numbers of the top 4 horses in a race!!

(That being said I don't want every track to do it like some tracks do and make it appear like we are watching a video game with dots running around an oval)

The Hawk
06-30-2011, 10:09 PM
the other day Durkin made a slight mistake, and I thought about posting about it online and insinuating that the mistake was due to declining skills.

No need.

Rise Over Run
07-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Kinda surprised no one has posted on this already. Durkin called the wrong horse the entire way around the track in Race 7 yesterday. He called the eventual winner (Close to the Vest) as Much Fanfare all the way around the track until a few strides before the wire. Much Fanfare had run about 90 minutes prior in race 4. The silks on each horse aren't similar at all. The only similarity is that Irad Ortiz was in the irons on both horses.

Canarsie
07-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Kinda surprised no one has posted on this already. Durkin called the wrong horse the entire way around the track in Race 7 yesterday. He called the eventual winner (Close to the Vest) as Much Fanfare all the way around the track until a few strides before the wire. Much Fanfare had run about 90 minutes prior in race 4. The silks on each horse aren't similar at all. The only similarity is that Irad Ortiz was in the irons on both horses.

Maybe because the majority here feel that Durkin at his worst is still far better than any replacement. He already did a very classy thing this year stepping aside for the triple crown.

An example could be Derek Jeter whose skill set isn't the same as it was when he was at his peak. But the fans still love and cherish him and rightfully so.

In both cases it's a matter of respect for two individuals who have given so much to their respective sports.

Off my soapbox.

JustRalph
07-16-2011, 07:53 AM

I bet that horse and was confused as hell for a minute. The graphics on the screen were right though..........

The Hawk
07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Maybe because the majority here feel that Durkin at his worst is still far better than any replacement. He already did a very classy thing this year stepping aside for the triple crown.

An example could be Derek Jeter whose skill set isn't the same as it was when he was at his peak. But the fans still love and cherish him and rightfully so.

In both cases it's a matter of respect for two individuals who have given so much to their respective sports.

Off my soapbox.

The difference is Durkin is ruining his legacy, while Jeter is not. Durkin at his worst is hardly "better than any replacement", he's embarrassing himself, much like Terry Wallace was doing before he was humiliated, and THEN retired. Thankfully he was smart enough to get off the national Triple Crown telecast but I really hope Durkin retires first before he goes that route.

affirmedny
07-16-2011, 09:24 AM
The difference is Durkin is ruining his legacy, while Jeter is not. Durkin at his worst is hardly "better than any replacement", he's embarrassing himself, much like Terry Wallace was doing before he was humiliated, and THEN retired. Thankfully he was smart enough to get off the national Triple Crown telecast but I really hope Durkin retires first before he goes that route.

Trevor Denman did this TEN years or so ago in a Grade 1 race. I don't remember any clamoring for his retirement. It happens and it doesn't necessarily mean you're losing your skills.

thaskalos
07-16-2011, 10:10 AM
There is no sense in discussing Tom Durkin's diminishing skills, because there is no common ground to build a debate on.

Any such discussion is sure to end up in an argument.

The Durkin fans are so fiercely loyal, they will treat the criticism of even the WORST of Durkin's calls as some sort of...blasphemy.

After last year's Belmont Stakes, there were members of this very site who were calling Durkin's Belmont race call "not his best, but still solid"...when, in fact, the call was laughable...and won't soon be forgotten. Every mistake a race announcer could have made, Durkin made during the stretch run of that race.

And now we hear that the WORST of Durkin is "FAR better than ANY replacement"?

Ludicrous...

pdxmike
07-16-2011, 10:20 AM
There is no sense in discussing Tom Durkin's diminishing skills, because there is no common ground to build a debate on.

Any such discussion is sure to end up in an argument.

The Durkin fans are so fiercely loyal, they will treat the criticism of even the WORST of Durkin's calls as some sort of...blasphemy.

After last year's Belmont Stakes, there were members of this very site who were calling Durkin's Belmont race call "not his best, but still solid"...when, in fact, the call was laughable...and won't soon be forgotten. Every mistake a race announcer could have made, Durkin made during the stretch run of that race.

And now we hear that the WORST of Durkin is "FAR better than ANY replacement"?

Ludicrous...

but yet you go ahead and discuss his "diminishing" skills

thaskalos
07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
but yet you go ahead and discuss his "diminishing" skills
No...I am NOT discussing his "diminishing skills"...

I am explaining why Durkin's latest gaffe went unreported on this board...:)

pdxmike
07-16-2011, 10:30 AM
when, in fact, the call was laughable...and won't soon be forgotten. Every mistake a race announcer could have made, Durkin made during the stretch run of that race.

Ludicrous...

hmmm

thaskalos
07-16-2011, 10:32 AM
That part was necessary in order to make my point...

It's also true...IMO.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2011, 11:34 PM
No...I am NOT discussing his "diminishing skills"...

I am explaining why Durkin's latest gaffe went unreported on this board...:)It did? :confused:

v j stauffer
07-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Always big fun to denegrate another human being when they make a mistake.

Nice.

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2011, 12:39 AM

Nice.You feel he's being criticized unfairly in the last few posts? I don't think I would go that far, and I'm a huge fan of his.

Any announcer who calls the wrong name for a significant part of a race gets called out here. Do you feel it's wrong of my membership base to do such a thing?

Don't you feel that if any other type of sports announcer were to do something similar, they would also be called out on various baseball, basketball or football message boards/blogs?

duncan04

Nice.

the beauty of the internet! :ThmbDown:

PaceAdvantage
the beauty of the internet! :ThmbDown:Maybe you too would like to provide perspective on my prior reply.

thaskalos
07-17-2011, 12:41 AM

Nice.
Sorry, but I couldn't ignore a comment like..."the worst of Durkin is far better than any replacement".

v j stauffer
07-17-2011, 12:42 AM
You feel he's being criticized unfairly in the last few posts? I don't think I would go that far, and I'm a huge fan of his.

Any announcer who calls the wrong name for a significant part of a race gets called out here. Do you feel it's wrong of my membership base to do such a thing?

Don't you feel that if any other type of sports announcer were to do something similar, they would also be called out on various baseball, basketball or football message boards/blogs?

I don't think it's unfair. I just don't like it much. Hits close to home because of what I do and my admiration of Tom.

The Hawk
07-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Nice.

This is bullsh*t Vic and you know it. This is what the board is about, bettors' opinions, and your jobs are obviously high profile. Criticism -- and adulation, in some cases -- is part of the job. Nothing to do with Tom as a human being.

Lasix67
07-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I hope Tom at least calls through this years Saratoga meet as I am going for Travers week and have been going every other year and this year is a little special as I am taking my mother in law who just lost her husband of over 40 years to experience Saratoga for her first time. This may also be one of my last chances to make it back to Saratoga for a while.

TrackManSam
07-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Durkin "was" a great Track Announcer. He had some memorable calls. But the sad fact is that with age, he is not who he once was, just like every other human being in the world when they get older. Now he is good, not great. In my opinion, he is still better then most.

WeirdWilly
07-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Leave Tom Durkin alone! The man is a legend.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2009/04/chris-crocker-leave-britney.jpg